Team-BHP - Friction Modifier for LSD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Friction Modifier for LSD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/45298-friction-modifier-lsd.html)

OK, all owners of 4x4s with LSD, this one's for you - how many of you have used Friction Modifier along with your regular axle oil?

Friction Modifier, as the name may suggest, is a lubricant used in vehicles with Limited Slip Differentials. The reason for my query is that my Safari 4x4 is due for its 40 k kms service tomorrow & this is recommended to be added during axle oil change. The GM of the workshop that I'm planning to visit has also mentioned that they would be using an additive but AFAIK, the friction modifier is over & above.

If anyone has used this stuff, can you tell me which brand you had used? Thanks!

(Mods, did a search on friction modifier, didn't come up with anything, please feel free to merge/move if required)

Hi Suman,

AFAIK, I use a regular axle/diff oil in my 4x4. My Gypsy has the 'automatic locking diff', and not the LSD, so there is NO need for any special additive/friction modifier oil.

In LSD, yes there is a need for special oil. however I have no idea about it.

Cheers,

Thanks Shahnawaz, I know your Gypsy has locakable diff, was just wondering if you'd heard about the FM during the course of your 4x4 journey:)

It may also depends on type of LSD, there are 3 types. The Safari has the clutch type I think, GV has the torque-sensitive type, the CRV has the viscous type.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 966323)
The Safari has the clutch type I think, GV has the torque-sensitive type, the CRV has the viscous type.

Correct, the Safari has the clutch type which is what I'm asking about, sorry for not being more specific.

Btw, are you sure the CRV has Limited Slip diffs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 966346)
Btw, are you sure the CRV has Limited Slip diffs?

An on-road 4x4 vehicle like CRV got to have LSD.

I won't advise it. I read somewhere that too much lubricity is a problem for clutch. Thats the reason even motorcycles with wet clutches use engine oils which have less lubricity.
Since the Safari Clutch is also entrenched in oil, same would apply here.
Lets hear from the offroad experts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 966394)
I won't advise it. I read somewhere that too much lubricity is a problem for clutch.

The Safari owners manual also recommends it for LSD:D

I'm more curious about what brand it is available in - I can ask the workshop but wanted a second "source" so to speak. I have a nasty feeling that I will not get the "brand' reference here

I got 2 small bottles of friction Modifier which each LSD.

But I wanted and Indian replacement, for them and decided to use a Industrial Grade Chemoleums Turbo GL5 (Caltex Thuban GL5) 85w140 Gear Oil for my gearbox, transfer-case & Differentials.

This oil offers a very high level of lubrication compared to conventional Diff & Gearbox oils.

Also it can take a substantial amount of water fouling.

Regards,

Arka

Guys, thanks for your inputs.

Arka, thanks for details of that oil.

cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 966323)
It may also depends on type of LSD, there are 3 types. The Safari has the clutch type I think, GV has the torque-sensitive type, the CRV has the viscous type.

The Limited Slip Differentials Can be classified as

1) Torque Sensitive -
a) Clutch Type - Drive-Shaft Torque Activated
b) Geared Torque Sensitive - Torsen, Quife (ATBD)

2) Speed Sensitive -
a) Viscous Coupling
b) Electric

Time to bring up this old thread.
Without friction modifier(which reduces friction, not increases as I wrongly used to believe), the LSD life would be lesser.
Unfortunately, Castrol does sell a 85W140 Gear/Axle oil with friction modifier in the west, but in India you get just the regular 85W140

You do not even get the 90 LS oil from castrol.
LSD is an expensive replacement in the Safari, so would like to either get an oil with friction modifiers, or the friction modifier itself.

Where can I buy some in Delhi region?

Update: Aristo motors could arrange the Dana oil for LSD. Peace of mind, and a lighter wallet