Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 15:32   #1
BHPian

Problem with my Wagonr

my wagonr was bought in sept08 and has done 9k as of now.

I am hearing some brushing kinda noise from the left front wheel at 60km/hr and above speed.
had given it to servicing and they replaced the shassy as it was broken.
But found that the problem still exist and so had to take it back to them. now was informed that the front left door is having gap and so there was air leak. got it fixed but again found that the problem is still there.

Also i am seeing strong vibrations in steering and driver side front door.
At around 60-75 speed, there is slight vibrations from steering. was informed this is seen in most wagonr's.
But the moment i hit 90+, the steering and driver side front door starts vibrating very heavily. you can clearly see the door and steering vibrating.
the service guy said wheel alignment can fix it but it too didnt help.

Both the above problems where seen when i had hit the bng-pune expressway at around aug end and was trying to maintain speed of 90. before that i was just using it occasionally and had hardly done 5k kms till this trip.

but i think i was also experiencing the same problem whenever i reached speed of 60. but was not taking it seriously as i assuming this problems will go after the run-in period.

Now i am feeling that the service centre guys are unncessarily fiddling around with my car without understanding the problem.

so guys please help me with your inputs.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
my wagonr was bought in sept08 and has done 9k as of now.
I guess you meant sep 07.

Wheel alignment has nothing to do with vibrations of wobbling. I hope you have got wheel balancing done checked ? because after a speed, if a car wobbles, then almost always balancing is the culprit.

Secondly, what kind of noise do you hear ?
Old 29th September 2008, 11:36   #3
BHPian

>>I guess you meant sep 07.

yeah its was bought in sep 07.

>>.Wheel alignment has nothing to do with vibrations of wobbling. I hope you have got wheel balancing done checked ? because after a speed, if a car wobbles, then almost always balancing is the culprit.
>>
i thought that wheel balancing was part of wheel alignment job.
will check out with the service guys and will get it done.

>>Secondly, what kind of noise do you hear ?
something like this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post409345
will check for worn out wheel bearings, as mentioned in above post, with the service guys.
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:20   #4
BHPian

what is the cost of wheel balancing and changing wheel bearing?
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:18   #5
BHPian

Wheel balancing and brearing costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
what is the cost of wheel balancing and changing wheel bearing?
Hi, wheel balancing and allignment are done together. However it should fairly cheap if you get it done outside of the showroom. Say about Rs 200 or so (excluding alignment). Dealer would be charging you upwards of 500/-
Bearings are expensive. Might be as high as Rs 1500 -2000 (MGP). You could get one cheaper outside, but again reliability becomes an issue. So I would recommend you to go with the original part
However changing a wheel bearing at 9K is unusual. Do you drive predominantly on the highway? In case get some good help with diagnosing the problem correctly.
Old 4th October 2008, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Definately not normal on a wagonr. Get balancing rechecked outside dealership.
Old 4th October 2008, 23:18   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Bearings are expensive. Might be as high as Rs 1500 -2000 (MGP).
For buying bearings, I suggest you take out the bearing, and there will be a number (like "2304" or "2304R") on the edge of the sleeves. Note down that number and go to the nearing bearing shop. Brands like SKF, NBC, FAG, etc. have their own shops - just look up the yellow pages for the showroom. This applies to all bearings - not just wheel bearings or for wagR alone.

For certain applications (mostly at locations which are frequently greased - like inside alternators or water pumps), you may need "sleeved" bearings - those with a good quality plastic / abs / metal covering between the sleeves.
Old 4th October 2008, 23:29   #8
BHPian

I own a wagonR done 29k kms & it comfortably goes to 100+ without any drama as you have described.

My question is. Have you ever had an accident with this car ?

Please let us know the history of the car in order to respond.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2008, 20:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
I own a wagonR done 29k kms & it comfortably goes to 100+ without any drama as you have described.

My question is. Have you ever had an accident with this car ?

Please let us know the history of the car in order to respond.

Cheers
Never had an accident. the problem was there mostly from day one, but i kept on assuming it to be part of run-in issues.
At most, and that too when i have done a trip to pune in last month, had banged into speed breaker but not at high speeds.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
For buying bearings, I suggest you take out the bearing, and there will be a number (like "2304" or "2304R") on the edge of the sleeves.
thanks for info.

I had done the wheel balancing today and had done test ride on outer ring road. the wobbling and vibrations problem seems to be ok.
but the service guy is unable to understand the sound problem.
and i just left as it as.
i would like to know how serious is this issue ?
should i get it done immediately or wait till next servicing?
Old 5th October 2008, 23:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Chetan this is something which should be addressed immediately, however, as per you description bearing seems to be culprit.

However, i would suggest to give a try to another maruti service center rather then repeating the visit to the same service center. Try to get in touch of Maruti Owned & controlled Service Centers, service staff are gernallly very courtous and helpfull in them. You may would like to speak on their helpline too as Maruti keeps a keen eye on their helplines.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:31   #12
BANNED

So, there's no vibrations now? All gone after the wheel balancing?

The sound seems to be coming from the bearing.
Do the following in an open area (like a ground or a parking lot with enough wide space).
Turn your steering to full left and drive your car in a smooth speed (as you're taking a fast U turn), keep your windows down and your ears open or ask a friend of yours to stand outside and listen. Any cracking/rough/unusual sounds?
Try a similar right turn and observe for the same. Repeat couple a times.
If you're able to notice some unusual loud sounds from your wheels/under the suspension, then it could be your drive shaft/s or bearing/s.

I would suggest you an immediate attention by some expert. Don't just rely on one place. Try different reliable Service centres.
Old 6th October 2008, 17:28   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Right looks like the bearing.....
but just to add 2 more points...
1) Sure its the front wheel and not the rear (sometimes it can be had to make out) ... the rear wheels are more prone to brushing noises b'cos of the drum brakes. (not sure if that can be a reason for noise at higher speeds)

2) Before changing the beaing ... just try rotating the tyres. Some of these OEM tyres go awfully bad too soon!....
Old 9th October 2008, 21:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
So, there's no vibrations now? All gone after the wheel balancing?
yeah. no vibration at speed of 60-80kms.
However i have to test at 90+kms.

the service guy also informed me that the front 2 wheels rims have some "out". i am assuming that by this he meant the rim is not in perfect circular shape.

i have seen a authorised maruti service centre near my house in kagdaspura ( c v raman nagar).
i am planning to get it checked there on this weekend.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Right looks like the bearing.....
but just to add 2 more points...
1) Sure its the front wheel and not the rear (sometimes it can be had to make out) ... the rear wheels are more prone to brushing noises b'cos of the drum brakes. (not sure if that can be a reason for noise at higher speeds)

2) Before changing the beaing ... just try rotating the tyres. Some of these OEM tyres go awfully bad too soon!....
i think its the front wheels. had asked my wife to sit in rear seats and check for noise and had found that the noise was coming from front side.

i didnt get what to check while "just try rotating the tyres". i have been told by service guy that there is somekind of "out" in both the front wheels. does it mean i need to replace them in this case?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks