Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 14:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't know the car, but below 1000rpm is barely idling. I would not expect my Swift to pull away smoothly at 1,000, and low-rev pulling is the speciality of diesel.

Don't worry about the rev counter, drive by feel, and give the car some more revs; it really sounds that that is what it is asking for. Not doing so will stress your engine and clutch.
you should try driving palio 1.6, pulls even from 1000RPM in 4th gear

in first gear it can go as low as 500-600rpm before knocking .....

if torque is too low and you feel difficulty in driving in slow moving traffic, you have to engage and disengage the clutch often. there is no solution for this.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Would like to concur with what Ford Rocam said re: the driving school habit.

When I TDed the Civic, I tried to move the vehicle from idle by clutch modulation without any accelerator input. The car stalled many times before I adjusted. You need to give some accelerator input if you want to move the car from standstill. Part of this is because of the Civic's lack of low end torque. But it is not entirely the car's fault.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio sounds good, Rahulkool.
Old 27th September 2008, 18:06   #34
BANNED

Civic is really not drivable in city traffic conditions. This is what I realized while I drove back my civic from dealer.

Poor low end torque, stiff steering, hard clutch, very hard gear-shift (2nd to 1st), noisy gear-shift etc contributes to this. I still feel I made a big mistake going for this eye washer
Old 27th September 2008, 18:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Poor low end torque : conceded.

To all other points : I must've driven some other car with a Civic body then. Steering was light, but not feather light. Clutch was fine. Shift was butter smooth.
Old 27th September 2008, 23:52   #36
BANNED

hey..guys, whats the fuss all about. civic is a great car. i have been driving it since november 07. i do agree on some points like low end torque, but i am able to drive it perfectly uptil now in heavy delhi traffic.
another point the steering is hard as its a HPS and not EPS but its response is great and is a boon at higher speeds.mind you all beemers and mercs have HPS because its more reliable and gives better feedback.
but by no means it has a hard clutch or noisy gear shifts.
the only gripe for me is power, it could have been a bit more powerful.
Old 28th September 2008, 00:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

You want more power sanchits.. ;-) I think it has quite good bhp for the segment it is in. Yes low end torque is a problem, but I think the civic is meant to be driven a little bit differently.

Anyway's having an AT, all I need to do is floor the pedal and all the changes happen without me bothering about it. So that's a cool thing. I've been shocked to see 160+ come up pretty fast. I just want to see how long it takes from 165 to 208. Anyone knows?

swageo, I'm very surprised at the amount of problems you seem to have. I've been following your posts and I sometimes wonder if you got stuck with a bad lemon. Also people who have been used to driving Maruti's seem to have a problem adjusting to the Civic becoz of the EPS to HPS change.
Old 28th September 2008, 00:19   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
You want more power sanchits.. ;-) I think it has quite good bhp for the segment it is in. Yes low end torque is a problem, but I think the civic is meant to be driven a little bit differently.

Anyway's having an AT, all I need to do is floor the pedal and all the changes happen without me bothering about it. So that's a cool thing. I've been shocked to see 160+ come up pretty fast. I just want to see how long it takes from 165 to 208. Anyone knows?

swageo, I'm very surprised at the amount of problems you seem to have. I've been following your posts and I sometimes wonder if you got stuck with a bad lemon. Also people who have been used to driving Maruti's seem to have a problem adjusting to the Civic becoz of the EPS to HPS change.
for me the power aint enough...it should have been 140bhp. why did honda detune it to 130 bhp for India. when the C segment car like ANHC can get 118 bhp which is almost touching D segment levels then why not civic.
i am happy with its high speed performance but lacks power at lower speeds. otherwise its a lovely car.
Old 28th September 2008, 08:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Time to turbo it then!cheers:
Old 28th September 2008, 08:47   #40
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Time to turbo it then!cheers:
that wont help. it just gives more mid and high range, of which the civic has more than enough.

Old 30th September 2008, 15:06   #41
BANNED

Quote:
To all other points : I must've driven some other car with a Civic body then. Steering was light, but not feather light. Clutch was fine. Shift was butter smooth.
Don't you have to push hard to down shift from 2nd to 1st gear if car is running at 10km/hr. Also don't you hear a thud sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
another point the steering is hard as its a HPS and not EPS but its response is great and is a boon at higher speeds
We are talking about city traffic and hard HPS really shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Even I too was thinking in similar lines, till I took one more TD with dealers car. All these problems persist on that car too.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
that wont help. it just gives more mid and high range, of which the civic has more than enough.
Pardon my bad motorspeak, but can't you work the exhaust to shift some torque to the lower end while the turbo boosts the mid/high end? Maybe some ECU magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Don't you have to push hard to down shift from 2nd to 1st gear if car is running at 10km/hr. Also don't you hear a thud sound.
I'm telling you dude, shifting was butter smooth on the S I drove. No, I didn't hear any thud sounds. Believe me, I was looking for these things when I drove the car.

The only trouble I had with that car was that you needed to give a bit of pedal to get moving in first gear or it stalled. That really threw me for a loop.

P.S : The car had 22K odd kilometers logged.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 30th September 2008 at 20:15.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:35   #43
BANNED

Quote:
I'm telling you dude, shifting was butter smooth on the S I drove. No, I didn't hear any thud sounds. Believe me, I was looking for these things when I drove the car.

P.S : The car had 22K odd kilometers logged.
Mine is just 4k and hopping it will get smoother as it age. Anyway I will check this again with another car at showroom
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:52   #44
BHPian

Thanks to all for your responses. About a week back, I started driving the traffic with a little raise on the acc while moving and yes.. its really smooth.

However, about the other problems like jerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Also, I have noticed that some days there are lots of jerks in the car the moment I take the foot off the accelerator in relatively lower speed bands of the gear, but some days its just real smooth giving a good experience.
this seems to have greatly improved after doing my 2nd service. Not sure what was done, but the service consultant said that they mainly run the diags tool and top up things here and there as required and nothing much.
But whatever has been done, it has improved the ride quality. Just gotta see how many days it lasts.
So, I guess my question is how much of a difference do u feel in the ride quality when the car gets its routine servicing. Any experiences?

Another thing that is bugging me so just wanted to ask.. Just yesterday while getting the car cleaned, one of those guys (a small child) was inside the car cleaning the interiors. He was onthe passenger seat happily shifting gears in an attempt to clean that black leather cloth. He was doing it very innocently but when I saw it he had shifted the gears from 1st to 2nd to 1st... no clutch pressed. I blasted on the owner of that place and all.. but unfortunately it all got directed by him to that poor fellow. I felt sorry but couldnt help it venting out my anger.

But gurus please let me know how would this affect the clutch-gearbox mechanism. I atleast saw the gear shifted from 1st to 2nd to 1st, once.Car was parked and shutoff (ofcourse) while cleaning.
Old 2nd October 2008, 16:44   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no harm in that --- don't most of us do it in our early 'driving' lessons?

With the engine stopped, the gear will only engage if the cogs are nicely lined up.

In fact, without the engine running, pressing the clutch wouldn't serve much purpose.

Why didn;t you blast them for employing child labour? !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks