Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 10:37   #1546
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@dot: This certainly helps though I pray we do not have to go through this exercise. Nevertheless, well explained. Thankfully, your mirror got saved too. I remember one of our members spending around 500 - 600 bucks at the A.S.S to get the mirror replaced. Also remember reading that one of the A.S.S. gave only the option of changing the entire assembly.

Last edited by rr_zen : 14th April 2011 at 10:40.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:06   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Luckily even after 4 years 8 months, I am still carrying my original mirrors.

However, they have come out on more than one occasions. The bottom part that has to be pressed firmly has lost its grip.

Last year, the right side mirror bottom grip was almost nil (even without being hit by someone), so applied a bit of 'feviquick' on the lower holes and it is doing well even after one year.

2-3 month ago, a cyclist hot the left side mirror and the glass came out, again the grip was loose at the bottom and again 'feviquick' did wonders.

All the movement of mirrors in all directions are fine.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:22   #1548
Senior - BHPian

@dot beautifully explained! Glad that you got your mirror back up again.
While this hasn't happened to us yet, it definately will save us the trouble amd moolah of going to the service centre to get it fixed.
Have had my mirrors hit before. The whole housing pushed forward by a biker. I thought thats it, will have to be replaced. Much like the broken fingers shown in golmaal3. But two presses on the autofold button and thr mirror was back to normal. So giving full marks to Honda here for a well engineered product.
Drive safe!
Old 14th April 2011, 11:26   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@dot: This certainly helps though I pray we do not have to go through this exercise. Nevertheless, well explained. Thankfully, your mirror got saved too. I remember one of our members spending around 500 - 600 bucks at the A.S.S to get the mirror replaced. Also remember reading that one of the A.S.S. gave only the option of changing the entire assembly.
The solution is good in case the mirror detaches from the casing. But in most cases it will be broken due to impact and then we have to get it replaced for about Rs550. Fixing the mirror was done free of cost by the dealers.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:21   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The solution is good in case the mirror detaches from the casing. But in most cases it will be broken due to impact and then we have to get it replaced for about Rs550. Fixing the mirror was done free of cost by the dealers.
Precisely. One is lucky as long as the mirror is not broken and the assembly is still functioning fine.The point I was trying to make is that when one can just replace the mirror why is it that the A.S.S would propose replacing the entire assembly (which would cost around 8k-9k) and fleece the customer.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:29   #1551
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone, glad it was a useful post.

I remember that @vasoo paid about 500 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Last year, the right side mirror bottom grip was almost nil (even without being hit by someone), so applied a bit of 'feviquick' on the lower holes and it is doing well even after one year.

2-3 month ago, a cyclist hot the left side mirror and the glass came out, again the grip was loose at the bottom and again 'feviquick' did wonders.
Pondered on this. I feel feviquick is good idea. Not only it bonds well and cures fast, it is also a brittle adhesive. So on a further/next impact the adhesive only may fail. Which is good because the impact energy will be used by the adhesive, not by the housing. We dont want the housing or the mirror to go bust.

Last edited by dot : 14th April 2011 at 12:30.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:26   #1552
Senior - BHPian

@DOT: This is brilliant. Thanks for the posting this here.
Driving in our crowded cities never know when this would come in handy.

BTW, I got the autorunner coil spring adjusters installed in my car. I meant to update that thread with pics but looks like this mod has fallen foul with most posters.
So far I've not had any reasons to complain, the ride is slightly firm and thuds have become quite muted. I am yet to drive the car on full load but so far so good.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 14th April 2011 at 13:28.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:18   #1553
Senior - BHPian

@dot: Super DIY explanation! Many thanks for posting it.

I have to agree with the others and hand it to Honda for understanding the rigours of our driving conditions w.r.t. the ORVM assy. When mine was banged out of shape the first time I thought it was curtains and my wallet would become lighter to the tune of a few grand, but the motor very happily resets itself and keep working.

The Fevikwik solution is a lovely jugaad as well.

@hiren: I'm surprised to hear the mod has fallen foul with many. I haven't checked that thread in a while. I hope your car "behaves well" from now on .

Regards,
spadix
Old 14th April 2011, 14:22   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
BTW, I got the autorunner coil spring adjusters installed in my car. I meant to update that thread with pics but looks like this mod has fallen foul with most posters.
So far I've not had any reasons to complain, the ride is slightly firm and thuds have become quite muted. I am yet to drive the car on full load but so far so good.

Cheers
eagerly awaiting you report with a full load. Although in two minds now about going ahead with this. The thing i like about this the most is that it is completely reversable.
Do keep us posted with your findings.
Thanks & Drive safe!
Old 14th April 2011, 15:51   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
@hiren: I'm surprised to hear the mod has fallen foul with many. I haven't checked that thread in a while. I hope your car "behaves well" from now on .

Regards,
spadix
You should have a look there, I am not a technically bound person and the discussion there have gone way over my head.
You know, so far the car is behaving well. And more over, its got my wife's seal of approval. She says the car ride's slightly firmer and she likes it.

There is a very badly constructed flyover near my place, it has a few undulations where the car earlier would bob up and down uncontrollably with just me. Now on the road stretch the car goes over the undulations quite calmly and does not bob about.

So yes, the car is behaving well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
eagerly awaiting you report with a full load. Although in two minds now about going ahead with this. The thing i like about this the most is that it is completely reversable.
Do keep us posted with your findings.
Thanks & Drive safe!
Thats exactly why I jumped for it. As of now I've got the donuts installed at the bottom upfront and in the center at the rear. Perhaps I could even experiment with its placement in the future to see how it reacts.

Immediately after installation the car gained atleast 1" in ride height but after a while it has settled and now the gain in hide height is hardly visible.
I wanted to get my wheels aligned right at the place where I got the donuts installed but their ramp was designed only for Mahindra vehicles, so our Civic's underbody would get scraped. I had to drive around 30 KMS before I could get the wheels aligned and noticed that immediately after the alignment there was a marked reduction in road noise, I wonder why. My entire colony is done up with pavered blocks and the difference is stark.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 14th April 2011 at 15:56.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:22   #1556
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a very badly constructed flyover near my place, it has a few undulations where the car earlier would bob up and down uncontrollably with just me. Now on the road stretch the car goes over the undulations quite calmly and does not bob about.

So yes, the car is behaving well so far.

I had to drive around 30 KMS before I could get the wheels aligned and noticed that immediately after the alignment there was a marked reduction in road noise, I wonder why. My entire colony is done up with pavered blocks and the difference is stark.

This is all very interesting. Really would like to TD you car. Why dont we meet up sometime soon. Maybe somewhere midway. Actually we could drive down all the way too.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:45   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is all very interesting. Really would like to TD you car. Why dont we meet up sometime soon. Maybe somewhere midway. Actually we could drive down all the way too.
Sure, lets do that. I will PM you my mobile number, will co-ordinate offline.

Cheers
Old 15th April 2011, 10:57   #1558
Senior - BHPian

@hiren,
Did you get those autorunner coil springs fixed to all 4 or just the rear springs ?
Old 15th April 2011, 11:33   #1559
BANNED

Quote:
You should have a look there, I am not a technically bound person and the discussion there have gone way over my head.
The proof of the pudding is in eating. So you took the right approach, if it works for me and there are no real hitches then it is fine. You are tempting me, but my warranty still has 13 months to run!
Old 15th April 2011, 12:03   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@hiren,
Did you get those autorunner coil springs fixed to all 4 or just the rear springs ?
All 4 corners. Installed at the bottom up front and in the center for rear springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The proof of the pudding is in eating. So you took the right approach, if it works for me and there are no real hitches then it is fine. You are tempting me, but my warranty still has 13 months to run!
You're correct prof! But then why do you need this? Don't you have th facelifted Civic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks