Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 10:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
flexible rubber cover called a boot. If the boot is torn (usually with age), the joint wears out very quickly.
Recently my OHC's boot was torn. I replaced the rubber boot. But while replacing the boot, Driveshaft's outer joints(BELL) was removed and refitted.
After fitting, my driveshaft started making some weird noise.
I replaced the entire driveshaft after this. I know I could have just replaced the outer bell, but couldn't take chance.
I was quoted 9500+ Rs for this Job in Whitefield Honda. Got it done for half the cost with Original part sourced from JC Road.
Old 15th October 2010, 12:18   #17

Quote:
It's not the drive shafts per se, but the constant velocity joints incorporated in the drive shafts which wear out and cause noise. CV joints are repairable, and done in the right hands, can last you as much as the original, with no problems. Usual cost of repair is around Rs.1000-1200 per joint.

Dust and road grit are the number one enemy of CV joints, and to protect them, they are covered with a flexible rubber cover called a boot. If the boot is torn (usually with age), the joint wears out very quickly. If your car's CV joint is not making a noise yet, please check and get the boots replaced - it will help to extend whatever life is left in the joint. After that, opt to get them repaired from someone good, rather than replace them.

20k for a pair of petrol Getz driveshafts sounds expensive - check with an independent shop; you'll certainly get lower prices.
Hmmn.. I see.. Thanks mate.

So I need to first get my boot replaced (if it is torn, which mostly is because you are saying otherwise CV joints would not have problems) first and then go for CV joint repair.
Any idea how much would this boot cost? And where in Bangalore I can go for its replacement?
Old 15th October 2010, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

I paid Rs 7800 approx for chaning both drive shafts of my WagonR last year. The car had run around 52 K in 8 years.

Are Hyundai parts so expensive?
Old 15th October 2010, 14:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I paid Rs 7800 approx for chaning both drive shafts of my WagonR last year. The car had run around 52 K in 8 years.

Are Hyundai parts so expensive?
Hyundai is surely costlier than MS... but did not expect it to be so costly! I think I should go to an outside mechanic shop and ask for it.. anyone can suggest a good one in bangalore for Getz?

I prefer changing the part if it will cost me less than 10K, than going for a repair now and change it after an year or less.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
...while replacing the boot, Driveshaft's outer joints(BELL) was removed and refitted.
After fitting, my driveshaft started making some weird noise.
Why was the driveshaft disassembled unnecessarily, if it was not noisy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indkish View Post
So I need to first get my boot replaced (if it is torn, which mostly is because you are saying otherwise CV joints would not have problems) first and then go for CV joint repair.
Any idea how much would this boot cost? And where in Bangalore I can go for its replacement?
The boots are cheap, maybe 200 INR each. Afraid I have no idea about car repairs in Bangalore.
Old 16th October 2010, 16:38   #21

Can any Bangaloreans help on Boot replacement in Bangalore!
Old 18th October 2010, 12:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why was the driveshaft disassembled unnecessarily, if it was not noisy?.
To put the rubber boot, they had to disassemble the drive shaft, else the other end of the boot which is too small @ one end will not go through the BELLS.
Quote:
The boots are cheap, maybe 200 INR each. Afraid I have no idea about car repairs in Bangalore.
Quote:
Yep, the cost around 200 Rs.

Quote:
Can any Bangaloreans help on Boot replacement in Bangalore!
You can try Car automobiles @ JC Road. You can get it from here.
Old 25th October 2010, 23:26   #23
BHPian

@Philip, Yes it costs so much. When one of my shafts started making the noise (in 2008) refer my old post here, They quoted 18,000 for one. One of the service guy, who worked there happened to be my friend's friend, he suggested that I changed it else where and it would cost me 6,500 and it came with a 6 month warranty. after a year I changed the one on the other side too. I did not have any problem what so ever, I even drove down from chennai to ooty last year..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks