Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 01:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Send it for sure, they're pretty good with warranty stuff. Much better than Michelin. If you don't have a cut/pinch shock on the inner side of the sidewall it'll be replaced so no harm. If it doesn't work out, get a new one.
Old 1st October 2008, 02:14   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Danny, relax we'll talk to the sardar if he can't do it, we'll try getting another tyre. Currently concentrate on the suspension set up. And yes that minor incident, wasn't so minor after all now was it? Damn the government, we pay road tax and they do nothing to ensure smooth roads.
Old 1st October 2008, 09:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
And yes that minor incident, wasn't so minor after all now was it? Damn the government, we pay road tax and they do nothing to ensure smooth roads.

Lol. Iam wondering how come you didnt see the bump in the road also.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

its the tyres!! and sub frame is the part which looks like a big piece of metal sheet on which suspension parts are mounted (looks similar to a sump guard but sits behind the engine and tranny covering the sides)
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:42   #20
BHPian

I can say for sure the swaying is attributable to the torn bush of the lower arms, i had similar problems earlier but by the time i realised it, new tyres which had done 2000kms approx. were gone. The inner treads had dissapered and linng were comming out.
The lower arms are mighty expensive at Rs.7000 a piece, but if you look at it they are not the ones which get damaged, its always the bushes, try and source bushes from local mechanics, they should be available for approx. Rs 500 for two.
At Ford they will always tell you to replace the whole arm and in most probability will throw in a problem with the axle or something to suck out more money.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Update

Went today to get the tire and suspension changed. Suprisingly After the lower Arms were changed the car started to sway even more. BUT i hadnt changed the Shock yet.

Today i went and did just that. Got the Right side shock changed. The car feels more stable though while going over a rough patch on the road than before. But above 60 it still feels bad. Couldnt get the alignment done again as they were closed today.

Had done the alignment earlier after changing the lower arms.Shockingly After it came back the car still moves to the left and now the steering is at an angle. So if iam driving straight then the steering tilts to the left and only then does the car move in a straight line. SATURDAY will get and update after Alignment again.

TIRE:
Went to the tire shop for my Yokohama, Spoke to the man who sold the tire to me. Now from the outside of the tire there is no cut, Its only a bulge. BUT from the inside theres like a hairline cut about an inch wide and isnt deep at all.
The man said that its no use giving the tire to YOKOHAMA as they will not replace for a new one since there is cut. Inspite of telling him to send it anyways.
He then suggested that i put a patch on the tire and move it to one of the back wheels and continue to drive without any problem. Ofcourse i rejected that idea instantly.
I knew that if after all this i still push him to send the tire to the company, He would take it from me but leave it at his shop saying he sent it to the company and they rejected it.
As of now the tire is with me. Will post pics of it soon.

ANY SUGGESTIONS..???

MOds: Could you merge this thread with the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-problems.html

Last edited by danlalan : 10th October 2008 at 01:36. Reason: Thread Merge
Old 10th October 2008, 01:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

If the Tyre has an internal cut, the manufacturer should be notified. Could you consider e-mailing calling the Yokohama people? External cuts happens due to sharp objects tearing off the rubber. But internal cut could be a load failre within the tyre itself. Driving with a bulge on the sidewall, Not at all recommended. Morever you have a certain weakspot ont he sidewall which could cause blowout while in motion.

Alignment needs to be performed every time a front suspension component is worked on. get your toe readings right and you should have a stable car (now that there is nothing left to change).
Old 11th October 2008, 00:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the tire.

There is no significant mark of any sort on the outerside of the sidewall. BUT on the inner side of the wall theres a cut.

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-10102008051.jpg

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-11102008053.jpg

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-11102008054.jpg

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-11102008057.jpg
Old 11th October 2008, 21:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Update

Went to get the wheels aligned today. It seems that the car had taken a really bad hit.
Now the Alignment guy tells me that my camber angle(negative camber) for the damaged side tilts 2mm more to the inner side that the other side.
This is becuase the "Knuckle" is damaged. WHATS THAT..??? He said its ok to run the car on that and no problem. Showed it to the mech and he said the same thing.

BUT

Even after the alignment and a test drive. The car still FEELS ODD!!!! Its doesnt seem that it can handle that well at high speeds.

WHAT CAN I DO NOW..???

Tire:

Getting a new tire. So tire issue is over.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

after such an impact following should be checked.
1. suspension, any leakage, bend, or the base where it is mounted deformed.
2. lower arm, this can be major cause of your problem.
3. base where No.2 is mounted.
4. bend wheel, since you have alloy, there is a bleak chance. The bulge on the tyre is not the cause of you handling problem.
5. torrison beam and its related rubber bushing
did i left anything
Old 11th October 2008, 22:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
after such an impact following should be checked.
1. suspension, any leakage, bend, or the base where it is mounted deformed.
2. lower arm, this can be major cause of your problem.
3. base where No.2 is mounted.
4. bend wheel, since you have alloy, there is a bleak chance. The bulge on the tyre is not the cause of you handling problem.
5. torrison beam and its related rubber bushing
did i left anything
1. The suspension was the problem for the above mentioned
2. Lower arms were a problem so i got them changed
3. Base is the knuckle...??
4. Checked. Tire changed
5. Torrison beam no damage.
Old 12th October 2008, 01:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I can say for sure the swaying is attributable to the torn bush of the lower arms, i had similar problems earlier but by the time i realised it, new tyres which had done 2000kms approx. were gone. The inner treads had dissapered and linng were comming out.
The lower arms are mighty expensive at Rs.7000 a piece, but if you look at it they are not the ones which get damaged, its always the bushes, try and source bushes from local mechanics, they should be available for approx. Rs 500 for two.
At Ford they will always tell you to replace the whole arm and in most probability will throw in a problem with the axle or something to suck out more money.
same car here, same symptoms. one of my front tyres got worn out like what you mentioned. luckily before the other one packed up, i changed the front suspension lower arms. cost me a total of 5200 including labour. i didn't get it done at a ford service center though. the bushes though had already been changed earlier. i forgot how much it cost, i could check and let you know though.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
same car here, same symptoms. one of my front tyres got worn out like what you mentioned. luckily before the other one packed up, i changed the front suspension lower arms. cost me a total of 5200 including labour. i didn't get it done at a ford service center though. the bushes though had already been changed earlier. i forgot how much it cost, i could check and let you know though.
I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the cost of the bushes as Ford people refuse to change just the bushes, they say the arms HAVE to be replaced.
I have also heard from local mechanics that the arms can be repaired and bushes can be replaced. And i too got a similar quote for the job so lets see, i might experiment this time.
Old 13th October 2008, 14:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the cost of the bushes as Ford people refuse to change just the bushes, they say the arms HAVE to be replaced.
I have also heard from local mechanics that the arms can be repaired and bushes can be replaced. And i too got a similar quote for the job so lets see, i might experiment this time.
sure bro. i'm in the office now. when i get home i'll update you about it. latest by tomorrow.

about repairing the lower arms: how do they say they'll repair it? i'm curious. both the local mechanics i went to (the 2nd one was where i got the job done) decided to replace. i don't know to what extent your damage is but mine was such that the steering was all over the place at all speeds. furthermore, you could actually see the wheels bent at a big angle. something like this
__
/ \

when they should obviously be like this

__
| |
Old 13th October 2008, 23:10   #30
BHPian

lower arm bushes & ball joints for 1000. & front strut bush kit for 400 is what my bill says.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks