Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 15:16   #1

Battery problem or starter problem or....??

Hello friends,

I own a 2006 Scorpio SLX CRDE. Of late I am having trouble starting the vehicle. Let me describe the problem:

1. When I turn the ignition to "on" position , all the lights and indications on the display panel glow and respond normally.
Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start.

I then tried cranking the accelerator (like the way we used to do to the amby before) and then then it started off well.

I am not sure why this is happening.

2. I checked the engine coolant reservoir and it was almost empty. I added some water to top it since I didnt have the coolant with me. After this the vehicle has had no problems starting, I dont need to crank the accelerator etc now. I just checked this today.

3. Does the coolant have anything to do with the starting problem. I have bought a can of puroguard today which I will be using to top off the resevoir can today evening.

4. By the way should I fill the coolant as it is into the reservoir can or should I mix a proportion of water with it?

5. Do diesel vehicles need any special coolant or are coolants the same irrespective of the engine?

6. Or is there some issue with the battery/starter. The headlights are bright and the horn sounds good. Is there any other way to check if the battery is the real issue?

I need some gyan on this Thanks in advance!
Old 20th October 2008, 17:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas View Post
...Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start....
Is it just a single CLICK - or does the engine keep cranking loudly but not start ?

If its just a single click - it could be a starter solenoid / relay problem.

Quote:
4. By the way should I fill the coolant as it is into the reservoir can or should I mix a proportion of water with it?
In short - yes.
Please search. We have some recent threads on this issue.
OR - just read the instructions on the bottle of coolant that you buy!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2008 at 17:52.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:25   #3
BHPian

1. & 6.
There may be some carbon deposits on battery . Clean it.
You may need to check water level of your battery, if it's NOT maintenance free battery. I am not sure though.

Put some water in radiator also. DON'T OPEN IT, if you have already started your car.

AFAIK, it has nothing to do with car starting problem. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

LOL, read this thread

HTH
Old 20th October 2008, 22:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If its just a single click - it could be a starter solenoid / relay problem.
I second that. It happened in my car, for first few times it was click and then it would start normally. then the problem aggravated and it almost never started.

The culprit was Solenoid.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:26   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Man I've just been there yesterday!! Is this de ja vu or is this de ja vu?

After suspecting everything, getting a new Amaron-Flo battery and disabling the remote central locking system, I figured it was the starter solenoid on my Alto-componented 2002 Maruti 800 12-valve MPFI 5 speed.

The starter and solenoid were a dog to remove because of the cramped space in the engine bay. But finally we got the solenoid replaced and happiness at last !!!

Battery problem or starter problem or....??-lucasstartersolenoid.jpg
Ram
Old 21st October 2008, 12:24   #6

Thank you all for your inputs. It is just a click, no half-whirring sound etc.
I shall go to the garage todat.

And yes, it starts fine sometimes but kind of keeps on "clicking" at other times. So before it dies out completely, I better rush

Thanks again !
Old 21st October 2008, 13:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
And yes, it starts fine sometimes but kind of keeps on "clicking" at other times. So before it dies out completely, I better rush
Solenoid for sure !! get it changed ASAP..!!
Old 21st October 2008, 17:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

I own a 2006 Scorpio SLX CRDE. Of late I am having trouble starting the vehicle. Let me describe the problem:

1. When I turn the ignition to "on" position , all the lights and indications on the display panel glow and respond normally.
Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start.

I then tried cranking the accelerator (like the way we used to do to the amby before) and then then it started off well.

I am not sure why this is happening.

2. I checked the engine coolant reservoir and it was almost empty. I added some water to top it since I didnt have the coolant with me. After this the vehicle has had no problems starting, I dont need to crank the accelerator etc now. I just checked this today.

3. Does the coolant have anything to do with the starting problem. I have bought a can of puroguard today which I will be using to top off the resevoir can today evening.

5. Do diesel vehicles need any special coolant or are coolants the same irrespective of the engine?

6. Or is there some issue with the battery/starter. The headlights are bright and the horn sounds good. Is there any other way to check if the battery is the real issue?

I need some gyan on this Thanks in advance!
hey friend.
i can surely gaurantee that the problem is with your starter, nothing else, but still i suggest that you go to a battery shop, and ask the guy for a service battery, put that on and try cranking again, that will pinpoint your problem in a less tedious way, try calling 18004254848, thats amaron battery, they will gladly help u out.
Old 17th July 2012, 07:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battery problem or starter problem or....??

I am unable to start my vehicle, when I turn the key to ignition position all lights dim and there is a very feeble crank sound, the vehicle was running fine till yesterday morning and there were no signs of battery problem till yesterday. But when I went to take out the car in the evening it did not start. My Accent has run on stock battery for 44.5k km and is 5 years old. Shall i try to jump start or replace battery.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Battery is gone, jump start and replace battery.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

I found a new website www.batterybhai.com where you can place an order for battery online, delivery will be within 24 hours to your place plus free installation. I placed an order for Amaron AAM-PR-0055B24LS, 45Ah battery for my Accent in the morning and the technician came to my place and installed the battery by evening, my old battery was exchanged for Rs.700 and I paid Rs.4700 for the new battery. The technician Mr.Ashok offers service at your door step and his contact number is 7483266179. His service center is located in Mahadevapura.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th July 2012 at 23:07.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 13:08   #12
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk
I found a new website www.batterybhai.com where you can place an order for battery online, delivery will be within 24 hours to your place plus free installation.
Thanks a lot for sharing that link, deehunk!

That is an excellent resource for those looking to buy an automobile or inverter battery or just comparing different brands and their prices (even if one does not actually buy a battery from them). When our i10's OEM battery was nearing the end of its life, I searched the websites of most battery manufacturers (very tedious and some don't have all the required information like approximate price) before choosing Amaron. A website like this solves the problem. Someone posted a similar, very useful site for tyres in another thread.

Delighted to see e-commerce steadily coming of age in the automobile aftermarket scenario in India.

Edit: The inverter section is still under construction. I wish they add two-wheeler batteries in the future as well!

Last edited by RSR : 19th July 2012 at 13:33.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Buzzing behind dash, Civic won't start

I have a Honda Civic 2006. From yesterday, the car won't
start. When I turned the ignition, the
engine wouldn't crank and there is a buzzing sound behind the dash. The buzz is located in the dashboard on the right side. the entire dash
(warning lights, speedometer dial, fuel, CD
player, etc do switch on but flicker when I crank the engine.
Any help? Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem?
Old 29th November 2012, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Re: Buzzing behind dash, civic wont start

I think your battery is drained. Get it charged or get a new one if this fails charging.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:24   #15
BHPian

Re: Buzzing behind dash, civic wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I have a Honda Civic 2006. From yesterday, the car won't
start. When I turned the ignition, the
engine wouldn't crank and there is a buzzing sound behind the dash. The buzz is located in the dashboard on the right side. the entire dash
(warning lights, speedometer dial, fuel, CD
player, etc do switch on but flicker when I crank the engine.
Any help? Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem?

I had similar issue with my swift. All the light flickers and was not cranking. Called helpline they came and checked the battery. it was Stock and 4.5 yrs old. they said battery is gone bad and needs replacement. problem solved with new battery.

Get your battery replaced if its old one. you will be good to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks