Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 15:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Which is good, you can meet tanveer in NOIDA and he can demonstrate you this in his ....safaaa...eer...indica
Sure come to sec 16 tomorrow.
Major belt change work happening on the car.
The power steering oil is leaking(500ml/2 weeks) so I keep filling her up, and she keeps marking her territory.
I am getting
1. Bearings changed : Timing belt roller bearing, Idler bearing, Power steering bearing are the suspects, lets see which one of them is singing
2. Power steering/alternator belt is slipping and always screams in the morning. Its fully tight, this means belt has slack now. Has to be changed

So come to sector 16.

But rest assured, mechanical jobs on indica are a pain due to placement of the belts etc.,

Once the alternator bearing stalled, cracked the belt and jammed the engine.
I had to get down, and hack the belt off the, and then drove to service center next day. That was my last visit to TASC due to the shoddy job they did with alternator bearing and the overcharging on labor
Old 18th September 2008, 19:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing careful about it. If the PS pump runs dry and it would from the moment the car is started, it packs up; seizes, to be precise.

I suffered this with my Safari and had to drive 40 kms without PS to the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
In a worse case scenario, I don't see any damage if you drive it carefully to the service center - just don't take any sharp or sudden turns, avoid potholes & you'll be OK. Its only 14 kms.
Old 18th September 2008, 19:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Whether it can be done in an Indica is a secondary point. Primarily, is it a DIY job? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I don't know if it will work in your case or not.

But In esteem power steering can be disabled by removing a belt. Its connected to the Compressor bearing of the car, so if you remove the belt the power steering and air conditioning would stop working in the car, and the car would like driving the normal steering. So I guess in that case no damage would be done.

But again you must check it is possible to do in Indica.
Old 18th September 2008, 19:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

In indica also you can remove the belt and power steering will be disabled. Its not really very difficult, and one spanner is enough, though its not a very simple job!
Old 19th September 2008, 10:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sure come to sec 16 tomorrow.
Not sure if I can get off work Tanveer. But do PM your cell number and the time frame you are likely to be doing this activity, I'll try and make it. I'm put up at sector 17 and place of work is in sector 10.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:50   #21
BANNED

my 99' model lancer had this problem, and i tried local oil seal kit.....but it didnt last even for an hour....then i tried twice ...same result...

cost was 350 for kit, and labour + mental agony for a week

then i gone to HM ***, they quoted Rs.8000/- and after that it was fine, kit itself costed about Rs.3500 + machining labour+ fitting ..

Now Peace of mind.
Old 27th September 2008, 01:15   #22
BHPian

Update:
I called up Manipal motors helpline and they came with a litre of oil and some new parts which are the usual suspects in such cases. After an inspection, the mechanic said that it's not something he can solve on the spot and that the vehicle be driven to the workshop after topping up the oil.

Tanveer: He did not recommend removing the alternator belt as it also develops the vacuum for brake assist.

To continue, we managed to reach the workshop with minimal oil loss. The service advisor gave a cursory glance and promptly informed me that they suspect rack damage and a new one will cost 19K. I promptly threw back extended warranty and he wanted to check service record to see if it was valid. After all this interaction, I told him why dont put the car up and inspect the cause and damage. After doing this it was discovered that 2 washers which are at the junction of the oil pipe and the pump were damaged/misaligned for some reason. The cleaning, removal and refixing took about one hour. They charged me 600/- for helpline charges and 150/- + ST as labour. An exterior wash was thrown in as a freebie.
Its been 4 days and there have been no further leaks.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions and guidance. It's instances such as these, when we value the forum and its contribution to our happy motoring.
Old 27th September 2008, 05:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

as long as the PS fluid is within acceptable levels, (you can check the container in the hood if the levels are upto the mark), i dont think there will be an issue. I had a slight leak and was driving without knowing it all along. As long as it is not a major leak which has totally emptied your PS , shouldnt be an issue
Old 27th September 2008, 06:40   #24
BHPian

Check the pipe pumping steering oil, if it is leaking replace with new one.
If you run without oil it may damage pump, motor. I don't know about Indica car, but once I face problem with my Chevrolet Caprice car, I replace the pipe from steering oil can to the pump motor, which was
leaking. If you run without dry without steering oil, steering will be hard
and will damage afterwards.

Check it.
Old 28th September 2008, 21:59   #25
BHPian

Mods, the problem is solved as described in post #22 - Can you please update the title suitably?
Old 30th September 2008, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
There is nothing careful about it. If the PS pump runs dry and it would from the moment the car is started, it packs up; seizes, to be precise.

I suffered this with my Safari and had to drive 40 kms without PS to the garage.

If you refill the PS oil container, will it take some time for it to get into circulation? Or can you start driving straightaway, assuming oil leaks out (from wherever) slowly enough for you to reach the workshop?
Old 30th September 2008, 21:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

If the PS oil container has gone empty, for whatever reason, and you refill it, it won't circulate as an air-lock happens. You have to bleed the system first to remove any air in the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you refill the PS oil container, will it take some time for it to get into circulation? Or can you start driving straightaway, assuming oil leaks out (from wherever) slowly enough for you to reach the workshop?

Most Viewed