Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 14:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Problem with Clutch - Clutch cylinder replaced! Hats off to Talera Motors!

Friends,

Yesterday night, my Tavera's clutch jammed. It happened over a distance of about 4 kilometres. I checked the clutch. The pedal was stuck on the floor and was refusing to come up from the floor on its own.

I started my car in first gear, with the clutch fully pressed and drove slowly to a nearby mechanic. The free play in my clutch had reduced to just 3 or 4 cms. I usually let only GM mechanics touch my Chevy's engine. But this was an emergency! The mechanic checked the oil level and checked the underside of my car.

His verdict was that clutch plates may have been damaged or clutch cylinder may have gone bad. His estimate was Rs. 2500 to Rs. 6000.

I told him that I would come in the morning for repairs. It was an ordeal driving back home. I started my car in first gear and drove about 2 kilometres to finally reach home. All this while, the clutch had a free play of just about 4 cms. And I had to pull it up from the floor with my toe!!

I immediately called my GM service guy and he agreed to come to my house in the morning. I received around 4 more calls from GM mechanics later, enquiring about my chevy's problem.

Today morning, my mechanic, Raju, came with their breakdown vehicle, which was also a Tavera. He inspected Chevy and told me that the Clutch cylinder had to be replaced. He finished off his work pretty fast and the final bill was just Rs. 1360.

The break up is :-
Breakdown service - Rs. 650
Clutch Cylinder - Rs. 450
Labour - Rs. 200
Brake Oil (Elf) - Rs. 60

I took a test drive and was very satisfied. Thanks to GM and Talera, I am back at work now!

Team, please help me with this issue. What caused this problem? Is it common for clutch cylinder to go bust? My Chevy has 61,325 km on the Odo.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed