Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 09:12   #1
BHPian

Shuddering on Civic

Hi,

would like your opinion on what could be wrong. I am not a car expert, so this seemed the best place to ask. My civic is an automatic, about 2 yrs old, 20K on the clock. been serviced regularly.
The symptoms are:
1. When I dont use the car for about a week and then start and move off, there is a relatively loud noise as if something had got stuck/locked and was releasing because of the movement. thereafter there is a rythmic clacking noise, but at low volume for about 3-4 kms. neither of this happens if I use it regularly.
2. If i slow down from high speed (120+), the car shudders when the brakes are being applied. I havent noticed this when slowing down from a slower speed, say 70-80kmph.

Am I right in thinking that something's wrong with the brake pads? or could the discs have warped? the car has never been in an accident.

TIA
PM
Old 5th September 2008, 11:44   #2
BHPian

Check the brake pads ,i think they might have to be replaced also the disc need to be checked ,thoug there could be other issue also but most likely the culprits are the worn out brake pads
Old 5th September 2008, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

While braking at high speed, does the entire car shudder or just the brake pedal? If latter, its just ABS kicking in. Discs usually don't need replacement at 20k. As suggested, check the pads and discs ASAP. Please don't delay.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check if the problems are there in another Civic auto. I dont expect the first problem to go away. I have read about similar complaint in other automatics too (non civic).
Old 5th September 2008, 13:00   #5
BHPian

thanks for your replies. The entire car shudders, not just the brake pedal. and it's happened on smooth highways (blr-mysore) braking in a straight line, so little need for ABS to kick in.
ok - off to dakshin honda tomorrow.
Old 5th September 2008, 14:57   #6

Hi
I have the first problem mentioned (the loud unlocking kinda thing and the clacking noise) in my Civic too. I also had it in my Santro. Asked the Honda service center guys and they said it was normal behavior. I am not fully satisfied that it would be normal behavior. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi
I have been having the first problem mentioned in my Civic too. When I start the car after a week or something, there is a heavy unlocking sound followed by the clacking noise mentioned by surfatwork. The service center guys said that it is normal. Wonder if someone has any idea about why this noise is happening.
Thanks
VJ

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th September 2008 at 16:07.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:52   #7
BHPian

I'd repeat what others are saying. The loud noise could be due the hand break getting stuck and the shudder could be worn out / warped rotors. Please get the breaks checked ASAP.

Does the Indian civic come with discs or drums in the rear? If drums, looks certainly like the pads are getting stuck.
Old 5th September 2008, 19:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Civic has discs all around.
Old 5th September 2008, 19:19   #9
BANNED

guys..i too have a similar problem with my M/T civic, when i start the car after 2 or more days, i too get a loud "TAK" noise from the rear of the car as if something is stuck. i keep my car parked with the handbrake on. my car is 10 months old and driven only 5k km. whatseems to be the issue here?
Old 5th September 2008, 19:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

I get the same noise in my Civic if I've been driving around when it rains and I've parked my car for a long duration.

What I found out was if one has been out driving in the rain and if you brake the car and then switch off before taking your foot off the brake, the discs stay engaged. Or it could be the handbrake. Somehow I felt it was the discs. After that its the same symptoms as described above.

Is it the car shuddering or the brake pedal when you brake? If its the brake pedal giving you feedback then its the ABS at work.

Also the discs do get heated up when you are driving and braking consistently during high speed drives. So when you brake, the sound that the braking makes feels like some sort of shudder. This happens only if I'm pushing my car upwards of 140+ for quite long stretches with lot of braking and accelerating. Once I start cruising or take a
"break" the sound disappears. I have an AT and I think this is exactly the same thing that you are experiencing.

However its best to check with the Honda Service guys if you are not sure. Better safe than sorry. :-)
Old 5th September 2008, 19:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Civic has discs all around.
Forgot you get what Honda sells as Acura CSX out here and not the civic!
Old 6th September 2008, 09:55   #12
BHPian

The first sound is probably the handbrake. I have the same sound on mine. I had the second problem at around 25K. See if there's grooves on the front discs. This might be causing the shudder. I had the same problem at around 20K. You need to get the front brake discs levelled.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:59   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

First problem seems to be the handbrake, as other Civic owners have posted. Either that or it is your automatic transmission hibernating. I remember this syndrome in my room-mates Accord from the States.

Quote:
If i slow down from high speed (120+), the car shudders when the brakes are being applied. I havent noticed this when slowing down from a slower speed, say 70-80kmph.
Very common problem with all cars. Do you feel the brake pedal / steering shimmering? Uneven brake pad / disc wear or tyre alignment / balancing issues. Get both of them checked up.
Am I right in thinking that something's wrong with the brake pads? or could the discs have warped? the car has never been in an accident.

TIA
PM[/quote]
Old 6th September 2008, 14:58   #14
BHPian

The dashboard of my Honda Civic MT rattles like a epileptic rattle snake two months post I bought it [that was Sept 2006, the car is May 2006 make]. Numerous complaints, fixes, refixes have not helped. The problem reappears every thousand km or so.

To use a bad pun, I now shudder at the thought of owning any honda ever.
Old 5th February 2009, 21:41   #15
BHPian

Civic Shudders when breaking hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
Hi,
If i slow down from high speed (120+), the car shudders when the brakes are being applied. I havent noticed this when slowing down from a slower speed, say 70-80kmph.
I have the same problem in my AT. The car shudders and the steering wheel vibrates. I am planning to get the front brake pads replaced. I was given an estimate of Rs.5,100/- for the pads. I have done 35K kms.

Can you let me know if your problem had already been solved? and How? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks