Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 21:14   #1
BHPian

How to tune M1000 carb?

I have a Maruti 1000 and since few months I don't see water coming out of exhaust. Earlier lots of water used to come from it and mechanic said it means car will give good mileage. Does the carb need adjustment? Can you guys tell me how it’s done? What I tried till now is adjusting screws in carb (one metal screw and other with plastic cap) but no success.
Old 11th October 2008, 02:17   #2
BHPian

go through this A PURRFECT M800 - DOES IT EXIST?! a pretty detailed guide. This should apply to a m1000 too, as they have almost the same carb.Timing and idle rpm might be different - confirm by calling up a MASS or some friendly neighbourhood mechanic

You might want to borrow or buy a dwell tachometer and timing light to get things really correct.
Old 11th October 2008, 18:36   #3
BHPian

I didn't found timing light and tachometer from anywhere so went to my trusted mechanic for getting the carb adjusted. He removed the carb, disassembled everything cleaned with petrol and adjusted RPM and timing. Still no water from exhaust. Does it take long for water to travel from catalytic converter and reach muffler?
Old 11th October 2008, 19:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Water vapor condenses at tail pipe end and doesnt travel from cat to tail pipe, on a cold engine idle the car for 2-3 minutes to see this, also i see that you are running on lpg and might not happen since the exhaust is hotter. Also tuning/mixture adjustment has to be perfect with lpg line, and atmosphere should not be very dry or else it will be just a trace of water.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2008 at 19:09.
Old 11th October 2008, 19:41   #5
BHPian

Ya I have the LPG kit installed but when I take to mechanic I run on Petrol and all adjustment was done in petrol mode only. Actually my mechanic hates LPG :P
Old 11th October 2008, 21:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

So start in petrol and idle for few mins in morning watching the tail pipe and see if water condenses.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Ya I have the LPG kit installed but when I take to mechanic I run on Petrol and all adjustment was done in petrol mode only. Actually my mechanic hates LPG :P
It doesn't matter. The rpm is just slightly kept high in LPG.
Old 12th October 2008, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Problem solved ! I saw water in exhaust in evening when I returned home. I was so happy that started the car, rev it just to see more water dropping from it

Most Viewed