Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 23:11   #1621
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wow, that is really a case of 375 gone with the wind. Or gone with 20% oxygen.
Ha ha! Nice one.
Seriously, what were they smoking when they decided to price these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Done with 4th servicing...
AC cleaning (approx 1000) was also being dumped on me but I clearly mentioned as it is not required.
Another note on the motor care - I saw printed prices of engine waxing and it is mentioned as ~2K for civic. So the Rs 400 worth of motor care suddenly is costing 5 times more!
I wonder what exactly is done during the AC disinfectant. Having said that, my AC does feel better now.

You are correct, even I wanted to get the motor care done and the SA did not know anything about it. Was quoted the exact 2K for engine waxing, opted out of it.

Someone got this done recently up thread but it seems that my SA had not heard anything about it.
Old 8th May 2011, 00:00   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I wonder what exactly is done during the AC disinfectant. Having said that, my AC does feel better now.
I heard SA saying it kills bacterias etc.

I had no issues with my AC except for the fact that there is foul smell only when AC is switched OFF with only the blowers on OR when the car is switched off and auto AC is on. I am not worried of this issue as I use auto AC all the times (with car switched on).

The cooling is excellent. If car is in direct sunlight a temperature setting of 29 is more than sufficient. If not under direct sunlight (while stopping at signals besides trees/tall buildings) it has to be reduced to somewhere around 26. I dont like this part of Auto AC. Covering the sunlight sensor and setting the temp at 26 should do the trick but I have not tried it yet.
Old 9th May 2011, 21:57   #1623
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post

I had no issues with my AC except for the fact that there is foul smell only when AC is switched OFF with only the blowers on OR when the car is switched off and auto AC is on.
I also faced a similar issue sometime back. There was a foul stinking lemony sweaty smell every time the blower switched on during cold start conditions. But the smell would go away after AC switched on. I was carrying a Shadlan perfume of lemon flavor that time. Felt that the tin was the culprit, so threw it away. Somehow the smell also went away after a while. Thankfully.
Old 10th May 2011, 01:07   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also faced a similar issue sometime back. There was a foul stinking lemony sweaty smell every time the blower switched on during cold start conditions. But the smell would go away after AC switched on. I was carrying a Shadlan perfume of lemon flavor that time. Felt that the tin was the culprit, so threw it away. Somehow the smell also went away after a while. Thankfully.
Same problem I have. And it's not due to the Shaldan perfume. I use it too. Have used various 'flavours'.

Typically that smell (exactly as you describe) lasts for 30 seconds if the AC is switched on after a gap of a few hours. Never been able to find a pattern, but I used to get it in the morning when starting for office and then again in the evening when starting from office.

I have mentioned it as an issue in all services but they have not been able to resolve it. The problem is they are unable to replicate it there :(
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 20:36   #1625
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Never been able to find a pattern, but I used to get it in the morning when starting for office and then again in the evening when starting from office.
Exactly. Same experience here. I guess both you and I know where this mammalian smell usually comes from

Quote:
The problem is they are unable to replicate it there :(
Typical, Mr. Murphy. First of all this smell seems to be intermittent. Secondly it comes in cold start conditions. I refuse to believe that a colony of bacteria has suddenly decided to grow and die. And they will never, ever, show up when the car is in HASS.

Last edited by dot : 10th May 2011 at 20:39.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:16   #1626
Senior - BHPian

I had the same. Cleaned theblower under the dash. Did not go. So along with another glitch in an ac vent, we decided to give the guy its final remedy. This aint for the weak hearted. We removed the dash and completely cleaned the entire ac ducts and stuff. Now its bliss.

If you go back a few pages you can see the photographs of Civvy without the dash, and all the ac components. Costed aroun 4000Rs to do the entire stuff.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:21   #1627
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I had the same. Cleaned theblower under the dash. Did not go. So along with another glitch in an ac vent, we decided to give the guy its final remedy. This aint for the weak hearted. We removed the dash and completely cleaned the entire ac ducts and stuff. Now its bliss.

If you go back a few pages you can see the photographs of Civvy without the dash, and all the ac components. Costed aroun 4000Rs to do the entire stuff.
Yes, I have seen the posts and pictures of the operation.

If the smell comes back again, I will just do that.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:05   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same problem I have. And it's not due to the Shaldan perfume. I use it too. Have used various 'flavours'.

Typically that smell (exactly as you describe) lasts for 30 seconds if the AC is switched on after a gap of a few hours. Never been able to find a pattern, but I used to get it in the morning when starting for office and then again in the evening when starting from office.

I have mentioned it as an issue in all services but they have not been able to resolve it. The problem is they are unable to replicate it there :(
Please add me to the list. In my case, the smell is present when I switch on the AC first thing in the morning and lasts for about a minute(and also after an interval of few hours of not using the AC). As you would agree with me, the stench is unbearable. I agree with you on the replication at the A.S.S. The next time around, I plan to roll down my windows till reaching the A.S.S and then let them experience the problem first hand.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 12:59   #1629
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem crop up very early and had it fixed (during the 1st free service itself). It didn't rear its head up until very recently, and now the malodorous whiff lasts for just 3-4 seconds at best. I never use the blower in isolation, though. It always works with the AC also switched on (usually set to Auto mode). I will be asking them to take a look at it during the 4th service which is due now.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th May 2011, 23:03   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, can someone post a close up picture of the cover on battery's +ive terminal, from the engine bay of your Civic? I had to take out my battery to jump start one of my friend's car and now I can't seem to fathom how to put this cover back? The locks of the cover are a bit loose and it comes out as soon as I put it on its place!

The red cover in the circle is what I am talking about!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-46.jpg  

Old 12th May 2011, 12:18   #1631
BANNED

@Ace_F355; I have opened it once (to check that petroleum grease was there on the terminal). You just push down hard and it clicks into place.

Had in interesting experience yesterday. Driving back from Lucknow the passengers rear view morror had a not so small altercation with a cow. The mirror was knocked out of place. closed and opened the mirror and had to readjust the mirror. It was projecting, and also vibrating. On reaching home, I found one of the clips must have come loose. Just pushed it home. If it was my previous car (Accent) I am sure I would have been looking for a new mirror and may be dent repair. By the looks of it Civics are built tough.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 13:22   #1632
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

The mirror was knocked out of place. closed and opened the mirror and had to readjust the mirror. It was projecting, and also vibrating. On reaching home, I found one of the clips must have come loose. Just pushed it home.
This is exactly the type of experience which I had shared some pages back. You really feel nice when the mirror piece is snaps back in place and does not vibrate any more.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:57   #1633
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey guys, can someone post a close up picture of the cover on battery's +ive terminal, from the engine bay of your Civic?
Posting the pictures of the same. The pics were taken in basement and are not of any quality. Bay also slightly dirty.

Hope it helps.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-12052011469.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-12052011470.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-12052011471.jpg
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:24   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting the pictures of the same. The pics were taken in basement and are not of any quality. Bay also slightly dirty.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for taking the pain for clicking the pics, dot. I have fixed mine as well now, seeing these pics! Thanks once again!
Old 12th May 2011, 14:56   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had in interesting experience yesterday. Driving back from Lucknow the passengers rear view morror had a not so small altercation with a cow. The mirror was knocked out of place. closed and opened the mirror and had to readjust the mirror. It was projecting, and also vibrating. On reaching home, I found one of the clips must have come loose. Just pushed it home. If it was my previous car (Accent) I am sure I would have been looking for a new mirror and may be dent repair. By the looks of it Civics are built tough.
Civic is certainly screwed together better compared to entry level sadans e.g. Accent! But somehow, I miss the build quality of certain Europeans! Be it the steel panels or the plastics!

I had similar incident on Valentine's day this year when I was in Chandigarh! It was drizzling, I was taking a round about in my Civic when a speeding Maruti 800 driven by an elderly chap slipped under braking and became uncontrollable! I saw the car coming towards me, braked and stopped but the 800 bruised against front left hand side of my car, and crashed into the round about!

Damage on the 800 due to bruising against my car - couple of deep scratches

Damage on my car - dented front left fender, torn apart front bumper, completely broken headlight assembly!

I was appalled to see such damage just because of bruising on a stand still car! Moreover, the complication was due to the fact that I have custom made headlamps on my car! Another bummer I got to hear when I called Honda about the headlamp availability, they told me it is available but I will need to buy the complete set for INR 16000!

Buying a new set, painting it matte black and then put customized projectors into it seems to be an overkill! So, I asked one of my friends and he arranged a used LHS Civic headlamp assembly for INR 3000! Eh, the mental agony I had to go through was so unbearable! Simply could not believe an 800 could do such damage to a premium Japanese car!

Quote:
@Ace_F355; I have opened it once (to check that petroleum grease was there on the terminal). You just push down hard and it clicks into place.
Since I took out the battery, I also had to take this cover out completely. The baffling part was where to place the terminal wire in the cover! I have fixed it now, thanks to the pictures posted by dot!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks