Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 07:48   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
I usually use normal Diesel. Last time I went to refuel at IOC, only XtraMile premium Diesel was available. Decided to try it out. With normal Diesel, I was getting 19.47 to a litre. Let's see how XtraMile fares.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
vista manual recommends normal diesel without any additives.
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
vista manual recommends normal diesel without any additives.
I agree, but as I said before, normal Diesel wasn't available. I had a trip to make and XtraMile was the only option. This time, however, I have refuelled with normal Diesel.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:53   #48
BHPian

Was there any difference in Mileage/Smoothness extra?
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
I agree, but as I said before, normal Diesel wasn't available. I had a trip to make and XtraMile was the only option. This time, however, I have refuelled with normal Diesel.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
As per my experience normal diesel gives better FE then Xtramile!
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Was there any difference in Mileage/Smoothness extra?
Can't say for sure, but in the last 500kms or so, the car has become a lot smoother. I guess it is got to do with the engine running in rather than the fuel itself. Although, I did feel that the engine is smoother but with less grunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
As per my experience normal diesel gives better FE then Xtramile!
With normal Diesel, I got 19.47 on a 250 km highway run. Car Odo was in the 800s. With XtraMile, I got 19.25 in city use with a lot of unnecessary idling here and there. Car Odo was in the 1200s. 50% AC usage on both. Don't know if it is the fuel or the car getting run in.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i can imagine how u drive!!!! but how do u rip the car in peak hour traffic?
it is not ripping ... that will give such economy.

i have an Palio SDX and i get the same range (12-13 kmpl) where better drivers get 15 kmpl on the same car.

Easiest way to get such low milage is not to rip....It is to lug the engine

Keep your RPM low almost above idling and change gear before 1500 rpm and watch your mileage plummet.

And yes second gear while clutching and braking at the same time in bumper to bumper traffic helps lower the milage like nothing else; you can lose litres of fuel in just a few km.

blue_pulsar no offence meant. This is my geniune experience ask Jazzy or Mr Babu at green tracks bangalore.

i found your gear ratios research on Swift and Palio changed my driving style keeping it in mind . i have now done 380 km with just over half tank on my car now. Hoping to get 15 kmpl but will wait until the usual time to fill up-want to keep all factor the same when i compare FE with both driving styles.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post

i have an Palio SDX and i get the same range (12-13 kmpl) where better drivers get 15 kmpl on the same car.

Easiest way to get such low milage is not to rip....It is to lug the engine

Keep your RPM low almost above idling and change gear before 1500 rpm and watch your mileage plummet.

And yes second gear while clutching and braking at the same time in bumper to bumper traffic helps lower the milage like nothing else; you can lose litres of fuel in just a few km.

blue_pulsar no offence meant. This is my geniune experience ask Jazzy or Mr Babu at green tracks bangalore.

i found your gear ratios research on Swift and Palio changed my driving style keeping it in mind . i have now done 380 km with just over half tank on my car now. Hoping to get 15 kmpl but will wait until the usual time to fill up-want to keep all factor the same when i compare FE with both driving styles.
You are so right! The points you mentioned actually drop the FE in a Diesel car. On my MJD, initially, I was a little apprehensive about revving her to 2k and had her lugging. Thankfully, I've gotten over the petrol mentality of not revving and now shift at 2 - 2.2k on every gear. Also, depressing the accelerator so much after driving a petrol car takes time to get used to. No taking off on the second gear either. FE has increased considerably now @ 19.xx in city with AC.

OT: It feels pathetic to go back to my petrol Zen now. I end up over-revving her!
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, true. As I have mentioned in my earlier post, I was able to achieve a max of 15.9 with sensible and patient driving. Its only that I don't have patience all the time to drive slow and keep rpms below 2k.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 23rd October 2008 at 00:35.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i found your gear ratios research on Swift and Palio changed my driving style keeping it in mind .
Would like to hear more about your research.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:33   #55
BHPian

normally i do get 15-17 with my Swift VDi but now a days im driving in range of 60-90 with average acceleration. Getting 19-20 kmpl
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:54   #56
BHPian

MJD vs DDIS vs QuadraJet - On the Road F.E Test. Reply to Thread

My Mutijet diesel palio gives me a constant average of 20 in city with ac & 22.5 with ac at long run. The car has covered about 12500 kms & third service was performed at 11000 kms I normally get my car serviced before time & at least 1000 kms before than recommended due to indian driving condition.I beg to differ to those post which say that Swift would give maximum & Palio minimum average as latest engine is in Swift. Technically speaking there is no difference between all three engines of Swift, Palio & Vista. There can be a minor increase in average due to build of the car but gross weight of Palio & Swift is same.
I would request the Users of Swift to give visibility on the driving techniques who says that Swift is gibing average of above 25 with ac.I drive the car on express way & I normally drive below 2500 rpm & at a constant speed of 70-78 & 81 -84 . I feel that this is best speed to take good average. My post also can in HT for my lancer as it also gives very good average.
Thanks & Regards
Anupam Shukla
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Would like to hear more about your research.
nothing by way of research. Just learning how to drive.

Trying to answer a few questions

1. What is lugging?

2. how do i identify it? I know the lugging depends on environment conditions, there is no fixed rpm your engine will lug at. So tacho can only guide you actually need to feel your engine. (Have a couple of answers for this.)

3. What is more economical.. using the turbo charger on 4th or same speed on 5th without turbocharger (5th has overdrive meaning for each 0.8 rotation of the engine the wheel goes 1 rotation)?

Palio manual also says above 60 kmph aerodynamic force decrease economy but then above 60 also means (5th gear or 4th gear i.e, turbocharger or overdrive both lead to economy).

5. So what is the break even?
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:33   #58
BHPian

indica vista qjd 100% ac on mixed city and highway driving(dont know if you can call mangalore udupi a highway) first tankfull with normal diesel i got a fe of 15.5 kpl
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please correct me if I am wrong but I want to try and summarise what has been written on this thread in the past few pages:

For Multijet Engines:

City driving, heavy traffic, (2nd, 3rd, 4th gear mostly) 15-17.5 kmpl
City, light traffic, higher speeds (4th/5th gear mostly) 16-20 kmpl
Highways/Expressways /Long Runs (5th gear mostly) 18-25 kmpl

This is a general indication of what to expect while buying these cars. Of course, there could be a difference in figures as some people like Jazzy2cool claim 20 kmpl in the city and others are even getting 12 kmpl!! Of course, a large no of Palios and almost all Vistas being discussed here have not been run-in yet!

Last edited by architect : 24th October 2008 at 00:00.
Old 24th October 2008, 09:12   #60
BHPian

after the first service i filled the tank with the usual IOC normal diesel and been observing the fuel guage regularly.

I had to travel a little above 100Kms for the needle to start moving away from the max fuel point. now the trip meter reads 150km plus and the needle is near the first notch below the max point.

i have to wait a few more days to fill the tank again in order to calculate the FE now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks