Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 20:00   #1
BHPian

Should I flush the radiator ?

My fiat adventure has clocked 12500 kms. Recently while regular servicing the technician put to my notice that the radiator coolant has lost its properties( he gave a demo showing that it is like water now). I bought the car almost 2 years ago, since then i havent changed coolant. The guy told to flush the radiator before filling new coolant . He was warning that without flushing the new coolant will be futile.

Is there any need to flush before filling coolant ?

Last edited by swathyd : 16th September 2008 at 20:05.
Old 16th September 2008, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Flushing will remove any of the old slush and clean up the radiator. I would say it is a good thing to do!

Go for it.
Old 16th September 2008, 20:44   #3

Do flush

Yes definitely it will help in increasing cooling efficiency of engine. What ever salt or oxide is there in the cooling cavity and radiator tubes will get removed. Also the lives of rubber components like hoses, parts of thermostat valve will increase. But do follow the manufacturer's spec in the coolant to water mixture. Best will be to use distilled water with coolant.
Old 16th September 2008, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android View Post
Yes definitely it will help in increasing cooling efficiency of engine. What ever salt or oxide is there in the cooling cavity and radiator tubes will get removed. Also the lives of rubber components like hoses, parts of thermostat valve will increase. But do follow the manufacturer's spec in the coolant to water mixture. Best will be to use distilled water with coolant.
Yup! What this guy said. Two years is too long. This needs to be done at least once a year. Twice a year would be better. It is corrosion in the radiator that you are fighting primarily. Corrosion is more time dependent than Kilometer (distance) dependent. That you drive few miles does not enter into it. And, yeah, you have to flush out the old bad stuff before putting in the new good stuff. That is standard and correct.

The reason for using dystilled water is that it has low or no mineral content. Mineral content causes corrosion.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Which brand is the best ? How much and what quantity ? Also how to use ?
Old 17th September 2008, 12:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Swathy,

As a thumb rule, replace coolant at every fourth service if you service the vehicle at every 5K Kms.

Chevron radiator flush is the best if availalble
Old 17th September 2008, 13:18   #7
BHPian

Hi
Even OWS Flush Radiator is good, I have been using it & it works pretty well.

Rgds
Old 16th August 2013, 11:25   #8
BHPian

My Vista needs a coolant change and the SA advices me to flush it before going for the new coolant. The car has run 25000kms and is 2.5yrs old. This is the first time am going in for a coolant change. Pls advice whether flushing is a must?
Old 16th August 2013, 15:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

re: Should I flush the radiator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
My Vista needs a coolant change and the SA advices me to flush it before going for the new coolant. The car has run 25000kms and is 2.5yrs old. This is the first time am going in for a coolant change. Pls advice whether flushing is a must?
I have done 1.1L kms and have not done flushing yet. Not sure why is the SA suggesting flushing. First ask him to give this in writing and see how he backtracks. In my opinion just change of coolant is sufficient.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 22:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
See the service manual.

Do you see sludge etc in your radiator cap? If no, then refuse flush.
carbookie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 00:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Should I flush the radiator ?

I've a 9 years old Maruti WagonR, till date we only have flushed our toilet, not the engine not the radiator hehe
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks