Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2005, 01:46   #1
BHPian

no idea whats wrong

well as the title suggests, i myself have no idea whats wrong.
when the car is running & i hit the clutch to change my gear, the odo backlight goes dimmer & the blower/fan goes down. sometimes, even the handbrake/battery light appear & the engine stops. same happens when i raise/drop my windows (power windows). the problem occurs even when the car is not in motion.

another serious problem: while driving, if one applies the brake, it is understood one is going to hit the brake/clutch together. during this process, the handbrake/battery light appear, the engine stops & the brakes fail out. its a bad thing in heavy traffic. this does not happen when i just hit the brakes & not the clutch.

before giving it to a mechanic, i would like some suggestions from you guys. by any chance, is this related to the alternator? i got a new battery 2 months ago, so thats out of question.
~cheers
Old 1st April 2005, 01:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Im hearing this for the first time.

Shan2nu
Old 1st April 2005, 02:02   #3
BHPian

yes shan thats right. i have discussed this with some friends & they are like, what the hell are you talking about? it really scares the hell out of me when i see a speed braker a few metres ahead, want to shift down from third to second or first & the brakes absolutely give up. very very wierd!
Old 1st April 2005, 03:58   #4
BHPian

welll its probably a serious electrical problem, but then what car do u drive?

Last edited by jigarmuni : 1st April 2005 at 04:11.
Old 1st April 2005, 10:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

It may be one of a few things.

1. Alternator problem
2. Carburator needs to be cleaned/tuned as it may be running too low an idle speed
3. Carb is taking in air from somewhere
Old 1st April 2005, 11:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

electrical and brake (booster/hoses) check up.
Old 1st April 2005, 11:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
well as the title suggests, i myself have no idea whats wrong.
Ask your mech/electriciant to look for loose/worn wires on both sides of the firewall near the clutch pedal assembly. You electricals are shorting out.

Also look at the wiring harness behind the dirvers side door panel, it can also be shorting there when you lower or raise the window.

Most probably it might be above the clutch pedal itself on the wiring harness.

The most uncommon place you can look is on the ignition key assembly a loose connection also could be there.

Get it done asap before you blow the electricals out.
Old 1st April 2005, 11:52   #8
BHPian

thanks a lot for the input guys. will get all the mentioned things checked up asap.
Old 1st April 2005, 12:39   #9
BANNED

need new altenator of 100 amp. will have to go do some mods for it. or buy a battery charger at home which comes for around 1k and charge whenever needed. get rid of the system u have and it will work properly. i guess ure not going to so charger is the way to go.
Old 1st April 2005, 12:48   #10
BHPian

no dude, i have tested this even when my system is totally off. it still happens.
Old 1st April 2005, 12:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Damn, what kinda setup you got in your car?
Old 1st April 2005, 13:50   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
no dude, i have tested this even when my system is totally off. it still happens.
thats because no power left in the car. charge the battery dont use the system. will work normal. been doin the same since 5 days now. my system eats the entire battery in 10 mins flat. annoying
Old 1st April 2005, 23:24   #13
BHPian

its kinda strange and scary.
u shd be extra-cautious while driving...
anyways. i think psycho's 1st point. there may be a short wire near the clutch assembly.

since u just changed the battery, u definately shd check it to be on the safer side.
definitely, the electricals are at fault here.

the heavy sound setup may also be eating up your battery. since jesal has already experienced it, might be worth leaving the car started up for a while with all the electricals off.
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:13   #14

Check The Battery And The Alternator Output, It Seems Battery Is Weak And Not Getting Charged Which Can Be A Problem Of Any Of The Two
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuff
Check The Battery And The Alternator Output, It Seems Battery Is Weak And Not Getting Charged Which Can Be A Problem Of Any Of The Two
Dear right, Carbuff. I guess he's either got an alternator problem or he hasnt used the car for quite a while now, leaving the battery weak. I had the same problem when I found BLUE lights on my car (cousin fixed the 'for me' when I wasnt around) which were consuming too much power. Apparantly these were some kind of cheap 'imititation xenon' lights that were really burning up those amps..... I had all the symptoms mentioned - at night - and they disappeared as soon as I put the original bulbs back on and did some long - daylight - driving to get the charge back.

Cheers

Steer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks