Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 13:08   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28

No, the car was not jet sprayed. Only the body cleaning was done daily by mopping with water and wet cloth. Rest was done only during the regular servicing which was done at the authorised workshop only.

Thanks for the details.

As far as I know, the car has not travelled thru deep water or rain. It was in perfect running condition. Infact it was running when it suddenly stalled and stopped.

As for trying multiple times to restart the engine when the car stopped, I think the driver would have done that since it must never have occured that the problem could be water entering the engine.

The repair estimate received is as below:
1) Engine Block :- Rs. 2,25,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
2) 4 pc piston with ring :- Rs. 90,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
3) 4 pc connecting road :- Rs. 60,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
4) Crank shaft :- Rs. 1,05,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
5) Piston & crank shaft bearing :- Rs. 24,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
6) Thrust washer :- Rs. 4,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
7) All oil seal :- Rs. 12,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
8) Oil pump :- Rs. 18,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
9) Timing kit :- Rs. 15,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
10) Head gasket :- Rs. 06,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
11) Engine oil & oil filter :- Rs. 9,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
12) coolant :- Rs. 2,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
13) Head lath work :- Rs. 28,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
14) Valve oil seal :- Rs. 11,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
15) Crankshaft main bearing :- Rs. 15,600/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
16) Cam shaft :- Rs. 78,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR

We are still not able to understand what must have really happened. So any more inputs on what could have gone wrong as well as on the estimate would be really helpful.
These prices really look outrageous! Check with Skoda if they can supply a fully built replacement engine instead. You can ask them to consider your case as a special one and do it under goodwill. Try reaching out to Ashutosh Dixit who heads sales and service in Skoda.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th August 2012 at 13:10.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:34   #377
BANNED

Re: Skoda Laura engine damage due to water ingress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
No, the car was not jet sprayed. Only the body cleaning was done daily by mopping with water and wet cloth. Rest was done only during the regular servicing which was done at the authorised workshop only.
The repair estimate received is as below:
It is very evident from the below estimate that the dealer has simply pulled up a list of all the parts that make an engine and has quoted them to you with labor.

Has the engine been dismantled? If yes, there is little that can be done, however, if the engine has not yet been dismantled, please put things on hold.

Quote:
1) Engine Block :- Rs. 2,25,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
The engine block does not get damaged so easily. What is the damage? Ask these questions to the ASC in writing.
Quote:
2) 4 pc piston with ring :- Rs. 90,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
This could be possible. Agreed.
Quote:
3) 4 pc connecting road :- Rs. 60,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Are the connecting rods damaged? If so, what is the damage?
Quote:
4) Crank shaft :- Rs. 1,05,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
What is the crank shaft damage? It is made of cast iron and is completely resistant to corrosion, flex and any change in its characteristics. What is the damage here?
Quote:
5) Piston & crank shaft bearing :- Rs. 24,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
6) Thrust washer :- Rs. 4,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
7) All oil seal :- Rs. 12,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
8) Oil pump :- Rs. 18,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
This too should not get damaged so easily. How was it checked? What is wrong with it? Why is it not repairable? I m sure this is repairable outside, if not at Skoda. At most, it would have lost a few bearings and seals.
Quote:
9) Timing kit :- Rs. 15,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Why, what does the kit consist of?
Quote:
10) Head gasket :- Rs. 06,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
11) Engine oil & oil filter :- Rs. 9,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
12) coolant :- Rs. 2,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
Quote:
13) Head lath work :- Rs. 28,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Sorry, what is the basis of this quote? Which lathe are they taking it to? A quote outside should not cost you more than 10-12K at most.
Quote:
14) Valve oil seal :- Rs. 11,500/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR
Agreed.
15) Crankshaft main bearing :- Rs. 15,600/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR[/quote] Agreed.
16) Cam shaft :- Rs. 78,000/- + TAX + VAT + LABOR[/quote] What is the damage?

So all in all, the items that seem to need replacement are:

2,5,6,7,13 (with negotiation) and 15. So the total bill, in my opinion should come to around 200,000.00INR plus labor which should be around 30K.

Also, give me the make and model of your Laura and I will try to get some more details.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 16:21   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
These prices really look outrageous!
Outrageous does not even begin to describe it . One can source a Laura's engine in perfect running condition for less than half the amount given in the estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is very evident from the below estimate that the dealer has simply pulled up a list of all the parts that make an engine and has quoted them to you with labor.

Why, what does the kit consist of?
Completely agree with what you are saying. The timing kit has the belt, the tensioners (guess there are 2 of them) and a pully.

Such a ripoff Skoda A** is.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:54   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Has the engine been dismantled? If yes, there is little that can be done, however, if the engine has not yet been dismantled, please put things on hold.

So all in all, the items that seem to need replacement are:

2,5,6,7,13 (with negotiation) and 15. So the total bill, in my opinion should come to around 200,000.00INR plus labor which should be around 30K.

Also, give me the make and model of your Laura and I will try to get some more details.
Thanks a ton for the detailed review. The engine has not been dismantled and the repair work has not yet started becasue we have not given them the green signal. Will surely ask for written explanations for each item as suggested by you. The car is Skoda Laura L&K 2008 model.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:42   #380
BANNED

Quote:
Will surely ask for written explanations for each item as suggested by you. The car is Skoda Laura L&K 2008 model.
Can you PM me or send me the VIN of your Laura please?
It will help me to dig deeper.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:35   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

@ Sandy28: Get the work done from some reliable independent workshop, you will have to pay just a fraction of this quote. BTW there is no harm in getting an alternate opinion before saying yes for such an expensive job which is even more expensive than the car itself.

Source a good reputed imported cars part supplier and get his quotes once some reliable mechanic confirms the job.

My personal opinion- If nothing else works out and going through Skoda ASC is the only option, get rid of the car. Any used car dealer will buy it for a decent amount and it will work out cheaper and relatively hassle free than going through all this.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th August 2012 at 19:36.
Old 12th August 2012, 10:37   #382
BHPian

Hi there . My laura 1.9PD driver and passenger side footwell is completely wet . As a result of which fungus is starting to grow on the leather . I have tried various solutions and none have given me results . I tried the company service centre and they are even more hopeless . A few days back i opened the front doors and i find a small black tube protruding out , just out of curiosity i squeezed it and water just starts to flow out . Can this be the problem . Also near the wiper blades section a section of the plastic covering near the edge of the bonnet has been eaten out by rats . Where possibly could the water be stored ?. Also can the sunroof be a cause of the problem ?.
Where do i start ? .
Please help .

Thanks
Reds .
Old 12th August 2012, 11:56   #383
BHPian

The problem is with the sunroof drain (refer my earlier post). The black rubber pipes you see are the drains and sometimes get blocked. Open the sun roof and you will find two drain holes in the front corners. You can check if they are open. Also take a bit of flexible wire, round off the front by making a small loop and then pushing it into the rubber drains (the ones inside the door) about 10-12 inches, this will help removing the blockage.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:24   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
A few days back i opened the front doors and i find a small black tube protruding out , just out of curiosity i squeezed it and water just starts to flow out . Can this be the problem?
This is precisely the problem. Your car's ac drainage pipe has been damaged and is now draining water into the cabin instead of draining it out on the road. Since you say you ve had a rat attack, this could be one of the areas damaged.
It is easy to fix it and in case you want any help from any Skoda service center at Bangalore, send me a PM with your contact details and I will call you. I know a few people there pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Also near the wiper blades section a section of the plastic covering near the edge of the bonnet has been eaten out by rats . Where possibly could the water be stored ?. Also can the sunroof be a cause of the problem ?.
It is best to examine the car in minute detail if you ve had a rat attack since the consequences can be really hazardous. Please ensure that you have it checked in detail at the earliest.

OEM sunroofs do not leak unless they are damaged/tampered with or the car meets with an accident, so in all likelyhood, this is not the cause, though an inspection of the car will reveal more details.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:30   #385
BHPian

Hello, my Skoda Laura Elegance, music system , lights are always on. It drains the battery, how do I turn it off. Even if I switch off everything, and remote lock the car, the lights or rather the backlit green lights of the HU are on..they don't go off. Also the hazard switch also glows faintly. Please help me sort this problem. Thank u
Old 20th August 2012, 23:54   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr
Hello, my Skoda Laura Elegance, music system , lights are always on. It drains the battery, how do I turn it off. Even if I switch off everything, and remote lock the car, the lights or rather the backlit green lights of the HU are on..they don't go off. Also the hazard switch also glows faintly. Please help me sort this problem. Thank u
Removed the music system at home..all by myself. Took it to a electronic repair shop, he checked it up and replaced an ic. Cost Rs: 1500/- problem solved.
drrajanvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 18:59   #387
BHPian

hi

need to top up my oil in the laura diesel called the autobahn help line in mumbai and they suggested a castrol oil with 5W 30 specs. went to the castrol web site the only oil with 5W 30 is magnatech which is not suitable
for diesel engines

any advice on the same.
Old 18th November 2012, 15:16   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc
hi

need to top up my oil in the laura diesel called the autobahn help line in mumbai and they suggested a castrol oil with 5W 30 specs. went to the castrol web site the only oil with 5W 30 is magnatech which is not suitable
for diesel engines

any advice on the same.
Skoda uses, Castrol Magnatec Pro. Try to get that. I have been using Mobil -1 since I picked up my car., huge difference in smoothness and vibes. Switch and try it and please let me know. Tried the fully synthetic, Shell Helix Ultra, but, was not satisfied. I agree, that these oils don't meet the VW specifications, 505.00 but then I am using them and no issues what so ever, have driven 70 k Kms till date all with Mobil 1
Old 18th November 2012, 16:20   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr

Skoda uses, Castrol Magnatec Pro. . I agree, that these oils don't meet the VW specifications, 505.00 but then I am using them and no issues what so ever, have driven 70 k Kms till date all with Mobil 1
Try Mobil delvac 1 instead of Mobil 1.

It's a better oil for diesels. You'll be amazed by the smoothness of the oil.

IMHO the castrol magnatec oil that VW/skoda uses is semi- synthetic one and doesn't meet 507.00 grade required. Try google for more info.

If your car is under warranty get a oil can from the service centre to be on a safer side.
Old 18th November 2012, 18:17   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
IMHO the castrol magnatec oil that VW/skoda uses is semi- synthetic one and doesn't meet 507.00 grade required.
The Castrol Magnatec Professional OE oil used by Skoda ASC's is in fact Fully Synthetic Oil and not semi-synthetic and meets 502 00 and 505 01 standards. Also find enclosed recommended engine oils from Skoda -

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-castrol-magnatec-professional-5w40-oe-oil.jpg

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-superb-engine-oil.jpg

Castrol Professional Powerflow SLX meets 504 00 and 507 00 standards and is also available at the ASC's on demand but is a 5W30 grade oil.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-superb-1st-checkup-17_09_2012-oe-oil1.jpg

For Indian conditions 5W40 is a more suitable oil.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th November 2012 at 18:26.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed