Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 19:32   #1051
BHPian

EA888 1.8TSI - 2nd gen - Laura / Superb - Timing chain tensioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
WHat are the signs that indicate belt tensioner is going to fail? Mine has done 50000km and 7.5 years old. I will like to keep a close watch on any symptoms you will suggest. The service center is useless. Their attitude is "if it hasn't failed, why are you asking" types!
To be honest, most of the cases of timing chain tensioner failures happens without any warning, as you would have read in the briskoda thread discussing the same. In India, the failure rates are not known or minimal simply cause of the lesser number of TSIs sold here. Also it is worth pointing out that VW/Skoda never officially issued any recalls for timing chain tensioner failures. For the cases abroad, the failures were either within warranty period or supported under goodwill. Hence also the reason why the Skoda ASC is unaware of such a problem.

In our car, I had felt a small abnormality in the engine note. A slight metallic scratching noise, which was audible inside the cabin only if the AC blower & sound system was switched off. I pointed it out to the ASC, initially during the EW period itself, but they were not able to diagnose it properly. They suspected a possible rattle of oil pump drive chain, but was not sure and kind of dismissive of the problem.

At a later point of time, vehicle was taken to the workshop for an abnormal sound from the auxillary belts (turned out to be only due to some water that fell on the aux-belt). I asked the source of the other sound to be checked thoroughly. It was found that timing chain tensioner had partly lost it intended tensioning capability, and resulted a minor slack in the timing chain. The timing was not affected, but the chain tension was. This caused the timing chain to rub against the outer timing cover (a thin aluminium plate) and was causing the abnormal engine note. No errors recorded in the diagnostic systems. So I would consider ourselves quite lucky to have spotted this early. The failure of the same tensioner would have gone un-noticed if I simply had an exhaust mod, the difference in engine note was that vague. In fact it missed the ears of my father and brother who drives the car regularly. But since I get to drive the car only after every odd 4 months, I notice such changes quickly, which might have been otherwise gradual for daily users.

I am posting the service bills for the parts that were changed. Since for detailed inspection, they virtually had to take the engine out of the car, I asked for replacement of PCV system also to the latest revision. Skoda initially approved for only Rs.10k as goodwill. Later after escalation and support from the ASC, a net goodwill support of approx Rs.33k was provided on the total bill. In our car, timing chain+tensioner, oil pump drive chain+tensioner, and timing chain cover was replaced with their latest iterations, and supported under goodwill. Additionally I asked for the PCV system and slightly faulty vaccum acutators also to be replaced, costs of the same were borne by us.

Below was the initial estimate of repairs that was provided by the ASC. Highlighted in red rectangle are those part and labour components which were later supported under goodwill. The remaining cost was borne by us.
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-laura-1.8tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-failure-repair-estimate.jpg

The part numbers are for the latest revisions of the respective parts (where applicable). Timing chain tensioner, timing chain and timing chain cover are the critical items I would consider replacing for peace of mind in the 1.8TSI. The cost of the parts plus labour would come around Rs. 25k. Also worth noting that if the Skoda ASC used standard labour codes, the actual labour charges for a timing chain+tensioner replacement is quite cheap.

And below is the schematics of the complex multi chain arrangement of a 1.8TSI engine. Three sets of chains, respective tensioners, guide rails and more. German things

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-ea888-tsi-various-chain-drives.jpg

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-ea888-1.8tsi-chain-drives.jpg
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 16:45   #1052
BHPian

Re: General problems with 1.8 TSI (EA888 Gen 2) - Things to look out for

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Between Laura and Superb, it is your choice. Laura is the better drivers' car. Superb is also quite good and better than its peers from the segment of the time, but the long wheelbase plays spoilsport. Otherwise it is a much more practical, comfortable, premium and overall better rounded car.

I am almost finalized on the Laura. However the seller does not have the owner's user manual (he is the 2nd owner). Can it be purchased from the Skoda ASC? I did see some manuals in the http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/owners-manuals, but most of them re-direct to the worldwide manual, not the India specific one.
Old 20th May 2017, 18:43   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I am almost finalized on the Laura. However the seller does not have the owner's user manual (he is the 2nd owner). Can it be purchased from the Skoda ASC? I did see some manuals in the http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/owners-manuals, but most of them re-direct to the worldwide manual, not the India specific one.
There isn't anything specific about the owner's manual that came with cars in India. Only that 'Octavia' was referred as 'Laura', otherwise identical to the owner's documentation provided to european markets (and what is available online). The car is pretty much the same as what is sold in Europe, except for some deleted standard features.Don't bother getting the documentation from ASC (if at all the same is orderable).
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:03   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Thanks Avinash for the timing chain stuff. No warning signs is a problem...my car is running absolutely fine and so far I have followed the golden rule "Don't fix it if it ain't broken!" :-)
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:15   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
There isn't anything specific about the owner's manual that came with cars in India. Only that 'Octavia' was referred as 'Laura', otherwise identical to the owner's documentation provided to european markets (and what is available online). The car is pretty much the same as what is sold in Europe, except for some deleted standard features.Don't bother getting the documentation from ASC (if at all the same is orderable).
Finally, I have taken delivery of the Laura from the seller last night (amid torrential rains, in Bangalore). Haven't had a chance for a decent day-time drive yet. Hope I don't get to experience the infamous Skoda ASC.

The seller had only one key. So I am planning to replace the entire lock set. The SA said it would cost in the 10K range (it was > 30K in the recent past).

Thanks Avinash for your responses.
vinodh_eee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:44   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Finally, I have taken delivery of the Laura from the seller last night (amid torrential rains, in Bangalore). Haven't had a chance for a decent day-time drive yet. Hope I don't get to experience the infamous Skoda ASC.
Congrats from a fellow Laura tsi owner, did u get petrol or diesel?
How many kms has it done & how much did you pay?
Mine is at 30K kms & doing fine, love the trubo-kick it gives!
Old 24th May 2017, 14:04   #1057
BHPian

Hello,

I happened to check the oil level on my Skoda Superb. I am puzzled by what I found and feel it is overfilled. The car was serviced at 51,000 km and she is at 58,000 km. I found the oil at similar levels prior to service and informed them about the same. Is it a regular practice to fill oil much above the max point?

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_6206.jpg
Old 25th May 2017, 11:22   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hello,

I happened to check the oil level on my Skoda Superb. I am puzzled by what I found and feel it is overfilled. The car was serviced at 51,000 km and she is at 58,000 km. I found the oil at similar levels prior to service and informed them about the same. Is it a regular practice to fill oil much above the max point?

Attachment 1641836
Just to reconfirm, had you wiped the dipstick first, re-inserted it and checked the markings again? I am assuming other criteria like vehicle on a level ground, oil reaching operating temperature etc has been correctly followed.

It is a Superb 2.0TDI right?
Old 25th May 2017, 12:08   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Just to reconfirm, had you wiped the dipstick first, re-inserted it and checked the markings again? I am assuming other criteria like vehicle on a level ground, oil reaching operating temperature etc has been correctly followed.

It is a Superb 2.0TDI right?
Yes, I had wiped the dipstick properly and reinserted it. The vehicle was on a level ground. I repeated the procedure twice under cold condition. Also checked the level after the engine reached its operating temperature and waited for 10 minutes for the oil to settle down. The result was pretty much the same. It is a 2.0 TDi.

I shared the picture with the service advisor and gave him a piece of my mind. He requested for a joint inspection. I am going to be firm on my demand for a written letter from the ASS that the oil was overfilled and they are going to be responsible for any consequential damage. I am planning to take it up with Skoda India as well. Please advise.

Last edited by csr9 : 25th May 2017 at 12:10.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:48   #1060
BHPian

Quote:

I shared the picture with the service advisor and gave him a piece of my mind. He requested for a joint inspection. I am going to be firm on my demand for a written letter from the ASS that the oil was overfilled and they are going to be responsible for any consequential damage. I am planning to take it up with Skoda India as well. Please advise.
In the picture you had shared I am assuming the red/pink line corresponds to the level where the oil level was observed at. In the picture below, I have also marked the max oil level recommended. To be honest, it is only marginally above the recommended levels and at the max you would have to drain odd 100ml only. Unlikely that it would cause any problem.
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_6206.jpg
Old 25th May 2017, 14:07   #1061
BANNED

Quote:
To be honest, it is only marginally above the recommended levels and at the max you would have to drain odd 100ml only. Unlikely that it would cause any problem.
You are right Avinash, the recommended Vs filled difference is negligible and hence should not cause any issues at all.

However, the customer is right in getting this in writing from the dealer/Skoda to mitigate risks.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:08   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, it is only marginally above the recommended levels and at the max you would have to drain odd 100ml only. Unlikely that it would cause any problem.
Attachment 1642081
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You are right Avinash, the recommended Vs filled difference is negligible and hence should not cause any issues at all.

However, the customer is right in getting this in writing from the dealer/Skoda to mitigate risks.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I was just worried as this is the second occurrence. Just don't understand why they do it. After running for 7000 km post oil change, assuming some amount of oil consumption, I feel oil level was definitely higher than the red mark post oil change. Maybe it's just better to keep an eye on the oil level immediately after service to avoid such incidents.

Last edited by csr9 : 25th May 2017 at 15:13.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:11   #1063
BANNED

Quote:
After running for 7000 km post oil change, assuming some amount of oil consumption, I feel oil level was definitely higher than the red mark post oil change.
Gearboxes don't consume oil, only engines do, for some brands.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:17   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Gearboxes don't consume oil, only engines do, for some brands.
I agree with you. I was referring to engines only.
Old 9th June 2017, 10:19   #1065
BHPian

Recently i got the keys and the lock barrels replaced for my Laura. The total cost including two remote keys, ignition cylinder and driver door barrel came to 7.5K. It used to be 30K an year ago, but for some reason it is reduced now clap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks