Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Esteem Overheating

It seems its just not my month so hereiam again ! While my other thread listed how my Baleno is troubling with jerks at 1500-2000 rpm, suddenly i've noticed that my 2000 Model Euro-1 Esteem is having its temperature going all the way to High (H) . I checked for coolant, got the Radiator replaced, Coolant changed, Carburettor Serviced and even spark plugs changed but all in vain ! I noticed that the Radiator fan works fine all the time when this temperature problem is there. Now MASS engineer says its some earthing problem which they cannot find and need time for R&D !!!! Wondering if anyone else had any similar issues with Esteem who could probably help ?
Old 16th October 2008, 01:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does it overheat gradually?
Or it just shoots up like a fuel gauge with a full tank?
Old 16th October 2008, 02:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you get the thermostat checked? If the thermostat valve doesn't open in time to regulate temp, the engine can overheat.

Infact a friends car does the opposite. His thermostat valve has been removed and he has trouble keeping the engine temp high enough.

Shan2nu
Old 16th October 2008, 07:14   #4
JRD
BHPian

seems like a gauge issue. but i also agree with shan2nu about the thermostat. keep the car running and see whether the fan turns on and then shuts off after a few seconds. If at all there is a problem with the thermostat you shall be able to find it through the behavior of the fan.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Though I didn't have any overheating issues with my 1999 Esteem LX ever, when I was about to do my first trip to Jodhpur in April, many years back, my FNG removed the thermostat valve saying it would keep the engine cool in such searing temperatures.

BTW, has the gauge started behaving erratically recently?
Old 16th October 2008, 09:59   #6
BHPian

Few months back temp. gauge in my esteem used to shoot up to High as soon as I switch on the ignition. Problem was with guage itself, got it replaced and working fine.
Old 18th October 2008, 02:28   #7
BHPian

Hi All

The temperature doesn't shoot immediately up when i start the car. It sometimes happens say in 20 minutes and sometimes in 2 hours but mostly, it happens when i middle of heavy traffic or in lower gears. The valve has already removed too for this reason so no question about it and the fan keeps moving fine so i am not sure what else could be wrong? Infact i am sure the temperature goes up because recently it made the AC gas discharge by itself and AC Technician confirmed that it happened because car was overheating. So its not just the gauge, the car is for sure overheating but don't know why .
Old 18th October 2008, 13:36   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It sometimes happens say in 20 minutes and sometimes in 2 hours but mostly,
This makes me think that it can be something as simple as a clogged radiator?
Old 18th October 2008, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Radiator was the 1st thing i got replaced so i am sure new one would'nt be the reason.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:57   #10
BHPian

I have an overheating problem in Esteem (VX, Dec 97 carb model). The car has done about 95K or so. The temp indicator rises to about 55 to 60% of Max when the radiator fan comes on. This happens within 15 mins of city driving (in B'lore).
There is a power drop with increase in temp. I mean, when I try to push it once the engine is heated up (while in overtaking), the engine 'chokes' for air/fuel and it jerks. It doesn't happen when the temp needle is about 25% of the max. At that temp, the engine is very responsive and smooth.

I told the service person (Surakshaa) about it however they say that everything is fine. I am not sure if they used Tech 2 to measure the temp at which the fan comes on and goes off. They say that a reading of 55% to 60% of max temp is fine.

Engine oil was changed (Castrol) recently however the problem persists. I am afraid if I am damaging the engine???
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I have an overheating problem in Esteem (VX, Dec 97 carb model). The car has done about 95K or so. The temp indicator rises to about 55 to 60% of Max when the radiator fan comes on. This happens within 15 mins of city driving (in B'lore).
There is a power drop with increase in temp. I mean, when I try to push it once the engine is heated up (while in overtaking), the engine 'chokes' for air/fuel and it jerks. It doesn't happen when the temp needle is about 25% of the max. At that temp, the engine is very responsive and smooth.
1.Does the car consume engine oil? best way to check is to carefully run your finger around teh inner circumference of teh tail pipe(be careful not to hurt yourself in case the pipe is corroded/rusty)
2.If the thermostat valve is ok,the temp gauge should show just less than 50 percent of range when the fan comes on.This typically happens within 15 minutes from cold start
3.Removing the thermostat valve could be a solution - the only problem then would be that the car would not "heat" at all.

Do check and reply
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Radiator was the 1st thing i got replaced so i am sure new one would'nt be the reason.
1) under the coolant elbow there is a valve which opens and shuts the coolant supply to the radiator...REMOVE IT (it is basically for extremely cold temps)

2) Flush Radiator and all linkages:remove hose connected to the radiator , lower end and add water continuously from the rad cap, activate heater while doing so(this clears your heater simultaneously) keep engine running throughout this activity ! only attempt this when engine is cold

3) If prob persists change your thermostat which is connected on your rad it activates the cooling fan
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Thanks Vigsom. I checked the tailpipe and there is no oil there (however carbon deposit was found.. my finger turned deep black )

I do engine oil change every 5000 kms or less since it has run a lot.

The service engineer at Suraksha told me that the radiator was fine and the fan was switching on at the right time. I hope he checked the thermostat valve as well.

I will get a second opinion this weekend. Do not want to remove the thermostat since that will decrease the operating temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
1.Does the car consume engine oil? best way to check is to carefully run your finger around teh inner circumference of teh tail pipe(be careful not to hurt yourself in case the pipe is corroded/rusty)
Do check and reply
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
(however carbon deposit was found.. my finger turned deep black ) SO SO

I will get a second opinion this weekend. Do not want to remove the thermostat since that will decrease the operating temp - No harm in removing the valve as I ran my car for over 4 years without the valve without any efficiency issues
But yes,get a second opinion.Meanwhile, in case I get a satisfactory solution to this ,I'll post
Old 6th April 2009, 12:56   #15
BHPian

Went to RNS motors this weekend, replicated the problem in test drive. The service engineer attributed the problem to a faulty carb and wiring. The wires that connect the distributor to spark plug need replacement (1300/-) and the carb requires an overhaul. He said the entire cost will be around 5k:(.

He said with the rise in temp, the voltage changes (due to change in resistance?) and hence, the problem is not there when the engine is cold (however I didn't find that true). I think there is no need to change the wire, a carb overhaul should be fine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks