Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 00:57   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its burning oil after overhaul??

Did you overheated the engine in any of your trips/drive etc.?

Please post in detail!
no sir alec, actually the job was done by a local but competent mechanic(in my opinion i thought), and the block was completely overhauled with new rings, pistons, sleeves, main engine beering, etc and sundries, but the head was not touched as he said that its in fine condition, now the car gives white smoke on cold starts and also post idling for some time, guzzles about a litre of oil for every 1000 kms. i just got a compression test done from the hyundai dealer and following were the results,
dry test:
cyl1: 12.5 kg/cm2
cyl2: 16.0
cyl3: 16.5
cyl 4: 16.2
wet test: 20 kg/cm2.
pls help me guys spent around 20k on the repair and dont want to sack off my baby, what to do now??????? also can somebody crack the compression test figures and tell me if they are ok or not???? should i go for the head overhaul or complete overhaul once again???????
Old 10th February 2009, 03:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

frankly speaking I am not much of a hyundai fan, hence haven't kept any service manual for it. So I do not know compression data of accent.
But you can download from Hyundai Service Website

As far as your problem is concerned do the following.
1. any traces of oil in coolant in the ratiator
2. any sign of leakage of oil on engine (especially where head sits)

In my opnion its defintely a bad overhaul job.

PS: BTW what did the hyundai guys who checked the compression said about the test.
Old 10th February 2009, 07:59   #33
BANNED

Your wet readings are not over 30psi so rings look OK however, it still looks like a poorly done machine job. Local lathe machines can't do the job with tolerances close to factory specs and therefore you invariably have poor seal as well as overheating issues. Changing the head won't do any good, do you have blue smoke coming out of your exhaust or white smoke when you start the engine cold?
Old 10th February 2009, 16:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
frankly speaking I am not much of a hyundai fan, hence haven't kept any service manual for it. So I do not know compression data of accent.
But you can download from Hyundai Service Website

As far as your problem is concerned do the following.
1. any traces of oil in coolant in the ratiator
2. any sign of leakage of oil on engine (especially where head sits)

In my opnion its defintely a bad overhaul job.

PS: BTW what did the hyundai guys who checked the compression said about the test.
hi there,
no trace of oil in coolant,
some oily dirt is there where the head sits but no sign of any major leakage as such,
hyundai says they need to open the engine and analyse it as the readings for cyl 1 are below the mark, and since the previous job is not hyundai authorised so they'll probably (if required) have to go for a complete overhaul which they say might cost anywhere between 60 to 70k.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Your wet readings are not over 30psi so rings look OK however, it still looks like a poorly done machine job. Local lathe machines can't do the job with tolerances close to factory specs and therefore you invariably have poor seal as well as overheating issues. Changing the head won't do any good, do you have blue smoke coming out of your exhaust or white smoke when you start the engine cold?
i'd say its whitish blue, surprisingly there's no smoke when the engine is revved hard at standstill. i personally feel that the valve seals might be the culprit here. during regular running the car seems quite smooth and peppy, there doesnt seem to be any loss of power. good economy as well, gave me 16 k's to a litre on highway run recently. and about 12 in city.

p.s and guys thanks for the concern and replies.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:30   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
i'd say its whitish blue, surprisingly there's no smoke when the engine is revved hard at standstill. i personally feel that the valve seals might be the culprit here. during regular running the car seems quite smooth and peppy, there doesnt seem to be any loss of power. good economy as well, gave me 16 k's to a litre on highway run recently. and about 12 in city.

p.s and guys thanks for the concern and replies.
If your valve seals are shot, usually it would be indicated by blue smoke during de-acceleration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks