Old 2nd October 2008, 01:46   #1
BANNED

is this for real?

Quote:
The Honda City is a car made for the Asian market and as such there are no
readily avialble mods to fit on that car. Also Turbo upgrades and such on
the Honda City is not recommended at all since these engines are not built
for turbo pressures and will ultimitly break. The only relaible mod that can
be done is a good Exhaust system coupled with a good Intake system.
this is what was said by Pete's support about my 1.3 Exi City and is directly contrdictory to all the information I have collected so far. expert comments, please?
Old 2nd October 2008, 15:35   #2
BHPian

recommended right

Yes Black magic you got the right recommendation from petes, actually normal petrol engines are designed to run on a compressioj ratio for 8.5:1 to 10:1 as against diesels(18:1 to 22:1).

So Petrol engines components like piston, conrod, crankshaft etdc are made much less sterdier than diesel so they are weaker than diesel components.

Second thing the petrol engines are designed to run at higher RPMs than diesles, so again moving parts are made much lighter(to avoid momentum of reciprocating mass) and hence again weaker as compared to deisels.

So diesel make ideal candidate for turbo charging.

If you turbo or super charge a petrol without changes in clearance volume(which is expensive & expert Job), you will be pushing more air in engine for better combustion, ofcourse agreed with you. But at the same time the more air is getting compressed in to same clearance volume causing more stress to components leading to premature failure.

Second consequence can be preignition leading to knocking with regular fuel ,a nd hence a drop in performance rather than increase, and shockwaves of preignition leading to premature failure of engine.
Old 2nd October 2008, 15:48   #3
BHPian

Great technical knowledge provided here, Arun. Of course these are basics, but so often we forget the basics.
Old 2nd October 2008, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

That's a bit strange, isn't it?
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, whats strange ? A honda city not capable of upgrades? or
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:57   #6
BANNED

I do get the point that more air => more combustion => more strain on engine and that it is expensive and laborious, something Im fully willing to accept.
what I could not believe is that every mechanic Ive known says this engine is rock solid. then somebody dismissing it completely and saying that the only options available are to swap an air filter and the exhaust is something I haven't been able to digest.
to be fair, the lady did say that Pete's deals only with bolt-on modifications.

I didnt buy a 1.5 Exi because I was fixated on the VTEC and when I couldnt get any, took the first car which came across as nicely maintained and ended up with this.

now what would the experts recommend I do with this?
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

No, it's a bit strange that Pete's doesn't recommend turbocharging an OHC.
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

One can TC any car as long as they take care of the internals. Basic requirements are forged con rods and proper stress treatment for the moving parts involved.

Basically, most modern cars have lightened parts made of Aluminum alloys with reduced mass to enhance revability as also withstand the stress just enough for the power generated. Any further increase in making the parts rigid would be at the cost of FE.

By TCing a stock engine, the life of the engine comes down if proper enhancements to the engine are not made.
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I'll spell it out. I think it's strange because Peter had a turbo OHC himself, and no issues with it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
One can TC any car as long as they take care of the internals. Basic requirements are forged con rods and proper stress treatment for the moving parts involved.
I don't think forged connecting rods are basic requirements.

Most Viewed