Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:12   #61
CJP
BHPian

Hyundai Accent CRDi - 97k kms

Just read this entire thread. As a previous owner of an Accent CRDi, that had done 97,000, kms in 4 years. The following are my observations:-

1. Great fuel economy, I got consistently good mileage, in Bangalore traffic. 14km (worst case) to 17km (best case). The car would give between 20 kmpl to 22 kmpl on the highway. Fully loaded - 2 adults + 2 kids + luggage. I am a sane driver and would not venture above 100 kmph on the highway.

2. In the entire 4 years that I owned the car, it did not, even once make unusual noises or have any breakdown.

3. I changed my timing belt and bearings at 80k kms as a precautionary measure.

4. I changed the right side front drive shaft at about 85k kms. due to normal wear.

These are the only mechanical work that I needed on the car. After crossing 95k kms, the Hyundai service center (Trident) recommended that I change the piston rings.

My OE tyres lasted 80k kms (Bridgestone) and I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanzas. The OE battery was replaced at 70k kms.

The car is still in very nice condition, the body panels don't rattle, the aircon works as powerfully as when I first got her. And overall the car is confidence inspiring and my family has never had any chance to complain.

Maybe I am one of the lucky few, but consistent maintenance, using good quality lubricants, services done at Hyundai, and gentle handling - I think ensures that your car lasts long and behaves well. Not that I am implying that any of the folks posting on this thread are abusing their cars. But, my experience has been pleasant overall.

P.S. I must add that I recently sold the car to a fellow TBHPian and bought an Innova, primarily to accommodate my growing kids.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@ jacs: I believe you've been duped by your service centre about the engine overhaul.

@ Mpower: I never needed an engine overhaul - just a rocker and camshaft change. Unless the head, valves, pistons, rings and crankshaft are touched, that's no engine overhaul.
I am afraid I have to agree with SS.
I think it was identical issue based on symptoms. THey changed the rocker and charged him 50K.

I always ask for the old parts as a rule but you know even that they can cheat you if they have other parts laying around.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:08   #63

To sell or not to sell, that is the question.

My 2003 accent crdi has done 92000 kms with nothing more major than timing belt change, air con. and axle work, etc. Still runs great.

Problem is now I'm thoroughly confused about whether to keep it since it's running great or sell it before it goes kaput. Really it's like a gamble... wish I could make up my mind and know that I made the right choice.

Any accent crdi here that has done upwards of 150000 kms? I'm looking for a straw of hope
Old 12th November 2009, 23:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Please do not blame the whole group of Hyundai diesel engines. i own 2006 Elantra which has completed 1,25,000kms and still running like a new car. Ive done all oil changes at 10k kms as recommended by Hyundai. I plan to retain the car for atleast another 50k kms.

My friend owns a 2004 Elantra which has done more 200k without any trouble.
Old 19th November 2009, 22:15   #65

May be I could push my accent crdi about 20,000 kms more before I sell it off.
It's really such a wonderful car, and I enjoy the spirited drive it offers even now being past 90K on the odo, but now seeing some accents giving up their ghosts before a 'ripe old age' has made me kind of paranoid with the thought that the ruddy car is going to die on me

Still, thanks for the embers of hope as gotten from news of other diesels / elantras doing their duty of continuing to live.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:08   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

@c-zar: I had an Accent Viva CRDi which I sold last month after 106,000 km. No engine issues there, I just wanted to upgrade. Read about it here. There are other members here who have done over 100,000 km without any issues (the most I remember reading is about 145,000 km). People have been duped, on the other hand, by unscrupulous Hyundai dealers, and advised engine overhaul, or even simple injector changes at prohibitive prices (20-30k per injector), and I've personally heard such stories from owners off this forum too. But I have come across very few owners whose engines have totally failed (read: absolutely requiring removal of cylinder head), needing a rebuild.

Two issues that I believe the CRDi engine is very sensitive to, are (A) fuel quality; and (B) interval of lube oil changes. At the first sign of bad diesel the engine starts smoking and performance drops, and I've always changed my engine oil earlier than the recommended interval of 10,000 km (usually betwen 7500 - 8000 km). Somehow I belong to the old school of thought, and in spite of manufacturer recommendations, I rather like clean oil to flow around the metal inside.

As to your car doing 92,000 km, that was about the odo reading I had when I took off from Delhi to Pune in it in June this year. The car wa absolutely reliable to run, and like you, I've thoroughly enjoyed driving it. My opinion would be for you to locate a good independent garage to get your servicing done, and a source for spares outside of the Hyundai dealerships - genuine spares are available outside, and at less than half the rates that the service centres charge.

Good luck, and wishing you many more thousands of km of happy driving with your CRDi.
Old 20th November 2009, 03:39   #67

Feeling good about the accent

@SS-Traveller: I feel good after you shared about your car. I feel somewhat confident that my car is not out of juice just as yet.

I read your viva report. Very interesting. I totally understand your attachment to your car when the time came to actually part from it. That must have been the time when you realize that the car has been more than a non-living machine, and almost like a companion to you.

Did some thinking about my car now. I've even driven my car several times fully loaded over rocky surfaces and farming fields (that is why the axle work became necessary), but never once failed me. I realize that I need to cherish it while it's there, and not allow anticipated troubles choke my present joy.

Thanks so much for giving the much needed boost. I really appreciate you making the effort to encourage me and others who may be in a similar stage with their crdi's. I'm going to shed the negativity, and enjoy the car without any ghosts of fear. And about the future, well, que sera sera
Old 20th November 2009, 16:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

We have 2004 CDRi which has done 98k & still going strong. This was maintained with regular service & change in tires & timing belts according to A.S.S.

I' use to listen a noise recently from the eng bay when started. All the shocks & mounts were also checked & replaced. But still the were are able to feel the shudder when we start the eng.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I' use to listen a noise recently from the eng bay when started. All the shocks & mounts were also checked & replaced. But still the were are able to feel the shudder when we start the eng.
Since you've checked and changed the shocks and mounts, please take a careful look at the sump guard. I have had my fair share of worries with funny noises emanating from that sheet of metal, just because the idiots at the service centre can't fix it back properly every time.
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

jacs sorry to say this but I think you have been duped. If your car was behaving normally except for the abnormal sound, ie accelerating normally, giving the same FE as before, climb ghats as usual, then i don't this there was ever a problem with the engine. As SS traveller mentioned here, some part might have conked off, hardly anything remotely linked to an engine overhaul. Even I have heard, off this forum, in Kerala, that Accent CRDI's are staring at an engine overhaul anywhere after 60k. After seeing your thread, don't know if the problem if the problem was with the car or the dealer(s).
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:01   #71
BHPian

guys, if the ascent crdi is facing such issues, then in the future could the verna, i20, getz crdi's could also face the same ?

Last edited by vdiatech : 23rd November 2009 at 19:11.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
guys, if the ascent crdi is facing such issues, then in the future could the verna, i20, getz crdi's could also face the same ?
The Accent / Viva CRDis were three cylinder Detroit Diesel developed ones and are no longer in production / use.

The other vehicles you mentioned are using 4 cylinder Hyundai developed engines.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Just to update you all that the car is doing great after the overhaul, covered 10K KMs after overhaul. Even the Goa trip was fine, check out my post in TBHP travelogues.

I still believe its all a drama by the dealer, cant accept the overhaul job but its just a regular thing with Hyundai A.S.S in Kerala. Almost everyone I met in Kerala with Accent CRDis had a similiar story to tell, very few were lucky.

Car valuation is pretty bad now with used car brokers offering 2.5L max, somehow M&M offered 3.25L in exchange with Xylo. I am paranoid in taking a decision, willing to keep it for another 3 years if it will run comfortably another 30K without trouble considering the amount we spent and the depreciation of a new car.

Last edited by jacs : 25th November 2009 at 10:07.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:39   #74
BHPian

Accent CRDI - 121600 kms

Hi guys,
I own a Accent CRDI 2004 October model whihc has ran 121600kms and its running strong. Serviced completely in HSS every 5k kms. Now i replace with oil filter,air filter and fuel filter replacement for every 5k kms to keep the Engine safe.

The only major expense being timing belt change.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Update & a new query

Guys,

Here I have good news and bad news.

Good news is that the car is still doing well, now around 85K Kms on odo. We changed the belts during the last service from Hyundai A.S.S and no other maintenence done yet apart from regular service.

Bad news is I had a scary experience last Sunday while driving near Forum, Koramangala. I was driving around 40-50Kmph from Adugodi towards Madiwala. The signal ahead turned red and vehicles stopped slowly. Since I was and keeping a safe distance and moreover the road was free from heavy traffic being Sunday, I applied brakes casually without any stress. But to my scare, the front right wheel locked and the car skidded atleast a 50 feet to stop. Luckily nothing fatal happened.

I'm not able to figure out whether its an issue with brakes or tyres. My observations below makes me feel its the tyres who is the culprit, please help with your suggestions as well.

1) Wheel alignment was perfect, no side pulls were there. Skid was around 50 feets in straight line.

2) I havent hit hard on brakes but I think I released the brakes only at stop.

3) Somehow I was not happy with the tyres (Appollo Amazer). Its very noicy since install and had one or two instances were the car smoked in hill climbs due to the lack of grip . Now to add to the worse, front tyres are 30-40% more worn out compared to the rear ones (understand the heavy engine).

Last edited by jacs : 10th May 2010 at 14:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks