Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 12:42   #1
BANNED

Are you having Repairophobia ?

Quote:
If you believe all the garbage that is passed off as investigative reporting on television and in newspapers and consumer magazines these days, you would think the average motorist is being robbed at gun point every time they bring their vehicle in for maintenance or repairs. The media's obvious bias and obsession with negative reporting has painted us as a bunch of thieves and con artists who dupe unsuspecting customers into buying parts and services they do not really need.
More : Repairophobia: Fear Of Auto Repair

So are you having Repairophobia ?

Last edited by mithun : 18th September 2008 at 12:44.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you don't suffer then this poem will make sense

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite the opposite. I seem to have a case of RepairOMania - every one of my vehicles is in garage for one thing or the other at this point of time.

I cant seem to stand any little issue, must build my tolerance levels.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I do not have repairophobia. But cannot tolerate anything wrong on my car. Will get it rectified asap. Except for dents caused during accidents. For this, I will take this once in a year/2 years...
Old 18th September 2008, 15:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I used to take my car to the garage for every small thing; inevitably I spent a lot of my younger days in the company of mechanics & service advisors. As cars got more reliable, work pressure built up and the size of my garage expanded, it slowly became impossible to rectify minor issues immediately. As of today, my cars visit the workshop only once a year and get the accumulated list of repairs / changes sorted out. For instance, my Vtec visits Linkway only once a year (in January). Running is down to 7,500 kms a year so it doesn't need more frequented maintenance. I maintain a word document which is updated whenever an issue crops up. The Benz, too, gets it scheduled services once every 9 - 12 months (@ 10,000 kms mark). On the other hand, the Indigo & the Jeep visit the shop an average of 2 - 3 times a year. Tata recommends a checkup every 5,000 - 7,500 kms while I intend Mahindra to give the Jeep a once-over at the 5,000 kms mark.

Quote:
The media's obvious bias and obsession with negative reporting has painted us as a bunch of thieves and con artists who dupe unsuspecting customers into buying parts and services they do not really need.
Argument is not so valid in India. It does take a good amount of research and trial / error before you end up with the perfect workshop. But its really no big deal for a Team-BHPian.
Old 18th September 2008, 21:48   #6
BHPian

I was just telling someone how according to Suhrit Hyundai, a certain problem required replacement of brake discs etc. amounting to Rs. 10k. The problem was later satisfactorily resolved by replacing the local brake pads with authentic hyundai brake pads for about 1.8k. So repairophobia isn't entirely without basis.

Most Viewed