Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2005, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Clutch Problem - Revs shooting up (Baleno)

I purchased a Baleno in January as some of you might know - While I'm quite happy with the car , there seems to be a problem with the clutch or gearbox - it doesnt happen always - only at times.

If Im in 2nd or 3rd and I clutch, upshift and release the clutch and then floor it at times the revvs shoot upto 5000 or so and I have to let off the accelerator - doesnt happen if I'm shifting and driving smoothly - It's definitely not a case of me pressing the clutch longer than I have to - sometimes it shifts fine , sometimes - zoooooom and the revvs shoot up without any acceleration - as if the clutch is not disengaging properly. (If it was improper driving, it'd happen in the other cars as well)

I checked at Rohan Motors - they said the clutch is adjusted at the first service (at 1K) - the problem sstill occurs at times (done 3k so far)

I took it to Motorcraft - the best MASS/Service Masters IMHO and the supervisor check it - it happened once then it disappeared - so he asked me to get it and said they'd check it out - now tomorrow morning I'll leave the car at Motorcraft but can anyone guess as to what the problem might be.

cheers

zaphod
Old 31st March 2005, 19:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do you have stock tyres? Coz i dunno how grippy those 165s are. If your clutch is ok then only the tyres can cause this.

What about the ECM? Dom will be able to tell you about that.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 31st March 2005 at 19:59.
Old 31st March 2005, 20:15   #3
BHPian

nope - tyres are 195/60 R14's - but it doesnt feel like a traction problem...

another thing, it's a bit hard to shift into reverse at times - is it because of a lack of syncro or just being new ?

thanks

zaphod
Old 31st March 2005, 20:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think it's the clutch. Coz the Baleno surely doesn't have enuf power to spin 195s in 3rd.

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 20:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
. If your clutch is ok then only the tyres can .

Shan2nu

shan,

can u explain this?????tires causing the engine to revvv :WTF: .
engine revvs building up and no increase in speed means only one thing-----ur clutch has cooked up.

Dom,Iceman correct me.

cheers,

satya
Old 31st March 2005, 20:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can u explain this?????tires causing the engine to revvv .
Yup, if the wheels are spinning, there won't be any diff in acceleration but your engine rpm will rise.

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, if the wheels are spinning, there won't be any diff in acceleration but your engine rpm will rise.

Shan2nu

but if the wheels spin ,u can definitely hear the tires spinning,and i dont think thats the case over here.

get ur clutch checked .
Old 31st March 2005, 20:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think that the pressure plate might not be handling the loads well, along with the clutch.
try pointing the car up an incline, engage first, and start engaging the clutch (releasing the pedal). if the revs are increasing, along with an increase in pedal play, without the car moving, then it's definitely clutch slip.
if what you said is happening only in the 2nd- 3rd gears, then it could be just the pressure plate.
but since you said that shifting is hard even to reverse (are you disengaging the clutch completely?), before opening up the gearbox and stuff, tell your mechanic to check the gear selector mechanism. even this can cause improper shifting, hard shifting, or mis-shifts.

the synchro cones help in smooth shifting only when the vehicle is in motion, i.e, it's function is to smoothen shifts when the output shaft is in motion, to avoid excessive gnashing of gears. therefore, it is not given in some cars for reverse. but correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the baleno's 5-speed all synchro-mesh?
Old 31st March 2005, 20:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey it could be that the gears are not engaging properly. get that checked. it cannot be the clutch else it should happen always
Old 31st March 2005, 20:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shan2nu
shan dont know how you do it.
if tires arre spinning clutch is not the problem.
Old 31st March 2005, 20:58   #11
BHPian

Note : The wheels aren't spinning... not a traction problem

veyron, I'll check into your advice in the morning - will try it on a ramp and will ask the chaps at motorcraft to look into other option before taking apart my car....

Quote:
hey it could be that the gears are not engaging properly. get that checked. it cannot be the clutch else it should happen always
In that case what would be the remedy ....doesnt sound like good news whatever is causing this..

(/me is reminded of a family friend who's spanking new 800's gearbox literally dropped out of the car in the first week)

thanks

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 31st March 2005 at 21:01.
Old 31st March 2005, 21:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

if gears not engaging properly check synchroniser rings and the alignment
Old 31st March 2005, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

hey zaphod, like i said, if the gears aren't engaging properly, before ringing da-vinci , henry ford ( i don't know the name of suzuki's inventor!!), or jagadish khattar, check out the gear selector mechanism first- operate on the rest later...
and like i said, it might not be the clutch if you checked out the way i told you to-it could also be the pressure plate-the pressure plate takes the load of the pedal, and the load of the engaging/disengaging, so it doesn't matter if your clutch is fine, if your pressure plate's faulty, then nothin's gonna spin anywhere baby!!!

Last edited by veyron1 : 31st March 2005 at 21:20.
Old 31st March 2005, 21:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

and iceman, zaphod doesn't say anything about noises while shifting, only hard shifting, so it's unlikely that the synchro rings/ mesh cones are at fault here.......
besides, the revs increase after shifting, without any power transmission to the wheels, and that, isn't the synchronisers's fault anyhow!!
Old 31st March 2005, 22:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shan dont know how you do it.
if tires arre spinning clutch is not the problem.
I never said that. I said either the clutch has a problem or the tyres are spinning.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks