Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 15:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I might be wrong here, but just one thought.
Is it not possible to have loss of compression ( and hence power loss ) as there is problem in gasket that is leading to leak in the combustible mixture ?
Gasket! That is easy! as stated by many above, especially Dadu's thread elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hey SirAlec any simple method available for Diesel Engine(N/A)

Thanks
Vamsi
Simplest is blueish smoke even if the engine uses normal water instead of coolant.

Compression test is similar to that of petrol, but you use the pressure guage in injectors socket instead of spark plugs. and disconnect the fuel line. (thats important) And yeah use a Pressure guage that can handle higher reading as diesel engine uses much higher compression.

@ Ford Rocam
thats in diesel engine. as stated above. Why??
Simplest answer to this is we want to get cylinder (s) into intake and compression stroke, avoiding it to go further to power stroke. Hence avoid firing it. So to test the compression of any given engine we basically use two out of four stroke of otto cycle.

Last edited by SirAlec : 17th October 2008 at 15:48.
Old 17th October 2008, 15:58   #17
BHPian

i just found this page, which has a lot of useful info for anyone who (god forbid) has these problems in the future:

Piston Rings
Old 17th October 2008, 16:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

hey! thats very informative. Also they have a online shop selling various software. I hope they ship to India.

Thanks
Old 17th October 2008, 16:38   #19
Team-BHP Support

Valves one can inspect when you remove the head, i suggest replacing/reworking the parts if you are going to open up the engine and if the car is for keeps.

As mentioned by others, overheating can damage many parts of the engine including head, valves, pistons, rings, cylinder and some extreme conditions even the conrods.

Only advice take it to a competent garage with good tools and equipments to do a thorough job, please keep in mind very few people would have worked on Ford engines and access to parts also might be restricted, so decide and proceed with caution.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Compression test is similar to that of petrol, but you use the pressure guage in injectors socket instead of spark plugs. and disconnect the fuel line. (thats important) And yeah use a Pressure guage that can handle higher reading as diesel engine uses much higher compression.

@ Ford Rocam
thats in diesel engine. as stated above. Why??
Simplest answer to this is we want to get cylinder (s) into intake and compression stroke, avoiding it to go further to power stroke. Hence avoid firing it. So to test the compression of any given engine we basically use two out of four stroke of otto cycle.
i didn't get what you are trying to say. i think he has mentioned ikon 1.6L which happens to be petrol engine & post # 10 is valid point if you wanna test compression on petrol engine.
Old 18th October 2008, 06:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am late on this thread. To know if a head gasket is gone, the usual test done around parts of Mangalore is to take the vehicle to Agumbe ghats couple of times, keenly observing the temperature needle, even as you go around the hairpins. Repeat this excercise two or three times, and do not forget to post pics here. This is better done during monsoons.

Last edited by kuttapan : 18th October 2008 at 06:50.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
i didn't get what you are trying to say. i think he has mentioned ikon 1.6L which happens to be petrol engine & post # 10 is valid point if you wanna test compression on petrol engine.
I know the thread started was asking for a petrol engine. another guys asked about diesel engine in this very thread. hence the answer to him.

My answer to your query is that you do not need (And definitely no) to disconnect injectors or fuel line in Petrol engine to test compression test (thats the whole idea, compression)

Idea here is to put ingine in first two stroke, intake and compression minus the power stroke and hence no exhaust stroke. In diesel it needs to be disconnected as diesel engine do not need sparks, diesel mixtuure ignites without sparks due to higher compression in the chamber.

Please tell me you know the details of every stage of Otto cycle. in both Djal and petrol.

Last edited by SirAlec : 19th October 2008 at 23:55.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ kuttapan,
Very bad idea. It will only spoil the head further. What if the driver has a heavy foot and drives constantly in first only.
Old 21st October 2008, 09:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

@SirAlec - You didn't get it, did you? I was referring to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbe-ghats.html.

Of course, only in jest. Now that you took it seriously, the mods are going to hunt me down.

</runs and hides>.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@SirAlec - You didn't get it, did you? I was referring to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbe-ghats.html.

Of course, only in jest. Now that you took it seriously, the mods are going to hunt me down.

</runs and hides>.
Not in Zest, but a humble advice from a fellow member, that may prevent from further damage to the engine.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Not in Zest, but a humble advice from a fellow member, that may prevent from further damage to the engine.
lol it's cool bro. i knew he was joking, i wasn't planning a trip to nandi hills
Old 27th October 2008, 21:34   #27
BHPian

another question - is there any point in changing pistons.... or is this not recommended? is it ok if a hone is done?
Old 27th October 2008, 21:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

It depends, after physical examination.

PS: Please take time to write proper sentence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks