Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 12:23   #1

Greasing points for a Car

Hello everyone,
I am a newbie to Team Bhp, though I was a passive visitor for a year, this is my first post .

my query being, where are the usual greasing points in a car located? especially for the wheel bearings, the steering joints, suspension and other parts. I tried getting down under the car and finding them myself but couldnt find any grease nipples.My car is Indica Xeta 2008 model.

i tried searching on the forum but couldnt get much related to this exact topic.
Regards to all and thanks in advance

Mithun
Old 8th October 2008, 00:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Most of the new cars have very few greasing points as in some of the old cars. Wheel bearing are sealed unit in Indica and do not need greasing, as for others mentioned by you are also sealed units and there is no greasing point as such, during servicing if there's a need the mechanic will open these parts and service them.
Those nipples you are talking about are no more found on new cars.
Old 8th October 2008, 03:46   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

All I grease in my car are door locks and hinges! As they are the one that are noisy if not greased regularly.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:08   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mithun,

Most modern cars don't require greasing like the cars of old. The maximum that you could do is apply some white grease (water resistant) to the gear shift linkages that are underneath the car.

You could grease the clutch spring (found inside nead the cluth pedal) that will remove any squeaks when using the clutch and also the door hinges and bonnet release lock.

These small bits will go a long way in ensuring your beloved car is free from squeaks.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 1st April 2009, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

I need to grease my car's door hinges and locks. So what type of grease should I use? where to get them(preferably in small quantity)?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:18   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Bumping up an old thread.

I need to grease my car's door hinges and locks. So what type of grease should I use? where to get them(preferably in small quantity)?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
Use good old Vaseline (petroleum jelly). I find this the best. You can also use white grease but only a few brands are really white. However, I prefer Vaseline, easily available, almost zero staining, etc.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:56   #7
BHPian

Thanks sgiitk.

I came across this particular product ; sprayable grease [ General Products, Rust Protector, Galvanizing Spray, Sprayable Grease, Synthetic Compressor Oil, Antiseize Compound, Non Toxic Gel ].

Has anyone used it before?

-Matt
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:44   #8
BHPian

Does the concept of greasing a car still exist

Was having an interesting discussion with my dad about what giving a car for servicing meant. (He still recollects giving the premier delux be to the local chaggan mitha petrol pump in Mumbai for 'servicing' ). And it brought up two interesting questions for me...

1> Does the concept of 'greasing' a car (applying grease to joints etc) exist as a part of regular servicing?

2> Does the concept of petrol pumps having a 'servicing' dept (i still have memories of high pressure water-jets pummeling the underside of the car) still exist?
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:55   #9
BHPian

I too wonder about the same, have seen the local water service wallahs applying grease underneath in the joints for the trucks and autorikshaws. But never seen it done in car. Though i suppose the service station to grease appropriate parts during servicing.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am sure atleast the door hinges are still greased
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes it does, I recently got it done in my car. Not sure about ALL the joints, but did get them greased/lubricated.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

when i get my car back from service, i find all my interiors covered in a fine layer of grease. kinda makes it look better, but not sure if the mechs have grasped the concept of greasing a car the right way

happens with a friend's wagon R too
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Not really. The new generation cars have much better hardware in terms of bearings. However, we still use a transparent grease for door hinges. I have seen some people using a spray for the same.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
2> Does the concept of petrol pumps having a 'servicing' dept (i still have memories of high pressure water-jets pummeling the underside of the car) still exist?
In Yelahanka (near Kogilu cross), there is a IOCL fuel station and near by garage (on right side) and a tyre repair shop (on the left side)

the Garage can do washing, cleaning, vaccume, polishing the interiors and exteriors. it can also do the coolant change, oil change, wheel alignment, removing rim bends, break check etc. I am sure they can do a bit more servicing and greasing ofcourse.

the tyre repair shop can ofcourse repair punctures, replace tyres/tubes etc.

all the three joints are owned by seperate owners, but adjacent to each other.

i am sure such arrangemts can be found elsewhere as well.
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Suspension greasing/lubricating/tuning on a Eeco

My 4-yr old Eeco is sparingly used, but it is creaking from end to end. I have went underneath and find the boots and bushes etc in good form. The radiator housing is corroded for some reason but there is nothing that seems out-of-order but there is definite grating to the suspension. And the ride has also become very harsh of late. It has just run 10K and I need some kind of suggestion on what exactly to lubricate or grease here. The rear differential housing is one such candidate which I need to look into .. what are the other areas ?

I have made a list after some research. Is this corect ?

1. Rubber boots (tie rod end)
2. Check the strut piston rod bushing or tie rod for leak
3. CV Shaft
4. Rear Differential Housing Oil Change
5. Wheel Bearing Grease (may not be possible ?)
6. Steering cable lubrication
7. Brake Fluid
8. Change bush set of front strut
9. Gear shift linkage
10. Clutch Spring
11. Gear Oil (transmission oil)
12. Brake Caliper Greasing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks