Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 13:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

I do it always .... exhaust note is soo good after 3k rpm can't resist

usually i shift at 4-4.5k rpm and sometimes in empty roads take her to 7k
Old 13th September 2008, 14:36   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Who cares whether it is required or not, high-revving is just so much fun!! I redline the Vtec nearly each time that I take her out. However, unless it is a very spirited drive, the engine will stay @ high-rpms for barely 10 - 20% of the total distance covered. With the diesels, I redline the C220 mostly on the highway or on late nights. I don't drive her too much within the city anyways, it's with the driver who doesn't go over 2,000 rpms.

I have observed that an engine that has had it's legs stretched once in a while feels distinctly revv-happier than one that's never seen the brighter side of 3,000 rpms. Modern engines have a really long life, even if high-revving does result in a lower engine life (which it will), I am still looking at 1.8 lakh fun kms. Stick to the maintenance schedules, use synthetic lubes and you should be all set. With some diesel engines (e.g. the 2.5 IDI in my Jeep), there is no point in going to the higher revvs...it is beyond peak power and you are actually wasting time up there. So I shift up early. I have also witnessed that high-revving diesels lowers their engine life substantially more than in a petrol. Thus, I do take it easy with the Jeep and the Indigo.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2008, 15:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I have a similar problem.

My CRV 2.0 has done just 2200 kms, and in its usual run in Kolkata, never gets to cross 3-3.5 k revs..

The oil change was due last week (6 month service) and a day before that, I decided to take it out for a quick high revving spin. Unfortunately, lack of roads and practice didnt let me cross 4.5 k revs...

I am just waiting for my next highway trip so I can become friends with that engine
Old 13th September 2008, 19:59   #19
BHPian

The sound is addictive. I love my carb esteem for that, it never cuts off and it growls. However other cars I drive they cut of, and the fun ends for me.

And GTO I agree with the thing that the engine that gets revved up once in a while seems to be better that 'decently' handled ones. After I take any car for a long drive, the actual owner starts to feel good about his engine

Last edited by Shashank.A : 13th September 2008 at 20:02.
Old 13th September 2008, 20:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

I revv it quite often
If i drive on open roads almost 80 % of the time , i am on high revs. Both in my vRs and my city.
Old 13th September 2008, 20:47   #21
BHPian

I never do that with my cars since I call myself an eco-driver. But I try it out while test drives or while driving other's cars.
Old 13th September 2008, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

With a laggy turbodiesel, you have to spank the accelerator and rev the motor like silly to make the turbo spool up. Not that the revs I'm talking about are anything stellar by petrol standards. Heaven begins at 2k rpm, and by 4k, its all over and the engine is howling in pain. But yes, whatever revs we have, we make total use of
Old 13th September 2008, 21:45   #23
BHPian

It should be mandatory to sweep the tacho to the limiter once a day minimum so that the dust doesnt collect on the rpm dial.,

Secondly why waste revv's they are so delicious.
noidaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2008, 23:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awww man, i redline my car every gear everytime i drive.. and even if im stuck in traffic there are enough people around me to coax me into letting out a little roar from the exhast.
Old 13th September 2008, 23:42   #25
BHPian

what bout a new car?

hi all,

i have a swift. its very new. its an LXI so has no tacho.
what kinda engine speeds should i keep controlled to?

i wanted to clear another thing. why do people say that you cant rev the car preperly for the first 1000 kms? whts the point? they dont change the engine oil during the first servicing, but the second one at 5000 kms. so why wait till 1000 kms.

as far as i know.... running in means driving slow till the oil is changed for the first time. and after that you can start.

techys please advice.

and another thing. wil i lose my warranty if i get an aftermarket tacho in?
Old 13th September 2008, 23:47   #26
BHPian

Almost every time I'm in the front row and the lights turn green (unfortunately I'm talking about the Western Express Highway and not Monza).

Also, every once in a while when I'm in economode (doing 70km/h in 5th) I'll downshift to 2nd (fun!!!) and take it to the redline! Of course I'm not very good at matching the revs, so I imagine my clutch takes a beating. Doesn't matter too much though... Clutches are relatively cheap to replace.
Old 14th September 2008, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Iknow its fun to rev your engines, but do keep in mind that 80 percent of the wear and tear in the engine takes place at the top 20 percent of the performance envelop of any engine.
Old 14th September 2008, 00:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Iknow its fun to rev your engines, but do keep in mind that 80 percent of the wear and tear in the engine takes place at the top 20 percent of the performance envelop of any engine.
I do rev my petra hard in 1st and 2nd as long as there are irritant drivers, need to stay ahead and away from them. I do not even watch how far the needle goes, probably 5 to 6K. I generally see it on its way back around 4.5 K. Don't know about dust in tacho, but it seems to clear doubts on performance of 1.6L
Old 14th September 2008, 00:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I redline the car once a while. Then I realize its in neutral and I'm stuck in a traffic jam.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2008, 00:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Awww man, i redline my car every gear everytime i drive.. and even if im stuck in traffic there are enough people around me to coax me into letting out a little roar from the exhast.
I am a first hand witness to it.

And once that beast is on road, once actually looks for it from 1 km ahead itself, as the music can be heard from a long distance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks