Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Problem with spark plug and fuel filter

Dear Gurus

After 3 months of browsing this site i have finally joined t-bhp and am glad to be in the company of some truly amazing people who share the passion for driving and cars that i do too.

I have a '92 maruti 800 std which is in excellent condition, partly cause dad drove it for 13 out of the 16 years that we have owned it. Well, i've been driving it for the last 8 years now and had an experience that has really surprised me. after getting it from dad, i decided to modify it a little bit and got the second muffler removed from a local mechanic. result: a lot more noise but not too much increase in power as promised by him .Now, after almost a year after getting this done, the car has suddenly started acting up and decides to turn off without any clue. one minute its driving smoothly like the baby that she is and the next she stops and refuses to start. Both the times that this has happened, i took it to an authorised service centre and all the guy did was clean the spark plug and the fuel filter and then its back to normal. However, the diagnosis at the end of the service what he told me shocked me. he said that since the vehicle had crossed 100,000 kms it was time for an engine overhaul that would cost me 15k after which my problem would be solved.

now,for my queries...

1. Is the company mechanic fooling me with his technical jargon
2. could the lack of a second muffler be somehow causing the spark plugs to be getting too dirty too soon and what can i do in order to stop this
3. the authorised centre i am talking about is 'sagar automobiles' and generally i have found him to be too expensive as well.. could you please suggest me some good authorised service centres in Bangalore where i could get a second opinion.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
take a second opinion.Even i am having problem of blackened spark plugs.
Have chnaged them for now but i will be getting just the carb overhauled next time the plugs fail me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
Dear Gurus

After 3 months of browsing this site i have finally joined t-bhp and am glad to be in the company of some truly amazing people who share the passion for driving and cars that i do too.

I have a '92 maruti 800 std which is in excellent condition, partly cause dad drove it for 13 out of the 16 years that we have owned it. Well, i've been driving it for the last 8 years now and had an experience that has really surprised me. after getting it from dad, i decided to modify it a little bit and got the second muffler removed from a local mechanic. result: a lot more noise but not too much increase in power as promised by him .Now, after almost a year after getting this done, the car has suddenly started acting up and decides to turn off without any clue. one minute its driving smoothly like the baby that she is and the next she stops and refuses to start. Both the times that this has happened, i took it to an authorised service centre and all the guy did was clean the spark plug and the fuel filter and then its back to normal. However, the diagnosis at the end of the service what he told me shocked me. he said that since the vehicle had crossed 100,000 kms it was time for an engine overhaul that would cost me 15k after which my problem would be solved.

now,for my queries...

2. could the lack of a second muffler be somehow causing the spark plugs to be getting too dirty too soon and what can i do in order to stop this
3. the authorised centre i am talking about is 'sagar automobiles' and generally i have found him to be too expensive as well.. could you please suggest me some good authorised service centres in Bangalore where i could get a second opinion.
Old 10th September 2008, 22:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

When the car is running smoothly without problem, do you feel loss of power while overtaking, tackling a gradient etc.? Does your vehicle emit blue smoke and is the engine oil level falling? If yes, then these are the signs that engine needs some care like changing of rings or complete overhauling etc.

Get the compression of each individual cylinders checked. Removing the second muffler, shouldn't cause these problems. But however, you can check it out by re-installing the same..
Old 11th September 2008, 02:44   #4
BHPian

Bangalore people please help him out with a trusted and good MASS .
Old 11th September 2008, 09:26   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys,

GD1418, i am not facing any of these issues that you had mentioned. Guess i will get a second opinion on the problem.

Can anybody from Bangalore please suggest a good service station...i really dont mind spending cash as long as the service is reliable
Old 11th September 2008, 12:44   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you have gotten your oil changes on time, I don't see the need for an overhaul at 1.0 lakh. Get a compression test done to check the health of the engine.

Quote:
I can't understand why you got a muffler removed. Lesser restriction, sure but that's not the way to go. Get a properly designed free-flow exhaust.

Quote:
3. the authorised centre i am talking about is 'sagar automobiles' and generally i have found him to be too expensive as well..
15K is pretty reasonable for an overhaul. Rebuild at the authorised workshop if you intend to keep the car for a long time.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:29   #7
BHPian

Thanks GTO, could you please recommend someone from Bangalore who could help me with the FFE as well as the authorised service centre?
Old 11th September 2008, 15:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
Thanks GTO, could you please recommend someone from Bangalore who could help me with the FFE as well as the authorised service centre?
FFE : Look up our tuner directory. Authorised service center : Search within the forum for reviews.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks