Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 11:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

mm. i can suggest something on the oil line. oil is tapped from the pressure valve (i am not sure but this is a point external v1p3r/psycho knows better). taken to the top of the turbo oil line. return it from the bottom to the oil sump. tap the oil sump at the top most point available and just return. oil returns by gravity. so route the oil such that oil returns freely by gravity alone. there should not be any build up of the return oil.
fed by pressure.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:16   #32
BHPian

Thanks kutlee , pressure valve ? you mean the oil pressure sensor/switch thingie which makes the oil pressure light come on on the dash ?
Old 13th November 2008, 22:24   #33
BHPian

Could any of you guys who've done a turbo setup post maybe a pic or two of the oil feed and coolant feed lines that go to the turbo with maybe some points to note while doing this?
Old 14th November 2008, 09:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

technologist, get yourself Corky bell's book on turbocharging. While not even remotely technical, it will help you save a lot of money in the long run by knowing what to not do with a turbo setup, specially the plumbing.

You seem to know enough to build your own AFR meter. Why not get a megasquirt and save yourself several headaches resulting from the whole blowthrough/drawthrough deal? A carb setup with a distributor is probably losing you 25% of the driveability and power potential possible with ECU controlled fueling and ignition, at the exact same boost level, at perhaps a slightly increased cost.

Your main concern with a drawthrough setup should be the dynamic seal on most modern turbochargers. This will not seal under a vacuum, which you will be subjecting it to due to the throttle plate being upstream of the compressor. The result is, oil is sucked in through the center section, followed by heavy oil consumption, and possibly, detonation.

The blowthrough is definitely feasible but its still a pain. My suggestion, use a megasquirt and find all the other components like sensors, fuel pump etc. from a junkyard.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:15   #35
BHPian

Thanks Anant, shall get my hands on the book. I have a couple of megasquirts with me already one assembled and another just sitting around - bought them a year or so ago, my problem with EFI was that I couldn't get my hands on a decent 16v head as yet for a price that I can afford , a new one from Maruti costs around 30k or so (which is approx my budget for the whole turbo setup - i believe lot of tbhpians may snigger when they hear the 30k budget - but i know it can be done - its just the cost of components for me, i don't have to pay myself for the labour )

I guess I shall try and search for the fuel pump and sensors and head from the junkyard and see if I can get something at a price i can afford. Shall keep you guys posted with the progress. Currently I am hunting around to find the best deals on turbochargers , BOV, gauges and other components. As for the pipes and hoses , I'm not sure - hope to source those locally.

Guys please do give tips if on where I could source decent quality turbochargers, BOVs, silicon hoses, gauges for a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone,

Amit

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 14th November 2008 at 12:17.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
my problem with EFI was that I couldn't get my hands on a decent 16v head as yet for a price that I can afford , a new one from Maruti costs around 30k or so (which is approx my budget for the whole turbo setup - i believe lot of tbhpians may snigger when they hear the 30k budget - but i know it can be done - its just the cost of components for me, i don't have to pay myself for the labour )
I like your spirit, and I am all for the idea of going fast for cheap. But you need to get more creative.

There is no need for a 16v head to have MPFI. All you have to do is get an intake manifold made, that has the requisite bosses for mounting the injectors at the right angle. You might lose a bit due to the 8 valve head but that's what boost is for, is it not ?

Look at this page for ideas: Tech Page

As for the ignition part, retain the distributor but don't run anything off of it. Use a 4-1 wheel mounted directly to the harmonic damper on the front of the crankshaft and a VR sensor to get the requisite trigger for the megasquirt.

I would love to see a DIY megasquirt in action back in India. Its the best thing to happen to the DIY car community after ebay.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I can't seem to edit my post. I might have a set of injectors, fuel rail and an inline high-pressure fuel pump lying around somewhere. Bought it for peanuts back when I was experimenting. I can pass them on to you for free when I come back to India, with the only obligation that you would have to get the megasquirt working
Old 15th November 2008, 00:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
I like your spirit, and I am all for the idea of going fast for cheap. But you need to get more creative.

Look at this page for ideas: Tech Page
Thanks Ananth - was initially thinking of TBI but stopped thinking in that direction because I couldn't think of how to do TBI myself ! Thanks for the linky - got me thinking all over again and fresh!

Quote:
I would love to see a DIY megasquirt in action back in India. Its the best thing to happen to the DIY car community after ebay.
Hmm... don't people run megasquirt around in India ? I thought people would be already using it as it's the cheapest aftermarket ECU one can get !

Quote:
For some reason I can't seem to edit my post. I might have a set of injectors, fuel rail and an inline high-pressure fuel pump lying around somewhere. Bought it for peanuts back when I was experimenting. I can pass them on to you for free when I come back to India, with the only obligation that you would have to get the megasquirt working
Done, thanks mate !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 15th November 2008 at 00:24.
Old 15th November 2008, 01:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ananth - was initially thinking of TBI but stopped thinking in that direction because I couldn't think of how to do TBI myself ! Thanks for the linky - got me thinking all over again and fresh!
MPFI is easy due to availability of the parts. Just retain the carb to function as a throttle body, remove the choke and the venturi sleeves, seal off all unnecessary ports specially on a turbo engine. And then, drill the manifold for injector bosses near the head. Assuming there is packaging space for it, you could mount the fuel rail inboard of the manifold . Send me a PM and I can give you more ideas if you're serious about this.

Quote:
Hmm... don't people run megasquirt around in India ? I thought people would be already using it as it's the cheapest aftermarket ECU one can get !

To my knowledge, no one has successfully run a car with a homebuilt ECU other than with commercial intent to market the product.
Old 15th November 2008, 02:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
MPFI is easy due to availability of the parts. Just retain the carb to function as a throttle body, remove the choke and the venturi sleeves, seal off all unnecessary ports specially on a turbo engine. And then, drill the manifold for injector bosses near the head. Assuming there is packaging space for it, you could mount the fuel rail inboard of the manifold . Send me a PM and I can give you more ideas if you're serious about this.
You've really got me thinking Ananth, i guess I can do that will measure tomorrow and see how much space is there. I'll also pay a visit to the scrapyards/used parts guys around tomorrow and check what I can find

Quote:
To my knowledge, no one has successfully run a car with a homebuilt ECU other than with commercial intent to market the product.
commercially marketing megasquirt in india ? We got out kits ordered online from the US long time ago, didn't know they were sold in India too.
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:56   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have managed to find a source from where I can get some parts off totalled/crashed cars for a little over petty change !

I've decided to go the Fuel injection route for the carb esteem too ! Does anybody on the forum know if the intake manifold from the mpfi 16v esteem fit the carb esteem ?

I know i have both the cars to play with - but its too much work to remove the manifold from the mpfi esteem and try it on the carb one!

the plan for the carb esteem is to convert it to mpfi before the turbo is installed. In case the mpfi intake manifold with injectors fits on the carb esteems head - then it would be a relatively easier job to do the FI conversion.

P.S: another update - just got myself a MPFI esteem service manual expected it to be more detailed - the instrument cluster removal instructions are pretty stupid - they just mention "put your hand under the cluster and remove speedometer cable and couplers" - doesnt mention how you remove them - i.e. whats the locking mechanism for the couplers or the speedometer cable - also some of the diagrams are for LHD vehicles!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 22nd November 2008 at 22:04.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:16   #42
BHPian

[quote=techn0l0gist;1063734
I've decided to go the Fuel injection route for the carb esteem too ! Does anybody on the forum know if the intake manifold from the mpfi 16v esteem fit the carb esteem ?

I know i have both the cars to play with - but its too much work to remove the manifold from the mpfi esteem and try it on the carb one!
[/quote]

the 16v head bolt pattern is different form the 8v the intake manifold and exhaust manifold wont bolt on.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Was browsing the net for turbo builds for G13BB engines and found that IHI VF38 turbos are used on these engines ,there were couple of manifolds and turbo setup built for India by a Canadian company. The tubro spools up at around 1800 rpm-2200rpm it seams depending on the tuning and cam. Quit big turbo this one but spool at 1800rpm? Also wanted to know if a GT28BB can be used on the esteem? what will be the spool rpm.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:48   #44

The build is done. 8 psi before the TB, stock internals, stock clutch, ioc premium.
Will post a detailed report in a separate thread.
Old 21st October 2009, 19:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post
The build is done. 8 psi before the TB, stock internals, stock clutch, ioc premium.
Will post a detailed report in a separate thread.
Hey congrast buddy, so what is the final configuration. Turbo, intercooler, injectors,fuel pressure regulator,etc. Please put up the list and other details.

Last edited by dinar : 21st October 2009 at 19:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks