Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 11:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
ya my idle solenoid is having problems currently as the throttle body is clogged due to K&N filter passing on dirt in it. while idling the rpm fluctuates.
so it is due to this i am facing the exhaust problem?
Hi
Even my Tachometer shows fluctuation at idle RPM.I wonder if this is due to K&N.Mine is carb 800 though.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Dont know much about Altos - but try getting the Throttle Cables and Return Springs checked.
Old 11th November 2008, 18:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik
No. Conditions at zero throttle and RPMs above a certain limit (~2000) will enable a fuel-cut operation to cut emissions and increase FE. All modern day cars have this feature.
But then, for all FI systems (or carb, for that matter), the injectors still pump in fuel at zero throttle; the amount of fuel that enables the engine to idle.

As a practical example, if, we go to zero throttle when the car is already travelling at "X" kmph, the tacho still idles at 11-1200 RPM, (upon depressing the clutch) right? The fuel supply is never shut off completely.

Technically, since the ECU goes into closed loop at ~2K, (or upon zero degree TPS actuation) it enables idle fuelling; Or so I've seen.

Karthik, could you please explain the intricacies of fuelling at zero throttle? Maybe there's something more here (apart from the timer settings at cold start to pass into closed loop)...

Last edited by veyron1 : 11th November 2008 at 18:46.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:48   #34
BHPian

Normally,

You can expect these noises and burning fluctuations if there is a mismatch between the fuel being pumped into combustion chamber and the possible combustion given the amount of air beign sucked in. The pain points could be any of the below -

1. Impurity in petrol
2. Fluctuating fuel pump
3. Air filter is faulty
4. The silencer pipe needs cleaning
5. The injectors and and cylinders need cleaning, as there could be a clogging.

Now that you say the K&N Filter is not doing its job, and in Indian conditions, very soon the air filter gets filled with dust and requires frequent cleaning.. so please get your injector cleaned and try to clean air filter once in a month, if you drive in city. I know how my Alto engine behaved till i discovered this trait upon careful observation for sometime.
Your engine compartment must have a lot of vibration, once you clean the filters and injectorts, just notice the change in vibration and noise, good luck mate.

Check on dirty exhaust as well, and please change the oil in 4-5ks, even if the maruti guys do not always reccomend; thanks to the adulteration, you must change oil in every 5K I guess?
Old 16th November 2008, 21:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
@sumeet: Check your idle solenoid.. get your carb serviced, and replace the primary jet & primary & secondary needles, if necessary.
Hi what's a idle solenoid? Can this rich mixture be due to the K&N filter.For now i have switched to paper filter.
thanks
Old 17th November 2008, 09:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

i got my throttle body cleaned. the idle solenoid valve was cleaned. now there is no idling issue.
also since then i dint hear any popping sound from my exhaust. i also got my K&N filter replaced free of cost. it wasnt clogged yet passing all the dirt through it. i had cleaned my throttle body 3 times within 1000 kms.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i got my throttle body cleaned. the idle solenoid valve was cleaned. now there is no idling issue.
also since then i dint hear any popping sound from my exhaust. i also got my K&N filter replaced free of cost. it wasnt clogged yet passing all the dirt through it. i had cleaned my throttle body 3 times within 1000 kms.
Just as I had thought, this is due to high amount of dust in our cities.
Old 26th November 2008, 19:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

K&N Air filter and petrol smell

Hi guys,
even though i have replaced my K&N air filter with a stock one for now , i distinctively remember that the car used to smell of petrol after starting when i had a K&N air filter installed.It's like the engine being flooded when you start it by pumping the gas pedal too much on a cold start (it's a carb,800).
Any idea why this could be??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks