Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2016, 12:17   #901
BANNED

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Hi,
Extensive googling reveals that both problems listed in my post above are not uncommon to the Laura (Octavia II) but arrive much later on the odo.
Apparently, the droning noise is often from the tyres due to 'sawtoothing';
the loss of power could be leaky hoses, faulty EGR valve, turbocharger itself etc.
Looks like I am headed for the cleaners.
Any chance that the brains trust in this forum can give me 'gyaan' on the way ahead !
I am keen the extend the life of the Laura by at least two years if it can be done at a reasonable cost. Effort and time are not constraints. Skoda A$$ is!
Old 28th January 2016, 15:20   #902
BANNED

I heard from one my mate that Skoda has started notifying customers on recall, has anyone got the notification.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:45   #903
BHPian

Upgraded my plain jane steering to a multi function flat bottom one with paddle shift. For users with factory steering without multifunction, please note that you would need to get the highline steering ring as well. The paddles work flawlessly and the steering is a joy to use. The steering and the ring were imported by me directly from cars-equipment.com and was substantially cheaper than what is offered in India.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454667252.728043.jpg

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 5th February 2016 at 15:46.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 09:30   #904
BHPian

Followed the same path as Rohan! For me as the car was l&k the steering was a plug and play with no need for additional slip ring. To keep it matching with interior I got the silver stitch. Rohan had red interiors so he ordered the sexy red stitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-1454817443799.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-1454817538259.jpg  

newtonMeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 13:44   #905
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Laura Technical guides/Problems/solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Followed the same path as Rohan! For me as the car was l&k the steering was a plug and play with no need for additional slip ring. To keep it matching with interior I got the silver stitch. Rohan had red interiors so he ordered the sexy red stitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The steering and the ring were imported by me directly from cars-equipment.com and was substantially cheaper than what is offered in India.

Rohan

Newtonmeter did you also get it from cars-equipment? You both have a VRS wheel since only VRS wheels come with colored stitching. A regular supersports steering comes with standard black stitching like in the Polo or Jetta at this point. I don't see the VRS logos on the steering in the bottom third spoke.

I do doubt the authenticity of the wheel, did you guys get a airbag error after you installed the wheel? Is the part number correct? Do check as this could be a potential safety issue.
Old 9th February 2016, 15:27   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Newtonmeter did you also get it from cars-equipment? You both have a VRS wheel since only VRS wheels come with colored stitching. A regular supersports steering comes with standard black stitching like in the Polo or Jetta at this point. I don't see the VRS logos on the steering in the bottom third spoke.

I do doubt the authenticity of the wheel, did you guys get a airbag error after you installed the wheel? Is the part number correct? Do check as this could be a potential safety issue.
Hi Adi. Both of us picked it together from cars-equipment.

The part number is 5J0419091AQ. Both of us did not get any error after installation. Did the coding using the original Rosstech cable (15.7) and it showed no error and auto detected the steering wheel.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 12:44   #907
BHPian

These are authentic steering for sure. Have checked the part in part base and also vcds. The airbag unit was also compared with my factory fitted airbag and its same. The finish is top notch and has to be original. These are not Chinese the vrs branding is a simple wedge which is a sperate part number.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-1455347650191.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-1455347662451.jpg  

Old 18th February 2016, 19:27   #908
BHPian

I also do have the DSG Elegance but without Maxidot and no steering control. So I would need to get a steering control ring too. What is the exact part number that i need to get for that control unit? Mine currently fitted is 5K0 953 569. Also i want to get cruise control working so do i buy just an additional left stalk or the whole stalk set? And would it fit with the steering control MF ring?
What is the custom duty that you guys paid on these things?
Old 1st March 2016, 13:36   #909
BANNED

I had mentioned several issues with my Laura 1.9 tdi in January.
I used a bit of tech knowledge and lots of persistence and have (at least partially) resolved the droning noise and the low power issues.
The droning was a faulty bearing coupled with one imbalanced and poorly aligned tyre. All air hoses were checked thoroughly and tightened as required. The front brake rotors were renewed (TNG from amazon), rear rotors skimmed and new pads and engine scan run.
The engine responds in an entirely better way and the drive feel is better. New fuel and air filters will help too.

Next will be the AT DSG oil with filter change and the timing belt with tensioners and water pump.
Add an oil change with new filters for oil, fuel and air and we are looking at 60 K +. Gulp !
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:36   #910
BHPian

Can anyone please help me on how to adjust the headlight beam on 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT? It has auto adjusting headlights but there is a screw through which the default beam can be adjusted.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:59   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Can anyone please help me on how to adjust the headlight beam on 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT? It has auto adjusting headlights but there is a screw through which the default beam can be adjusted.
Yes there are two Allen socket screws on each beam which adjust the beams. One screw adjusts the beam up/ down and one which adjusts the beam inside/ outside. What I suggest is Park the car in from on a wall around 8 ft away and then adjust the beams. You will see the beam moving accordingly. Set them at a level that you find suitable. I have done the same in my Yeti as well as Laura.
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:27   #912
BANNED

Can the owners of Laura 1.9 PD Tdi list out the spare parts for the car that they have sourced locally ( non Skoda A$$).
It would help the other owners tremendously in avoiding being scammed by the A$$.

Laura owners need to stick together in these dark days;
The Laura feels well put together but for a few (deliberately) fragile components like the timing belt, wheel bearings, a turbo (made of egg shells) and egr.

I have sourced front brake rotors @5900 from TNG through amazon. Rear brake pads from Bosch @ 1500.
Mapco is a major player in Skoda, VAG parts but only available through amazon etc who are unable to get good images and tech specs from the seller.

Let us work on this guys and we could meet at the tenth B'day meet of my Laura in Jul 17.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:01   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes there are two Allen socket screws on each beam which adjust the beams. One screw adjusts the beam up/ down and one which adjusts the beam inside/ outside. What I suggest is Park the car in from on a wall around 8 ft away and then adjust the beams. You will see the beam moving accordingly. Set them at a level that you find suitable. I have done the same in my Yeti as well as Laura.
Thanks. It would be really helpful if you could post an image of the screws.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:26   #914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Is the beam alignment off? Could you post a pic of the dipped beam when the car is parked say 5 m from a wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
What you are referring to is for the headlamps with halogen projectors. L&K models have the HID bulbs with the auto leveling system (AFS). The projector movement is controlled by a servo motor using a swiveling axle and arm.
Old 21st March 2016, 06:02   #915
BHPian

So after 3.5 years my battery died and had to be replaced 2 weeks back. Got it replaced at Giriraj motors Gurgaon. Since then been facing this - when I turn off my car and take the key out. The Windows wont go up and down. Previously it did for a few minutes and the same was listed in the thread - hidden features in your car. I know there should have been an activation procedure. Anyone got info in this?

Regarding the whole experience of changing the battery - I called the dealer and was told that if I get it changed from outside my warranty will lapse. I still have 6 months of warranty left and did not want to gamble on that. The same was confirmed by Skoda India when I called on their toll free. The car would not start so I called for home installation. Guess what the replacement battery also did not work. We had to push start the car and drive it back to the dealer and then have another battery installed. Took 4 hrs of my day for a simple 10 minute job. Total damages - 8k. That too for an exide which is made in Spain and only had a warranty of 2 years.

Most Viewed