Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2005, 16:08   #31
DRC
BHPian

Excuse me for still learning the basics..
If I have a 175-65-R14 and want to go for 15 inch wheels..
1. Is this recommended in the first place, what improves ride or handling (assume one runs against other)

2. What tyre size should I opt, to maintain same OD. ? Certainly the side wall reduces, (aspect ratio), Then Ride will be worse..
Old 6th April 2005, 16:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Excuse me for still learning the basics..
If I have a 175-65-R14 and want to go for 15 inch wheels..
Enough Said.
Old 6th April 2005, 18:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

ooohhhh nooooooo,
not again.

hey drc,
175/65r14 seems to be the indigo.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html

u can use 185/60r14
195/60r14

andin 15 inch

195/50r15
and 185/55r15---which will be the closest to your original OD
Old 29th September 2010, 12:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Replacing the stock steel wheels with alloy wheels are supposed to increase ride comfort on account of reduction in unsprung mass, which translates to lesser energy absorption needs imposed on the dampers, helping the dampers to be more effective, thereby improving the ride. This is what I have googled out over the past few days

Now my question. Can any one please confirm the degree of improvement in ride comfort actually experienced upon installing alloy wheels, particularly for SUVs (like making the ride less bumpy and so on) ?

Since I am looking at alloy wheels more for improved ride comfort than just the looks, and these can cost anywhere from 25 to 35 k, I plan to invest in these only if there is any noticeable improvement in the ride quality.

Can someone share his experience
Old 29th September 2010, 12:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Generally when upsizing the oversize alloys are actually heavier than stock rims. Alloy rims of the same size as OE steel rims are obviously lighter.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Replacing the stock steel wheels with alloy wheels are supposed to increase ride comfort on account of reduction in unsprung mass, which translates to lesser energy absorption needs imposed on the dampers, helping the dampers to be more effective, thereby improving the ride. This is what I have googled out over the past few days

Now my question. Can any one please confirm the degree of improvement in ride comfort actually experienced upon installing alloy wheels, particularly for SUVs (like making the ride less bumpy and so on) ?

Since I am looking at alloy wheels more for improved ride comfort than just the looks, and these can cost anywhere from 25 to 35 k, I plan to invest in these only if there is any noticeable improvement in the ride quality.

changing wheels or the material the wheels are made from won't create a difference in ride quality. the reduction in weight will improve braking if anything. if you go with a tire with a thin sidewall you will get a harsh ride. the thinner you go the harsher the ride. thick side walls act as cushions. think of them as pillows for your car.

tires and shocks will be the biggest contributing factors to "ride comfort". save your money on the wheels if that's all you're going for.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

Well lets look at proportions here an stock steel 16 inch rim for your Scorpio would be approximately 15 Kg max so for all 5 wheels 15X5 = 75 Kg.

Let me assume that lighter alloy is 7Kg max then the weight is 35Kg.

So net reduction is around 40Kg , In a vehicle which weights around 1850Kg this is approx 2.16 % reduction in weight. Now if I play with numbers and assume that alloy is really light at 5 Kg then also the reduction is 2.7%.

So the question is how much ride improvement it can give ?

Do you see any ride improvement if one less adult is seated if yes then probably it is worth investing. But as a matter of fact in Scorpio or Safari kind of Vehicle 1 or 2 people less or more do not make any difference so I don't think it is going to make a lot of difference in ride quality.

For the record I have Alloy wheels in my Safari and I did not notice any ride improvement they are purely for looks.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th September 2010 at 13:17.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think it should be the other way around. Increase in sprung or unsprung mass will make the ride less bumpy. But it would take a lot of weight to actually make a diff.

Shan2nu
Old 29th September 2010, 14:25   #39
BANNED

Mooza, There will be no perceptible difference in the ride quality by our upgrading to alloys, OEM or otherwise. If you want to improve your ride quality further, it would require an extensive "dekho" at your suspension with the required equipment which is virtually impossible outside the Co RD facilities.
It also goes without mentioning that the financial implications too would be massive with no guarantee of success.

PS: Even M&M couldn't improve the ride quality more than what you have on their own.
Old 29th September 2010, 18:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton to all for the quick feedback !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
So net reduction is around 40Kg , In a vehicle which weights around 1850Kg this is approx 2.16 % reduction in weight. Now if I play with numbers and assume that alloy is really light at 5 Kg then also the reduction is 2.7%.So the question is how much ride improvement it can give ?
For the record I have Alloy wheels in my Safari and I did not notice any ride improvement they are purely for looks.
Thanks, Amit, for the honest feedback on the ride quality ! However, the Safari is supposed to have a very good ride quality, in the first place !

To look at the calculations a bit differently, I feel that this net reduction in weight should be calculated as a ratio of the unsprung mass.

In the case of my rear suspension, the unsprung mass would comprise mainly of the differential, axle/shafts and the wheels/brakes, which I guess might total to around 150 kgs, say around 75 kgs at each rear corner. A 7.5 kg reduction in weight on replacement with the alloy wheel would then translate to around 10 % decrease in unsprung mass at each rear wheel area.

In the case of the front suspension, the unsprung mass would comprise of just the lower arm / kingpin / struts, if any, and the wheel/brake, totalling to roughly 30 kgs approx at each corner. A 7.5 kg reduction on replacement with the alloy wheel would then translate to around 25% reduction in unsprung mass !

It's the above chain of thoughts which made me think of the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Mooza, There will be no perceptible difference in the ride quality by our upgrading to alloys, OEM or otherwise.

PS: Even M&M couldn't improve the ride quality more than what you have on their own.
LOL, thanks Devdath, for the feedback ! I am actually quite happy with my ride quality now after stiffening the suspension in my first gen Scorp, it was just a question of completely utilising / checking out all the other options as well !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks