Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:01   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post

I agree. This happened to me a couple of times last monsoon. Initially i got petrified and called Ford SC, the SA told me it's a common thing and all i need to do is gently reverse the car and the brake will get released. It worked!
But if the wheels still refuse to budge even after this technique then i belive there should be a problem!
Won't there be a problem to try moving the wheel under the force or damage the internals?

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Won't there be a problem to try moving the wheel under the force or damage the internals?

Anurag.
Not really, the only component under pressure here is the rear brakes, which are built for that! So a gentle nudge would do no harm IMO!
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:19   #33
BANNED

Re: Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Not really, the only component under pressure here is the rear brakes, which are built for that! So a gentle nudge would do no harm IMO!
All (at at least almost all) drum brakes have a self leverage design, this gives more braking but the unfortunate side is the locking on prolonged hand brake application. So the advice to try reversing a tad to unlock is very sound and correct.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The best thing to do is to park the car just in first or reverse gear and NOT use the hand brakes if you know that the car will be stationary for long; of course provided that the terrain you are parking is safe enough for parking without brakes. The rear drums locking due to jammed cylinder is very common problem if the car is parked for long with hand brakes engaged. I had to replace both the jammed rear brake cylinders 3-4 days ago. One had jammed and the other was apparently leaking as there was too much dust, dirt & greasy stuff around a cylinder.

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd November 2013 at 11:25.
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:33   #35
BHPian

Today I faced the same problem in my Estilo. Had the same problem in the last year monsoons, but it was not as severe. Today I tried driving for some meters hoping that the rear wheels will be free, but they didn't. Also tried reversing, but still no use. Will try soft hammering on the drums and see if that helps.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:33   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Today I faced the same problem in my Estilo. Had the same problem in the last year monsoons, but it was not as severe. Today I tried driving for some meters hoping that the rear wheels will be free, but they didn't. Also tried reversing, but still no use. Will try soft hammering on the drums and see if that helps.
Will not advice you to hammer or drive the car to free up the jam. Better is to open it up. Will be cheaper and safer as it'll not damage any component. Jack up the car and open the wheels.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:51   #37
BHPian

Last week when I visited my friend's garage, somebody had come there for the same problem. Since it's monsoon and there are some water clogged areas, sometimes these brake drums develop leaks and internals get rusty and jam up.
In this case, drum was opened and the cylinder freed up and things were back to normal. I don't know about the water tight integrity of the drum in future but this was the reason for the jam.
Old 4th August 2014, 07:16   #38

I think its a common problem especially with Ford Figo, Ive seen many come to the workshop with this issue. The company also acknowledges that its a common problem and cannot be prevented.

This car was kept idle only for a day after washing and it rear wheels are jammed. My mechanic told me that it can be fixed by replacing the rear brake system with that of a fiesta. But again that a costly and skilled job.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:21   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I don't know about the water tight integrity of the drum in future but this was the reason for the jam.
Brake drums are not watertight, far from it actually. That's one of the reasons they jam when the car is left stationary for some time.

disc brakes are much less susecptible to jamming, even they are even less water tight. I was very surprised actually when we bought our Ford Focus in the US to see it still came with rear wheel brake drums.
My 1986 Alfa Romep Spider sports disc brakes front and rear and that was built nearly 30 years ago.
I guess it must be cheaper to install drums over disc brakes

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 4th August 2014 at 09:31.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 10:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Will not advice you to hammer or drive the car to free up the jam. Better is to open it up. Will be cheaper and safer as it'll not damage any component. Jack up the car and open the wheels.

Anurag.
Sorry, read this post now! I did hammer a bit!
The problem is only with the left rear drum. I did however jack up the car, open the wheels and then did some delicate hammering on the drums. Even I wasn't sure if that would have helped and didn't want to damage anything further, so bolted the wheel back. Tried reversing and forwarding with some jerks, but no use; they remain jammed.
Will call the MASS guy today and get it solved. Again, he wont be able to take my car to the workshop. Lets see what solution he comes up with. Will update on the same.

Thanks guys!
Old 4th August 2014, 10:17   #41
BANNED

I used to have this problem with the old FIAT/Premiers, where the cable was rusted. Never seen this in modern cars. One thing I have experienced is that the adhesive used to fix the linings to the shoes, tends to come undone after 6-7 years, and then the lining goes free and jams. Have seen it at least three times, in different cars. So irrespective of the mileage change shoes at 5 years plus.
Old 4th August 2014, 11:53   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Faced this issue both in my Polo and my Cruze. Have instructed my Polo's driver (especially during current monsoons or when it is likely to be washed and then kept stationary) are to engage first gear and not handbrakes.

Pratice the same in my Cruze and have never faced that alarming grinding noise/lurch during start-off ever since!
Old 9th August 2014, 01:50   #43
BHPian

Had called the MASS to fix my rear jammed wheel. They sent a mechanic who just hit the drum with a fat-long nail and a hammer, and it was free! We did take the car to the workshop and freed up the brake cylinders and cleaned the brake assembly.
He suggested, not to keep the car idle for over a week in monsoons. A short drive to warm up the brakes and avoid them getting jammed.

Thanks!
Old 9th August 2014, 10:17   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
He suggested, not to keep the car idle for over a week in monsoons. A short drive to warm up the brakes and avoid them getting jammed.

Thanks!
Nishant, in case you know that the car will be lying idle for more than a couple of days, then you can just leave the car in first or reverse gear without applying the hand brakes.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 12:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Nishant, in case you know that the car will be lying idle for more than a couple of days, then you can just leave the car in first or reverse gear without applying the hand brakes.
Sure thing.
Thanks Saket!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks