Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Sound while applying the brakes

Hi BHPians,

I am using an Accent GLE which is just 1 yr old and has covered 15000Kms. I am facing two problems(sounds) with the brakes.

1. There is a sound coming from the brakes. It happens when the car is in a slanting position with brakes applied and when I slowly take off my foot, I hear a sound like 'tang tang'.

2. The other sound comes when the car is driven for some time and when I slam on the brakes, some big 'drrrrrrr'. sound comes from the front wheels(I presume it is from the front wheels), just like that of old heavy vehicles like bus or truck.

I have also noticed that there is a thick black substance on the front wheels. I haven't seen this in my previous car, a santro. While washing the wheels, a lot of black ( little oily too) substance comes out.

I also occasionally feel like the brake is not enough. I took the car for servicing yesterday, and the service guys(MGF Hyundai) told me there was some problem with the calipers and has been fixed. But when I took the delivery the first sound is still there and when I brought it to their attention they said it is there with every car, is it so? As far the seond problem, I am yet to check, as I will have to drive the for some time to check it.

Can anybody tell me is there anything wrong with the brakes? Any one who is using an accent may please tell me if you have such a problem.

Thanks guys.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:48   #2
BHPian

How many kilometers have you clocked so far?

Sounds like you ran out of break pads.
Quote:
It happens when the car is in a slanting position
explain?

Do u mean when you are on an inclination/slope, going uphill and when you try to break?
Old 17th October 2008, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
How many kilometers have you clocked so far?

As I have mentioned in the post - 15000

Sounds like you ran out of break pads.

explain?

Do u mean when you are on an inclination/slope, going uphill and when you try to break?
In an inclination/slope when I slowly release the brake
Old 17th October 2008, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
I am guessing your brake cylinder is gone. It seems to be a common problem in Hyundai vehicles. It happened to my Getz rear brake. I got the brakes serviced and cylinder replaced. Total expenditure: Rs 650 and 2-3 hours
Old 17th October 2008, 16:02   #5
BHPian

I got the brake drums replaced last month (1996-Zen). Ever since, I get a humming noise from the rear wheels once in a while. When I brake hard, there is a rubbing noise, which I am sure is coming from the brakes. Any idea as to what could be the reason?
Old 17th October 2008, 16:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hell no!! how can the cylinder be gone in this case. very unliky.
do the following.
1. Wheel servicing. all four wheels.
2. WHen did you changed the front pads? That metal sound is when you over use your brake pads and that rivet that holds the asbestos pad to the metal base touches the disc.
3. After the change bleed the brakes, if possible change the brake fluid completely.
Old 17th October 2008, 16:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I am guessing your brake cylinder is gone. It seems to be a common problem in Hyundai vehicles. It happened to my Getz rear brake. I got the brakes serviced and cylinder replaced. Total expenditure: Rs 650 and 2-3 hours
But will it happen at just 15000?

SirAlec

1. Wheel servicing. all four wheels.
I did that during the last service, which was on y'day.
2. WHen did you changed the front pads? That metal sound is when you over use your brake pads and that rivet that holds the asbestos pad to the metal base touches the disc.

I haven't changed the pads yet. I have driven it only 15000kms. Do we have to change the pads @ 15000 kms?

3. After the change bleed the brakes, if possible change the brake fluid completely.[/quote]

will take more pictures if i spot them again. Both are black, one is running on a MH Temp Registration and the one in this picture is 9999

i don't know the exact price the owner paid... i will also post the pictures of the RR Phantom extended wheel base in a week or so...(GVKs)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th October 2008 at 18:14.
Old 17th October 2008, 18:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

What you see i brake dust. It depends on the type of brake pad that your car is running. When you wash this will float on top of the water, ie if you spray/pour water inside the rims. Its quite normal.

As you mentioned you did the servicing yesterday so it might be that, the pads were cleaned and phased by the mech which will take couple of days running, to get back to optimum, by that time the grabbing sound from the pads should also go.

The incline sound seems like rear drums being wet and the pads sticking, should be fine once it dries. Could have happened over a pressure wash or heavy rain.

Main concern is are the brakes effective, and working the way it should be ie stopping the car without any major antics?
Old 17th October 2008, 19:00   #9
BHPian

since your car is warranty,i think there should not be any problem.get it done under warranty.
Old 17th October 2008, 21:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Maybe the noise is from the suspension. When I reverse my fiesta out of the garage which has a slope, i hear mild creaking noises when you brake or release the brakes. I think it comes from the suspensions rather than the brakes

Last edited by praveen_v : 17th October 2008 at 21:35.
Old 17th October 2008, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
since your car is warranty,i think there should not be any problem.get it done under warranty.
Brake pads are not covered in warranty.
Oddo readings may not be taken into consideration in case of Brake pads.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:17   #12

i had a similar problem in my car as for the brake pads. i installed a new set from the A.S.S. Still the problem continued. Later they applied copper grease and this done the job for atlease few months.
Old 9th March 2024, 14:01   #13

Re: Sound while applying the brakes

I had a similar issue in my venue. I brought to the SC. They said it had something to do with ABS noise and took an hour and returned it. I'm not sure what was done, but those problems disappeared. Note this one started for me after I changed my tires recently to conti UC 6. By the way, it's an awesome, smooth drive after a tire change. I am looking for potholes to go over. Seriously, it's good in case you are tired of a stiff suspension

Most Viewed