Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 10:34   #1
BHPian

Accent Crdi Drive Shaft Problem!!

Hi all, Just needed some help regarding changing the drive shaft..My dads accent crdi has clocked 1 lak 16 thousand kms..The problem started 2 months back, there was a loud duk,duk sound while steering my car to the extreme ends.It kept growing and when we took it to the hyundai service they said it will cost around 38000 bucks as both of them(Left and Right ) are damaged..I'm totally ignorant on this topic..Will it cost that much??Is it dangerous to move on with broken drive shafts?Please do type in your knowledge about how it works and stuffs related to it.. Thanx in advance ..
Old 20th October 2008, 10:47   #2
BHPian

38k buck, WOW !! I just got my Esteems drive shaft changed, for Rs.3000 (I actually Paid Rs.2500 as I sold my old shafts for Rs.500).
Old 20th October 2008, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
38k buck, WOW !! I just got my Esteems drive shaft changed, for Rs.3000 (I actually Paid Rs.2500 as I sold my old shafts for Rs.500).

Thats dirt cheap...How come this much difference for an accent??
Old 20th October 2008, 11:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Thats dirt cheap...How come this much difference for an accent??
I don't know, try exploring outside A.S.S.

These days the shafts do not break. They just keep on making crackling sounds. So getting it changed is primarily due to sound.

And the vendors outside A.S.S and non OE products are giving 1 year replacement warranty for the same, including the rubber parts. You can easily get the old ones too (not repaired) with a complete 1 year warranty.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:04   #5
BHPian

Hey thanx shashank..Will enquire ...
Old 20th October 2008, 11:53   #6
BHPian

asked the rates outside hyundai , Just 6500...Is hyundai cheating us??
Old 20th October 2008, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

sounds like there was a mistake in the costing. either the person who quoted it was a maniac or he dint understand which part he is quoting.

38000Rs , sounds damn crazy, if he in not putting a gold plated/some precious metal's drive shaft. maruti charges Rs.3000 for the same.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:05   #8

Quote:
asked the rates outside hyundai , Just 6500...Is hyundai cheating us??
may not be. I heard that in ernakulam skoda service they are buying after market parts and selling all these as OEM. mainly clutch disk for laura.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:10   #9
BHPian

where did you ask? MGF of Popular?
i might be able to help you out in MGF ..spares and labour have always been ok for me over there..7 yrs and still going strong!
PM me if you need any help
Old 20th October 2008, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had enquired some time back and IIRC it was around 11k .
Old 20th October 2008, 12:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

some mistake?

Quote:
...they said it will cost around 38000 bucks as both of them(Left and Right ) are damaged.....
it seems to be some mistake : 38K for both the drive shafts is way too expensive. Please re-check with them. Even if they need to replace some additional parts along with the drive shafts, this figure seems too high.

Quote:
...Is it dangerous to move on with broken drive shafts?...
Since it has started making sounds now, it is better to get it resolved immediately, before it leads to breakage. Drive shaft breakage is definitely not something you want to experience. So, get it repaired/replaced at the earliest.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 20th October 2008 at 12:15.
Old 17th November 2008, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Hi All, I own a 2003 Crdi that's clocked 56000 kms. I have been getting the clicking noise on the right drive shaft for the past one month or so. When I enquired the Hyundai guys told me that I'll have to change the drive shaft and it would cost me to 18,000 to change just one. One of the service guys who used to work there happend to be my friends friend. When I checked with him, He told me that the drive shaft would not break these days but the sound would be annoying at times. And the 'same shaft' I could get for around 6k. The only advantage at Hyundai is that you'll have warranty on that one. When I checked with my (Local) Mechanic, he said it would cost me Rs.6,500 and would run for atleast 30,000 kms. it comes with a 6 month warranty. I planning to goahead with the 6,500 one. and I 'm getting it done tomorrow, Because I'm going on a trip to Yercaud with my family the next weekend, So I do not want to take any risks. I'll have more updates later.
I had an Maruti before and maintainance and spares weren't so expensive. My next car, Which I'm planning to buy for my wife, is definetly not going to be a Hyundai.
Old 18th November 2008, 01:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

This thread might have some useful info :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...a-trouble.html

cya
R
Old 12th October 2010, 15:23   #14

I searched the forum for drive shaft related issues, but could not find anything related to Getz and its cost.. so asking it here itself..

My 5yr old 50km run Getz GLS went for servicing last week.. and at the end of it the service engineer has told me that my "drive shaft" has worn out a lot and as soon as it starts making noises we will have to replace it. He has quoted that it would take around 20000 Rupees to replace it...

Is that rate right for a Getz GLS? And why does a drive shaft go bad? Just plain bad driving?
Old 13th October 2010, 18:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indkish View Post
...around 20000 Rupees to replace it...

Is that rate right for a Getz GLS? And why does a drive shaft go bad? Just plain bad driving?
It's not the drive shafts per se, but the constant velocity joints incorporated in the drive shafts which wear out and cause noise. CV joints are repairable, and done in the right hands, can last you as much as the original, with no problems. Usual cost of repair is around Rs.1000-1200 per joint.

Dust and road grit are the number one enemy of CV joints, and to protect them, they are covered with a flexible rubber cover called a boot. If the boot is torn (usually with age), the joint wears out very quickly. If your car's CV joint is not making a noise yet, please check and get the boots replaced - it will help to extend whatever life is left in the joint. After that, opt to get them repaired from someone good, rather than replace them.

20k for a pair of petrol Getz driveshafts sounds expensive - check with an independent shop; you'll certainly get lower prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks