Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th December 2017, 00:40   #1126
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Great to know that the installation is quite simple and doesn't involve any cabling. The rubber caps on the headlight though must have been cut and a grommet installed to route the cables through it though?
Also with this setup how do you find the beam pattern and overall light level. As it is only for low beam is it worthwhile getting the upgrade in your opinion?
It made a world of difference once I moved to HIDs from the ineffective halogens. First in terms of spread, intensity and then in terms of cool factor due to the 4300K colour temperature.

Yes, the rubber caps had to be cut to route the cables and I guess I lost one of them too later :-( I was not aware of the slim ballasts when I got mine installed.

Even if it is for low beam I suggest it is worth the upgrade (considering the lack of upgrade options from the stock halogens).
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 14:01   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
It made a world of difference once I moved to HIDs from the ineffective halogens. First in terms of spread, intensity and then in terms of cool factor due to the 4300K colour temperature.
From what I recall, projector lenses for Halogen lights are supposed to be different from those used for HID's. Is this the case with Laura also, as the higher models (diesel) came with HID's? If the lenses are the same then I don't think there is any issue in upgrading to HID's and it should be fairly easy task.
Whilst discussing this with the Skoda ASS, they were of the opinion that replacing the stock halogens with HID's will give errors and might also lead to BCM conking off.
The stock halogens are just about ok in the city but on the highway I am forced to dive with the high beam at all times. I have been longing to upgrade the headlamps but the BCM module is worrying me.
Is there any particular brand that I should buy because I have seen many Chinese brands being sold at Milan Subway in Mumbai & they cost much less and also come with 1 year warranty.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 03:23   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
From what I recall, projector lenses for Halogen lights are supposed to be different from those used for HID's. Is this the case with Laura also, as the higher models (diesel) came with HID's? If the lenses are the same then I don't think there is any issue in upgrading to HID's and it should be fairly easy task.
Honestly speaking I am not aware the lens is different for halogen v/s HID in the Laura. It is difficult to believe Skoda will have different lenses for halogen v/s HIDs given the cost factor involved to have different headlight assemblies for each variant.

Quote:

Whilst discussing this with the Skoda ASS, they were of the opinion that replacing the stock halogens with HID's will give errors and might also lead to BCM conking off.
This might be true if you are going to fix HID directly without the CANBUS adaptor. However there is no error if you fit HIDs wit CANBUS adaptors like the one from OSRAM

Quote:
Is there any particular brand that I should buy because I have seen many Chinese brands being sold at Milan Subway in Mumbai & they cost much less and also come with 1 year warranty.
I was offered unknown Chinese brands as well that had more power and a little cheaper than the OSRAMS. I went with the safe option of installing a known brand such as OSRAM.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote