Team-BHP - Suspecting Engine Overhaul of Accent CRDi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Suspecting Engine Overhaul of Accent CRDi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/45789-suspecting-engine-overhaul-accent-crdi.html)

Guyz,

It seems like the worse had happened to our Accent CRDi. Its 2004 end model and has run just 60K, but developed a minor sound from the engine since past 1K. The car was regularly serviced with MGF-Hyundai who sold the car to us. From the initial inspection, MGF mechanics suspects a Minor engine overhaul is required and would cost 50K approx (Can be confirmed only after opening).

We are in real dilema as the car was expected to run atleast 150K without major trouble. As per MGF, one in 100 cars can approach engine work in early 70Ks and we fall in the unfortunate list. However I decided to take a second opinion from another authorized workshop in Kochi.

When I have examined the car, there is no temperature abnormalities or performance dip. Oil level is also not dropping. The only issue seen is the new noise of the engine. My uncles UNO D covered 300K without any major trouble and I cannopt accept CRDi engine(which boasted so much of advantages and long life) requires a premature overhaul.

Please pour your experience if any, I wish noone should have it:Frustrati

Search the forum. There are plenty of reports about Accent CRDIs being overhauled at 60 - 70 K Km.

My condolences!!!

Hi Jacs,

I think a second opinion is in order. If the mechanic hasn't explained the exact cause of that sound, how can he make a blanket statement pointing toward an overhaul? Especially when you find the performance to be the same. Take it to another expert shop and have them run her through some checks. If you have maintained it as per the manufacturers schedule, I don't see why you require an overhaul. Have heard of the common-rails with damaged fuel pumps @ 70K, but not too many engines of the same vintage requiring an overhaul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 977572)
MGF mechanics suspects a Minor engine overhaul is required and would cost 50K approx (Can be confirmed only after opening).

In other words, they are clueless about the noise and hope that overhaul will take care of it.

I dont understand whats with these Hyundai dealers always scaring the CRDI accent customers with weird statements. They always charge a bomb and they never disclose what exactly is the inherit problem with the engine that it really needs a shot at 60-80k kms. While a few say it can last over 1L happily. Does this mean, the others are ignorant of the problems, or there is some real vodoo with a chosen few engines.
This is either due to some bad components used in the engine(mostly heard of this in the pre 2005 models) or an engine design issue or a trick pulled by dealers to make some quick money.
After investing 50k and more on a small check-up, the actual parts replaced will be hardly anything. Piston, liners, etc will all remain the same. The customer is charged a bomb and hardly anything is actually done.
This has to be taken up to a consumer court and Hyundai should be made to answer to the actual problem. They cant promise reliabilty and then make customers land up like this.

Joel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 978553)
In other words, they are clueless about the noise and hope that overhaul will take care of it.

Precisely!

If you do the 50k "overhaul", all the cash saved in fuel will be spent on the so called "rebuild".
I suggest you check cylinder compression level in all cylinders to confirm engine condition.

As a owner of a 59000 km Accent CRDi ... I am watching this thread very closely...

You can perhaps do a prelim check and follow the process listed below.
Start the engine and allow the engine to warm up..preferably run it a small round to get it to temperature. If you have another CRDI car as a standard try to get it and do the same procedure simultaneously.
Place the screwdriver- the driving end on all important rotating parts like water pump..fuel pump..vacuum pump..alternator...OHC end bearings..ect to listen for peripheral noise.I am suggesting this since you said there is nothing wrong with the engine.If you can listen to any abnormalities in the noise from any of these parts you have what you are looking for. But is I have come across such cases in the past and the overhaul at such low milages is not very uncommon for this engine.
Worst case you will have the crankshaft bearings replaced and a set of rings and valve grinding done and will cost you under 20k.In case there has been any serious damage in the liners or piston you will already habe back compression and will show up as smoke in the valve door on a hot engine.
check for these indications and return.

Sorry i forgot to mention that you have to keep you have to keep your ear on the handle end of the screw driver to listen to any abnormal noises.This works like a stethoscope of a doctor

I ditto all that. A few of my friends who own (ed) Accent Crdi had their engine overhauls done between 80-85K. On the contrary my '98 TCIC Safari has done 70K and still going strong.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 977595)
Search the forum. There are plenty of reports about Accent CRDIs being overhauled at 60 - 70 K Km.

My condolences!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 978553)

Strange noises usually mean
1. Belt issues
2. Bearing issues
Check AC idler bearing, Alternator nearing, AC compressor bearing, Timing belt pulley bearing etc., etc., first.
Do you see any blue smoke?

Thanks everyone for the warm response.

Tomorrow we are taking the car to another hyundai service in Kochi. Since I am here in Bangalore, instructed the driver(he is also en experienced guy) to enquire in detail what is the issue and the remedy proposed. Lets see whether the solution from both dealers match :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Have heard of the common-rails with damaged fuel pumps @ 70K

That's quite common around here, with the service guys usually blaming premium diesel for it.

A second opinion is always good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs
Tomorrow we are taking the car to another hyundai service in Kochi.

Popular Hyundai?

Jacs, have you noticed any significant drop in F.E. lately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 977572)
...and has run just 60K, but developed a minor sound from the engine since past 1K.
When I have examined the car, there is no temperature abnormalities or performance dip. Oil level is also not dropping. The only issue seen is the new noise of the engine.

Jacs, aren't you jumping the gun a wee bit here?
Just because of a MINOR new sound from the engine, please do not presume that a so-called minor overhaul of the engine is required as suggested by the asses.
Do seek more opinions as to the source of that minor sound.
If nothing seems to materialize, try to get used to it and live with it. TILL the time you have more serious pointers to something being amiss with the engine!