Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Does the load on the AC compressor reduce when the cooling level is reduced?

A rather complicated question. I have an 2005 Alto LXi. I wanted to know what happens when I move the air temperature slider control towards the warmer side.

a. The load on the AC compressor reduces
b. No difference to the AC compressor and air from outside the car is mixed with the air cooled by the AC

Does this work differently in C and D segment cars?

Thanks
Old 13th November 2008, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Compressor is a mechanical device run through a clutch mechanism attached to the drive belt. Hence, according to me its almost impossible to adjust the working efficiency of the same. The load on the compressor always remains the same as long as it does not 'trip' via a relay.

The air temprature becomes higher because the engine heat (essentially the heat from boiling coolent) is mixed with the cool compressor air when you adjuct the knob.
Old 13th November 2008, 16:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the compressor switches on & off depending on when it reaches the desired cooling level. This cooling level is determined by where you position the air temperature slider control. The compressor will run for a longer period if the setting is at the Max Cooling as opposed to being towards the centre or upper two thirds........
Old 13th November 2008, 16:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
AFAIK, the compressor switches on & off depending on when it reaches the desired cooling level. This cooling level is determined by where you position the air temperature slider control. The compressor will run for a longer period if the setting is at the Max Cooling as opposed to being towards the centre or upper two thirds........

Yes, I agree this may happen in higher segment cars esp with climate control, but I have noticed any effect in my Alto, the reduction in power remains the same! As the Alto has a powerful compressor compared to the engine size, I was wondering what is the better option to reduce the load (in layman terms not technical ) on the compressor

a. Switch the AC on and off periodically
b. Reduce the temperature by the slider control (in 2005 model)

Thanks again!

Most Viewed