Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2005, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Drive shaft noise - Need help

I have been getting some noise from the drive shaft of my Ikon, off late. This usually occurs when I shift up, say from second to third gear at about 40kmph, and then floor the pedal. It stays for about 3-4 seconds and then everything is smooth. It happens in almost all gears from 3rd - 5th. The noise sounds like some component is not able to take the load. This does not happen if the acceleration is gradual. Is this something serious to worry about?
Old 28th March 2005, 13:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like there is some play due to wear and tear leading to gear backlash - does this happen when the car is turning ? Could mean a riveshaft replcement or somedifferential bearings needing replacement. How many km has the car done ?
Old 28th March 2005, 13:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

A good way to check if your driveshaft is on its last legs is to turn your wheel to full lock and take a turn. Do this in bopth directions. If you hear a clicking noise, then it's time to change you driveshaft.

Also make sure your driveshaft rubber covers are not torn. This would mean the grease would get dirty, causing noise. If you catch it and change the cover in time, you may get away without too much damage to your driveshaft.

If it is more a one-time noise like a "clunk" when you accelerate only, then it could be your balljoints or tie-rod ends.
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2005, 14:17   #4
BHPian

Well, this occurs mostly when I am not accelerating and not during turns. My car is about 10 months old and has done only 6k Kms.
Old 28th March 2005, 14:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, that's odd. If your car is only 10 months/6000km old, it would/should not be your driveshaft.

What kind of noise is it? Is it a whine, grating noise etc?

Another thing it could be is engine knock. As you say, it happens when you floor the throttle. If you floor the throttle from too low an rpm, the engine may knock a bit. And, as you say this noise goes away after a few seconds, showing all the symptoms of engine knock.

The cure for this is not to let your revvs drop too low in any gear. Downshift and accelerate away.
Old 28th March 2005, 14:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab
Well, this occurs mostly when I am not accelerating and not during turns. My car is about 10 months old and has done only 6k Kms.
That is alarming ! Is n't there a warranty period ? worst case ask for good will or ask Autocarindia to poke their nose in !
Old 28th March 2005, 14:56   #7
BHPian

Rtech:

The sound is more like a grating noise. Also, my car hits 40kmph mark at about 2500-2700 rpm in 2nd gear. If I now shift to 3rd, then am I letting the revs drop low for the 3rd? I am new to driving so I may be doing things wrong here. By the way, mine is 1.6 Ikon and I use Speed 93 regularly.

Ajmat:
Yes, I do have the car covered under warranty. I will surely head out for the service center and get them to inspect it.

Thanks
Girish.
Old 28th March 2005, 15:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sound is more like a grating noise. Also, my car hits 40kmph mark at about 2500-2700 rpm in 2nd gear. If I now shift to 3rd, then am I letting the revs drop low for the 3rd? I am new to driving so I may be doing things wrong here. By the way, mine is 1.6 Ikon and I use Speed 93 regularly.
That's bcoz you're letting the engine get bogged down. It's common for all cars (except ones that produce considerable torque at very low rpms).

Check you car manual and see what the optimum shifting point in each gear is. If the 3rd gear is tall, then the revvs will surely drop.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th March 2005 at 15:20.
Old 28th March 2005, 15:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab
Dont worry. go to workshop and talk to guys. and take the extended package for 3k , other wise u land up like a tbhpian who had toubles with palio1.6 and shell 2lakhs with in 2 years.
Old 28th March 2005, 15:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
That's bcoz you're letting the engine get bogged down. It's common for all cars
Shan2nu, I'm not getting this. Explanation please..
Old 28th March 2005, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu, I'm not getting this. Explanation please..
When the engine revvs drop too low, the engine gives out a sort of clanking sound until the revvs increase.

Like he said, for 3-4 secs and then its smooth.

Though my car doesn't clank at 40kmph in 3rd, it depends on how the car is geared and will diff from car to car.

Maybe 2700 is not the ideal rpm to upshift. If it's a driveshaft problem, then even a shift at 3000 or 3500 should produce the same sound.

The problem looks to be more engine related than the driveshaft.

But a trip to a service station is a must. Get it checked asap.

Shan2nu
Old 28th March 2005, 17:18   #12
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Will pay a visit to the service station and update you guys on what they say.
Old 28th March 2005, 18:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
The problem looks to be more engine related than the driveshaft.
That's the reason why I asked you. According to girishab, noise is coming from drive shaft. What you're saying here is typical pinging noise.
Old 28th March 2005, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the reason why I asked you. According to girishab, noise is coming from drive shaft. What you're saying here is typical pinging noise.
Maybe, coz pinging is most likely to happen when you floor the throttle and if you read what he said in the opening message (quoted below), it sounds very much like a pinging problem.

Quote:
This usually occurs when I shift up, say from second to third gear at about 40kmph, and then floor the pedal.
Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th March 2005 at 18:49.
Old 28th March 2005, 19:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

well girishab, it does seem more like a engine noise rather than drive shaft noise. but anyways, since your baby is literally brand new,get the CV joints checked, just in case.
and also, the ikon runs even on 87 octane gas, so 91 octane might not give the desired performance at mid/low-range, as the 1.6 sports a compression ratio of 8.4:1, and hence, the engine could knock/ping at low revs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks