Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 20:27   #136
BHPian

Civic-AT 40K service

Here is the report after the 40K service for my Civic-AT:

I had left it for two days at Sundaram-Honda (TVS) Madurai.
My only complaint was: Brakes made the car shudder and Steering-wheel vibrate.
So front brake-pads along with the brake-discs were replaced. (around Rs.9K).
Synthetic oil was forced on me! Wheel-alignment was done.
The service-bill amount was Rs.18,148/-
I had also done honda-approved 3M interior-treatment with under-chassis-rust-prevention treatment, the cost being an additional Rs.4,275/-
So total amount I paid was a whopping Rs.22,423/-!

I filled up my tank and drove to my home-town which is 140 kms away very softly (hypermiled) and again tanked up, the mileage I got was 15.7 kmpl!

Also the brake-shudder has vanished!

So, my car has become brand-new after two years and now I am going to enjoy!
Old 17th April 2009, 21:09   #137
Senior - BHPian

You shouldn't have needed to replace the brake discs. Just get them skimmed on every gear change until they wear down below the minimum thickness.

How much did the synth oil cost you? It cost me 2670/- including filter during my third service.

18K is too much. Could you scan and post the bill here? Make sure you blank out your engine and chassis numbers and your signature.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:29   #138
BHPian

details of 40K service for Civic-AT

Here is the bill break-up (inclusive of 12.5% VAT) for 40K service of Civic-AT:
Parts:
drain washer = 18
Air filter = 820
Brake pad = 4329
oil filter = 309
Synthetic oil = 2410
fuel filter = 3166
brake disc = 4477

Labour:
40K service = 1800
wheel alignment = 300
brake pad/disc replacement = 450
Sundries = 168

Total = Rs.18,247/-

I am surprised only about the rate of 'fuel-filter'.
At Rs.3,166/- it appears to be very expensive.

Please let me know if I had paid abnormally for anything.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Synthetic oil was forced on me!
All it needed was a firm 'NO'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Here is the bill break-up (inclusive of 12.5% VAT) Brake pad = 4329
brake disc = 4477
Labour:
brake pad/disc replacement = 450

Total = Rs.18,247/-
Please see the image below taken on 10/07/2008. The service costs minus your brake work looks fine.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image007.jpg

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 55022 (56246) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 31254 kms, 13.25 kpl, 55km/day)
Old 18th April 2009, 19:07   #140
BHPian

Windshield crack

Guys,

Need your advice on this. On 11th April, when I was driving from Bangalore - Chennai through Hosur, I have met with the most frustrating experience. Few minutes past Hosur, I heard a reasonably loud blast close to steering and for a moment I couldn't judge whats wrong. Then I noticed a start size crack like the size of a 5 rupee coin on the wind shield. Must have been a stone kicked in by the vehicle ahead or the one from opposite side.

Just wanted to understand what are the options available to me:

a) Do I have to replace the whole windshield or Are there any windshiled repair kits/shops I can go

b) Any idea on the cost of the windshield?

c) My civic is 15 months old and under warranty. Can warrantly comes in place in this situation? OR Can I go for a insurance claim?

Thanks in advance
Old 18th April 2009, 20:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

insurance will reimburse the full cost of the windshield. you'll have to pay 50% of amount for the sealants - may not be much. But it will cost you your no claim bonus next time.

Warranty cannot be used.

If its a simple crack windshield experts could fix it. But like you mentioned it seems bigger for that. But no harm in showing them once.

Last edited by laluks : 18th April 2009 at 21:00.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

trrk, they say Civic are to be filled with synth as standard. Any argument and they promptly pull out the warranty card. But for fully synth oil, the price is very reasonable.

As for manim's break up, the disc replacement was un needed, I'm certain. The discs would've been fine with a skimming at the lathe. Did they give you the old parts back? Then again, A/T brakes wear down much faster.

Fuel filter retails for USD 71.

Other than the brake disc, your bill looks fine, I'm afraid. Why go for the 3M interior treatment? My service center does up the interior during every service for free!
Old 19th April 2009, 10:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

Seems fine, except as others have said the discs - possibly a skimming is all that may have been necessary. Anyway I had thought that the brake pads/discs would be a lot more expensive. Now I can stop being gentle on the brakes!

Do you feel any difference between the older oil and synthetic?
Old 19th April 2009, 12:28   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
trrk, they say Civic are to be filled with synth as standard. Any argument and they promptly pull out the warranty card. But for fully synth oil, the price is very reasonable.
Did not know that. Remember reading that mineral oil was used earlier with the change time every 10000kms for Civic and 5000 for City earlier. Hence the suggestion.

Is it there in the manual? If it is not too much trouble, can you scan and post the relevant information?
Old 19th April 2009, 12:51   #145
Senior - BHPian

The manual does not say anything about the car requiring fully synth oil, at least, not as far as I have looked. But the rate has been on display far before I bought the car (27xx for the Civic) and what they show you is some kind of chart from Honda showing what kind of oil is supposed to be used on their cars.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:07   #146
BHPian

Quote:
As for manim's break up, the disc replacement was un needed, I'm certain. The discs would've been fine with a skimming at the lathe. Did they give you the old parts back? Then again, A/T brakes wear down much faster.
Maybe I could have done with the old discs, but for Rs.5K I get complete peace of mind by getting brand-new ones. I did get my old discs back.

I have also seen other posts where discs had been replaced before 40K itself.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Why go for the 3M interior treatment? My service center does up the interior during every service for free!
It could be pure marketing gimmick, but 3M says they use a chemical spray to clean the seats of bacteria. Since my car is two years old, I thought I can try it. Also I have children eating everything including pizza with sauces on the back seat regularly .

They do the final cleaning just before you take delivery of the car and it looks good to see four to five people surrounding your car cleaning every nook and corner!

Anyway around once a month I interior-clean my car personally with Forbes easy-clean vacuum cleaner. I exterior clean with Bosch Aquatak pressure washer.
Old 20th April 2009, 19:02   #148
Senior - BHPian

manim, I don't allow anyone to eat or smoke in my car. Not even my chain-smoking dad dares to defy this strict order of mine.

I'm pretty disappointed with the effectiveness of the Amway Leather Cleaner thingy. Its pretty weak at bringing back the leather's shine. Can anyone suggest something better?
Old 21st April 2009, 12:19   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Strange, my service advisor told me the exact opposite the last time I changed oil. With my monthly running he suggested to stick to mineral oil instead of opting for the synth.

I wonder if things have changed in the last 4 months (the last time I changed oil).
Old 21st April 2009, 19:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
The manual does not say anything about the car requiring fully synth oil, at least, not as far as I have looked.
Just have a look at the initial few messages in this thread.

The unfortunate part is that if you ask Honda India for a clarification, they will ask the dealer to explain and you will end up hearing the same!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks