Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Baleno Engine Vibration and Sound @ 1600 RPM

Hi All,

Want you expert advice on a recent problem that has been noticed in my Baleno Vxi 2006. The car has done 27K kilometers and has been maintained very well. Strictly followed Oil and Oil filter changes at 5K kilometers and regular service at MASS every 10K kilometers.

Recently i have noticed that while driving whenever the engine RPM reaches the 1600 RPM mark there is a momentary vibration (like a shudder) in the car, it appears that it comes from somewhere in the engine compartment. This happens both when the RPM is falling or rising during driving and the RPM happens to cross this 1600 RPM figure either way. It happens in all gears and even when in Neutral if I try to maintain the RPM at 1600 by using the accelerator. Once the RPM is below or above the 1600 RPM the sound goes away completely.

The sound is as if something is loose and vibrating (initially sounded to me like the Silencer rubbing against the body) at that particular RPM. I have checked the front bumpers, engine compartment , silencer etc but could not isolate the sound.

I wanted to ask if anybody here has experienced this issue in their Baleno.

I also went to MASS and the supervisor told me that they will have to check the source of the noise by opening the Timing Belt Cover, he mentioned it could be some bearing etc although he was not sure.

Wanted your advise, should I get the same investigated by letting the MASS open up my car. I am a little concerned since my car is virtually untouched till now and I dont want to get it opened up if this is something that other Baleno owners have noticed in their cars as well.

Thanks
Manik
Old 18th October 2008, 16:28   #2
BHPian

I have done some 33000 km in mine.Never had this kind of problem.
Looks like something is loose.
Try getting someone to rev while you see if you can locate the sound with the bonnet up.
Then have another mechanic see if he can locate it. Explore all non-invasive ways of diagnosing the problem before opening up the car.
Old 18th October 2008, 17:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get your exhaust system checked. I had this prob of a vibrating sound coming in at a particular rpm. Turned out to be a weak weld that had come off in the headerpipe. Got it rewelded and the sound vanished.

Shan2nu
Old 21st October 2008, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Get your exhaust system checked. I had this prob of a vibrating sound coming in at a particular rpm. Turned out to be a weak weld that had come off in the headerpipe. Got it rewelded and the sound vanished.

Shan2nu
Thanks Shan2nu,

I spent the whole day at the MASS today. The MASS folks had 5 people over / under and inside my car trying to locate the source of the sound. They even changed half of silencer assembly (from behind the CatCon till the tailpipe), but the sound persists.

The have however eliminated the engine as the source of the sound. According to the Works Manager it is usual for Baleno to have this kind of vibration at certain RPM's and that the vibration / sound is being generated from the Silencer Area only. He assured me that there is nothing to worry about as this is normal.

Wanted your advise, should I insist on getting this investigated further or should I wait till the sound increases. My car is under extended warranty till Jan 2009.

Also you mentioned the headerpipe, is this the one just next to the engine, how do I check this part for the sound.

Thanks
Manik
Old 21st October 2008, 17:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikahuja View Post
According to the Works Manager it is usual for Baleno to have this kind of vibration at certain RPM's and that the vibration / sound is being generated from the Silencer Area only. He assured me that there is nothing to worry about as this is normal.
Certainly my Baleno is unusual then, since it never develops this kind of vibration.
This is the usual b.s. of a guy not wanting to be bothered to investigate. If you have extended warranty, all the more reason they need to fix the problem. Ask them to replace the entire exhaust system under warranty, and see how fast they'll run to solve it!
Old 21st October 2008, 18:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dont neglect it as the vibration will go on increasing, causing more damage.

Yup, in my case it was the pipe connected to the engine that had the prob. Best way to test it is to fit the exhaust system of another baleno on your car and see if it still vibrates.

Shan2nu
Old 21st October 2008, 22:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Dont neglect it as the vibration will go on increasing, causing more damage.

Yup, in my case it was the pipe connected to the engine that had the prob. Best way to test it is to fit the exhaust system of another baleno on your car and see if it still vibrates.

Shan2nu
Thanks filcord / Shan2anu,

I have decided to get to the bottom of this. I had contacted Maruti already and they have a complaint ticket open on this issue. I will keep following it up till them help me to get this resolved. I will keep updating the progress here. Thanks a lot for your support. I think that the front silencer assembly may be the culprit, lets see how it goes.

Manik
Old 21st October 2008, 23:18   #8
BHPian

no vibrations in my baleno too,done 28k kms,serviced at MASS.
i think that you should take it to some other dealer,may be you ll get a solution .
Old 21st October 2008, 23:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

It surely should be coming from the exhaust pipe. Maybe due to a weak weld as pointed by Shan2nu or worn out packing between the joints, tiny perforations due to rust etc..
Old 22nd October 2008, 00:33   #10
ECM
BHPian

Manik
Try changing engine and gear mountings.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Had same problem problem with my elantra at 60,000 kms,the problem was diagnosed to flywheel and later was sorted when i got the worn clutch and flywheel changed.The judder can be felt a bit back again at 100,000kms.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Finally Fixed

Thanks everyone,

With your inputs and persistent following up with MUL, I finally got the issue resolved today. My car spent the whole day at the MASS today and they opened and refitted all the engine mounting, the whole silencer assembly and the noise is now gone, except a slight murmur occasionally. Nothing was worn out or damaged at all.

It was probably related to something loose although they could not pin point it, but they were able to satisfy me.

I also checked a couple of other Baleno's and the vibration I had been mentioning is present is all cars between 1400-1700 RPM with varying degrees. My car had this at 1600 RPM.

They double assured me that the vibration is not from any critical part in the engine and if the silencer is firmly pressed from the tailpipe then both the vibration and the slight murmur vanishes.

I think I will let go of the issue now. It is now more of a psychological nuisance that I am sure I will get over in a few days.

Thanks for all your support.

Manik

Most Viewed