Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 15:40   #961
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Is your battery healthy. If it is more than 3 years old, get the battery changed as a weak battery tends to throw up many errors like ABS sensor, Steering angle errors etc.To eliminate this possibility, it is best to get your battery changed - this is the simplest and cheapest solution which may work! You can get the Exide Din65LH battery which is available for an exchange price of 4600 (In Gurgaon, but may be around 5K in Mumbai due to taxes). These warning signs are the first tell tale for a bad battery.
Once the battery is changed, clear all the DTC (Diagnostic codes) with your VCDS and then see if they come back. If the ABS light still comes back, it may require a sensor change.
The GearBox can also behave erratically if it doesn't get the right voltages and sensor signals.
Keep your fingers crossed and hope that it is a battery problem!
Thank you! I never thought in that direction, however probably makes sense as an overnight draw might render the battery voltage insufficient in the morning and runs okay throughout the day. Yes its more than 3 year old battery. I will change the battery and sincerely hope its just that and / or a sensor change.

Which batteries are available as a direct fit? Thinking of Batterybhai, had a good experience with them.

Last edited by Zubin21 : 21st September 2016 at 16:01. Reason: Additional query related to reply
Old 21st September 2016, 16:19   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Thank you! I never thought in that direction, however probably makes sense as an overnight draw might render the battery voltage insufficient in the morning and runs okay throughout the day. Yes its more than 3 year old battery. I will change the battery and sincerely hope its just that and / or a sensor change.

Which batteries are available as a direct fit? Thinking of Batterybhai, had a good experience with them.
(I have two Skoda's a Yeti and A Laura and know how to find the Gremlins!)

Get Exide Mileage Red Din65LH (that is the same one I got for my Laura recently). Avoid buying it online, as Battery being very heavy, you can get cheaper locally at Battery shops. The difference which I got in a local shop vs online was almost 800 Rupees (cheaper at a shop for the same battery).
Incidentally, Skoda is also giving Exide batteries as OE now (65AH) but they charge 8500 per battery.
The 65AH battery is slightly bigger than the 60AH original battery and the Battery cover will not fit.
In the Laura you can use batteries ranging from 60AH till 74AH (they will fit in the battery base). As per the DIN standards, they are bottom fixed and can still be mounted fine with different AH range from 60-74AH as the battery Width is same (the Length and Height vary).

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st September 2016 at 16:23.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 18:20   #963
BHPian

If it is a battery undervolt you will also get this error stating " under voltage" in bcm and central electrical module
Old 21st September 2016, 19:09   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
If it is a battery undervolt you will also get this error stating " under voltage" in bcm and central electrical module
I don't think i saw the "under voltage" term anywhere. However will have to go through the log again thoroughly. So in case if its not there, does that imply that the battery is fine and its just the sensor?
Old 21st September 2016, 20:17   #965
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think i saw the "under voltage" term anywhere. However will have to go through the log again thoroughly. So in case if its not there, does that imply that the battery is fine and its just the sensor?
Paste the vcds log here . Let me see
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:55   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Paste the vcds log here . Let me see
Log pasted. Bulb errors are due to led ones.
Attached Files
File Type: docx VCDS Log.docx (14.5 KB, 851 views)
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:34   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing your Fault Log, a few observations:

1) Rear Right ABS sensor/ Wiring contacts faulty (corrosion happens on the contacts and can cause this) - get the sensor contacts cleaned to verify.

2) Possible fault in your ABS controller module - This is also leading to erratic behaviour with your gearbox. In the Gearbox scan it is commenting - check DTCs codes from ABS controller.
As the Fault Priority is currently 0 for this fault (not defined by Manufacturer) it is possible that it is only a loose signal cable. The Fault frequency is 255 which means that it is a frequent fault.
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-faultpriority.jpg

I will still suggest you to get the battery changed first and then clear your DTCs and then do an updated scan. In case the faults still pop up again, I would say that your ABS controller module and/or your ABS sensor is faulty. But before changing any of them, get all their contacts cleaned and tested. ABS control module can be quite expensive.. If you car is just out of extended warranty, try with Skoda directly to change it under goodwill.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:10   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

1) Rear Right ABS sensor/ Wiring contacts faulty (corrosion happens on the contacts and can cause this) - get the sensor contacts cleaned to verify.

2) Possible fault in your ABS controller module - This is also leading to erratic behaviour with your gearbox. In the Gearbox scan it is commenting - check DTCs codes from ABS controller.
As the Fault Priority is currently 0 for this fault (not defined by Manufacturer) it is possible that it is only a loose signal cable. The Fault frequency is 255 which means that it is a frequent fault.
Attachment 1557365

I will still suggest you to get the battery changed first and then clear your DTCs and then do an updated scan. In case the faults still pop up again, I would say that your ABS controller module and/or your ABS sensor is faulty. But before changing any of them, get all their contacts cleaned and tested. ABS control module can be quite expensive.. If you car is just out of extended warranty, try with Skoda directly to change it under goodwill.
i am pretty sure the error is linked to ABS and not battery. So yes check contacts/wiring as suggested by Behemoth. You can also swap left wheel and right wheel sensor just to isolate the fault with sensor or wiring.

if you still wanna go ahead with battery change, you can do a check with any of your friends battery or similar rating before buying a new one.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:10   #969
BHPian

Quote:
i am pretty sure the error is linked to ABS and not battery. So yes check contacts/wiring as suggested by Behemoth. You can also swap left wheel and right wheel sensor just to isolate the fault with sensor or wiring.
If I am not mistaken, the rear right and rear left wheel speeds sensors have different part numbers and they are not interchangeable.
Quote:
if you still wanna go ahead with battery change, you can do a check with any of your friends battery or similar rating before buying a new one.
I would also suggest to check with the battery of another car before purchasing a new one.

If it turns out that only the ABS wheel speed sensor is at fault (I doubt if the ABS module itself has any issue based on the log), and if you have lost it to corrosion, I suggest you choose to replace all 4 sensors. In my experience, one or more of the other wheel speed sensors are also likely to fail in such cases. At least till last month, Skoda was running a 70% discount if you were to purchase a set of 4 wheel speed sensors (so you get four sensors for around Rs.4000), not sure if the offer is still running.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:34   #970
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1557365

Thanks! I hope its just the sensor.

Quote:

Thanks! Even i suspect something with the ABS only as my battery voltages were ok when i had checked recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
If I am not mistaken, the rear right and rear left wheel speeds sensors have different part numbers and they are not interchangeable.

I would also suggest to check with the battery of another car before purchasing a new one.

If it turns out that only the ABS wheel speed sensor is at fault (I doubt if the ABS module itself has any issue based on the log), and if you have lost it to corrosion, I suggest you choose to replace all 4 sensors. In my experience, one or more of the other wheel speed sensors are also likely to fail in such cases. At least till last month, Skoda was running a 70% discount if you were to purchase a set of 4 wheel speed sensors (so you get four sensors for around Rs.4000), not sure if the offer is still running.
Yeah i had asked ASS and they too quoted somewhere around 4k for all the 4 sensor parts, but wait.. this is Skoda; total including labor charges and all other things that they would add into it came to 11k - 12k..
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:57   #971
BHPian

Laura ABS wheel speed sensor replacement labour rate

Quote:
Yeah i had asked ASS and they too quoted somewhere around 4k for all the 4 sensor parts, but wait.. this is Skoda; total including labor charges and all other things that they would add into it came to 11k - 12k..
Ask them to use the right labour codes for replacement of wheel speed sensors (not some general 'machining' codes). If they do so, all four wheel speed sensor replacement will cost at max Rs.2000 as labour charges (possibly lesser too).

For your ready reference, I am attaching a screenshot of the bill in which one of the wheel speed sensors of our Laura was replaced under extended warranty. Since it is a warranty claim, you can notice that dealer has used the correct labour code for replacement of wheel speed sensor. The amount of time or 'TU' is 60 units (which corresponds to Rs.270 before taxes here in Calicut, would be higher for metros and tier 2 cities) for a single wheel speed sensor replacement. Now add taxes to that, higher labour rates based city tier levels, and even extra percentages owing to possible differences in paid vs warranty labour rates, replacing all four sensors shouldn't cost more than Rs.2000 at the max if the dealer uses the right codes.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-laura-abs-wheel-speed-sensor-replacement-rate.jpg
Old 22nd September 2016, 17:28   #972
BHPian

Re: Laura ABS wheel speed sensor replacement labour rate

Quote:
Ask them to use the right labour codes for replacement of wheel speed sensors (not some general 'machining' codes). If they do so, all four wheel speed sensor replacement will cost at max Rs.2000 as labour charges (possibly lesser too).

For your ready reference, I am attaching a screenshot of the bill in which one of the wheel speed sensors of our Laura was replaced under extended warranty. Since it is a warranty claim, you can notice that dealer has used the correct labour code for replacement of wheel speed sensor. The amount of time or 'TU' is 60 units (which corresponds to Rs.270 before taxes here in Calicut, would be higher for metros and tier 2 cities) for a single wheel speed sensor replacement. Now add taxes to that, higher labour rates based city tier levels, and even extra percentages owing to possible differences in paid vs warranty labour rates, replacing all four sensors shouldn't cost more than Rs.2000 at the max if the dealer uses the right codes.

Attachment 1557671
Well i just confirmed again, so the part charges for all 4 are correct at ~4.5K plus as you mentioned; labor charges would be ~2K. However the SA says that all the 4 hubs need to be cleaned (mandatory) and each one costing 1k.. so there you have your breakup.

Last edited by Zubin21 : 22nd September 2016 at 17:29. Reason: Grammar
Old 22nd September 2016, 17:34   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Well i just confirmed again, so the part charges for all 4 are correct at ~4.5K plus as you mentioned; labor charges would be ~2K. However the SA says that all the 4 hubs need to be cleaned (mandatory) and each one costing 1k.. so there you have your breakup.
A wheel speed sensor replacement doesn't require any kind of hub cleaning and neither is it mandatory. The SA / dealer is simply trying to fleece you. If you escalate (feel free to use the screenshot of my bill), I am sure they won't have any answers.
Old 22nd September 2016, 20:34   #974
BHPian

Quote:
A wheel speed sensor replacement doesn't require any kind of hub cleaning and neither is it mandatory. The SA / dealer is simply trying to fleece you. If you escalate (feel free to use the screenshot of my bill), I am sure they won't have any answers.
Probably. However they dont have any part right now (Autobahn Kurla) so cant do much. The SA excitedly, seeing the log, also added his additional list.. ABS pump (1.2lac) + Clutch pack (40K) + Sensors (11K).

Looking at the prices, I am thinking, i might dis-assemble the car and sell the good parts out. Might recover more than selling the whole car itself!
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:25   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Probably. However they dont have any part right now (Autobahn Kurla) so cant do much. The SA excitedly, seeing the log, also added his additional list.. ABS pump (1.2lac) + Clutch pack (40K) + Sensors (11K).

Looking at the prices, I am thinking, i might dis-assemble the car and sell the good parts out. Might recover more than selling the whole car itself!
Ouch that is crazy expensive! Start with the battery first and all the sensor and module contacts and fuses. Then rescan clear the DTCs, and if the report still stays the same, try aftermarket importers for the same components. Typically they can get the same OE part for less than 40% of the price. I know some in Delhi and can give you the number if you need. I am sure there would be some good importers in Mumbai too. To find out the part number and options, you can install an app called Mister Auto which is a spare part sourcing app or you can check on www.micksgarage.com
You can also read this thread on briskoda : http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/190784-how-to-repair-espabs-fault-with-vag-repair-kit/
But even if you get the part, it may be difficult to do!

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd September 2016 at 21:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks