Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 15:35   #1636
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I noticed today in the 4th (1 year) service receipt that next service due is mentioned as 4th aug 2011. This is 3 months from my 4th service done last week. I also noticed that the sticker that the service station had put during 3rd service in Oct 10 mentioned a date in jan 11 as next service and I have missed it.
I remember the service interval to be 6 months 10k kms whichever earlier but now looking at the above I am confused again. I dont have the manual now but does it explicitly mention the interval as 3 months?
Here is another post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1719665 thanks to ImmortalZ. The pages look the same in my service manual and nowhere mention 3 months (except for 1st and 2nd free service). At the minimum it is 6 months or 5000Kms under visual inspection on 2nd page.
EDIT : Service at indicated distance mentions service every 5000 kms but it does not mention any duration.

Last edited by alto99 : 12th May 2011 at 15:39.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:25   #1637
BANNED

@alto99; You are not the first on whom this trick has been tried. I Alsation had a sticker and multiple phone calls for the same story. Just ignore them.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:55   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, H.A.S.S. starts issuing reminder calls the day 3 months have passed since the previous service. Of course, there's the sticker too.

If I remember correctly, the manual advocates one service every 10k kms for cars driven in "normal" conditions and once every 5k kms for cars driven in "stressful" (or some synonym of the word) conditions. Stressful includes but isn't limited to driving in dusty conditions or doing less than 8 kms per trip or driving at very high altitude or in a corrosive environment, etc.

I have decided to drop my car in once every 5k kms irrespective of how long it takes to complete those 5k kms. I'm not very far off the time mark so far but 20k kms per year on a petrol car isn't sustainable. 10k per year is more like, which is 5k/6 months.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th May 2011, 17:37   #1639
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

Damage on my car - dented front left fender, torn apart front bumper, completely broken headlight assembly!

Buying a new set, painting it matte black and then put customized projectors into it seems to be an overkill! So, I asked one of my friends and he arranged a used LHS Civic headlamp assembly for INR 3000! Eh, the mental agony I had to go through was so unbearable! Simply could not believe an 800 could do such damage to a premium Japanese car!
Ouch, that must have hurt. The 800 must have come from an odd angle.

So you have a new LHS headlamp assembly with the older projectors?

That also means that a new assembly can be obtained for 3k or so, useful info to remember.

Last edited by dot : 12th May 2011 at 17:38.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:51   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Ouch, that must have hurt. The 800 must have come from an odd angle.

So you have a new LHS headlamp assembly with the older projectors?

That also means that a new assembly can be obtained for 3k or so, useful info to remember.
Yep, basically my Valentine evening was spoiled completely! But hey, it was in the name of making my Shark road worthy again, right!

You are right, LHS assembly was procured and projectors from the broken headlamp were shifted into it! If you see the engine bay picture I posted above, LHS headlamp lens feels dull compared to RHS lens! Owner's remorse is that everytime I polish my headlamps during car wash, my eyes notice it no matter what!

INR 3000 is a reasonable price I got for headlamp assembly but it wasn't new! You need to dig down deep into the market to procure such parts as used, which can be frustrating at times!
Old 12th May 2011, 18:23   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
OT: Any guesses how much HASS charges for nitrogen filling in your tires? A whopping 375.
Thats insane. I was told during my services that they fill nitrogen in the tires and there is no charge for it. However, due to inconsistent tire pressures, I have strictly asked them not to touch my tires for anything, be it alignment/balancing or checking tire pressure.

I get my nitrogen filled in at the petrol station once a month for the same tip I used to pay earlier when filling in normal air.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:39   #1642
Senior - BHPian

70K done. Will go in for the service this Saturday.

I guess after the dirt roads I had taken all these days for my trips had its toll on the engine mounts. Poor Civvy, It had been to terrains Civic was not supposed to have gone!! A slight vibration has cropped in. Happy that the mount stayed for 70K Kms and 4 years. No other issues.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:43   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
70K done. Will go in for the service this Saturday.

I guess after the dirt roads I had taken all these days for my trips had its toll on the engine mounts. Poor Civvy, It had been to terrains Civic was not supposed to have gone!! A slight vibration has cropped in. Happy that the mount stayed for 70K Kms and 4 years. No other issues.
Congrats for crunching 70K kms on your Civvy, laluks! Love all your travelogues and those awesome pictures!

Glad to see the engine mounts on your car lasted 70K. Civics are really prone to engine mount busting and I have seen some examples with extraordinary low mileage on the odo!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 18:58   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Even I have noticed the same about engine mounts. So had that in my mind all these while. Happy it lasted so much.

My observations on my Civvy till now

1) Front brake pads - 57K kms (Changed rotors too, did not do skimming as I was out of town)
2) Rear brake pads - 65k Kms
3) Stock tyres - Good year Eagle NCT 5 - 60K Km
4) Engine mounts - 70K Km
5) Battery - 50K Kms, ~3+ years
Old 12th May 2011, 21:31   #1645
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. 70k KMs is 43k miles. Nothing for a Honda, just entering into adulthood.

IIRC, Scorponok's engine mounts were also replaced during the 30k service.

Quote:

3) Stock tyres - Good year Eagle NCT 5 - 60K Km
I always wondered how the NCT5s ran for 60k KMs.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:49   #1646
Senior - BHPian

The numbers that laluks has put down, suggest he must be one of those sedate drivers who don't do pedal to the metal runs in their Civics! I for one, can't resist the urge of hearing the engine note @ 7000 RPM for long enough!

Never the less, Kudos to him for the time and care he has provided to his Civvy!
Old 12th May 2011, 22:21   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The numbers that laluks has put down, suggest he must be one of those sedate drivers who don't do pedal to the metal runs in their Civics! I for one, can't resist the urge of hearing the engine note @ 7000 RPM for long enough!

Never the less, Kudos to him for the time and care he has provided to his Civvy!
Absolutely wrong for the first part. I have certain records with me, but dont want to put those figures on a public forum
Second part is perfectly right.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:35   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Civic is certainly screwed together better compared to entry level sadans e.g. Accent! But somehow, I miss the build quality of certain Europeans! Be it the steel panels or the plastics!
I completely agree with you here, the civic at home hit a santro last year at speed of not over 20 kmpl. The civic was going straight in a single lane, which had cars parked on left. A parked santro came in civic's way without signal and the left side front of civic hit the right side of santro. All that old uncle in santro had to say was sorry. The santro had some bruises but the civic had a torn bumper, a molded fender and a broken head lamp. The service center gave an estimate of some 38k and we were .

This year it was rear ended again by a santro and the civic then hit the car in front. Damage, front and rear bumpers replaced, along with skirting, hood and boot paint. Total damage 65k. Half of plastic cost in both cases were borne by us.

Quote:
I had similar incident on Valentine's day this year when I was in Chandigarh! It was drizzling
What a coincidence, I too was in chandigarh on Valentine's day this year. Had some real fun driving.

Quote:
Another bummer I got to hear when I called Honda about the headlamp availability, they told me it is available but I will need to buy the complete set for INR 16000!

Buying a new set, painting it matte black and then put customized projectors into it seems to be an overkill! So, I asked one of my friends and he arranged a used LHS Civic headlamp assembly for INR 3000! Eh, the mental agony I had to go through was so unbearable! Simply could not believe an 800 could do such damage to a premium Japanese car!
Most service stations charge for complete head light assembly, which includes wiring, holder etc. However, in most cases, one only needs basic head light. For that matter, cedia's complete assembly costs 23k and people used to report it for 5k and I was very confused. It was later that I found that its the complete assembly that A$$ tries to sell. A mail to Honda could have got you the light for the MRP. My guess 5-7k.

Also, next time you want civic's head light, try karol bagh, you shoud find a new one within 5k.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 22:39.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:28   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely wrong for the first part. I have certain records with me, but dont want to put those figures on a public forum
Second part is perfectly right.

haha... glad to know I stood incorrect for the first part! IMO, it should be passed as a rule for owners to frequently redline their Civics at least once every week (oops, I meant month)!

I am quoting what gaurav_chopra04 wrote in his ownership thread -

"There is more to driving (life) than KM/L, experience the thrill of 0-100 or top speed, experience the thrill of not shifting the gear till you sip the last drop of power of your engine, experience the thrill of cornering till your rear wheels start to lose traction, experience the thrill of life saving braking and then experience the smell of burnt clutch, burnt rubber, burnt brake pads"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
next time you want civic's head light, try karol bagh, you shoud find a new one within 5k.
Sorry to read about your experience, Gaurav! I know it hurts to say this but 'Built Tough' isn't a punchline that Honda could ever use for their cars like City and Civic!

Hey, can you PM me any links (if you know any) of those Karol Bagh shops you are talking about! Do they sell genuine Honda parts?

As much as I hate to say this, but I had to go to Mayapuri to get this used headlamp assembly for my Civic! lol.

P.S. - Boy, what a thorough review of your Cedia, still reading it! I am guessing on my part but you seem to live in around Karol Bagh area, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What a coincidence, I too was in chandigarh on Valentine's day this year. Had some real fun driving.
Yeah, Chandigarh has the roads to enjoy the ride no matter what do you drive! Can't imagine how lucky eckreturns must be feeling driving his Lamborghini, R8 and Aston DBS to drive on those roads!

Fairly O.T., lets get back to the mighty Civic, shall we!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 12th May 2011 at 23:45.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 23:58   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but 'Built Tough' isn't a punchline that Honda could ever use for their cars like City and Civic!
Well said mate!

Quote:
Hey, can you PM me any links (if you know any) of those Karol Bagh shops you are talking about! Do they sell genuine Honda parts?
Will send you across tomorrow, dont have the numbers handy. Also I attached a map of the market couple of month back on this thread, here is the post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264716

Quote:
As much as I hate to say this, but I had to go to Mayapuri to get this used headlamp assembly for my Civic! lol.
We should actually love to say this, had it been any other country, you would have had to buy a new assembly for 16 grand. I sorely missed such markets when I was in UK .

Quote:
P.S. - Boy, what a thorough review of your Cedia, still reading it! I am guessing on my part but you seem to live in around Karol Bagh area, do you?
Thanks man, I put up in Pascim Vihar, west Delhi. Only thing I visit Karol bagh is for phones (gafar) or for auto parts.

Quote:
Yeah, Chandigarh has the roads to enjoy the ride no matter what do you drive! Can't imagine how lucky eckreturns must be feeling driving his Lamborghini, R8 and Aston DBS to drive on those roads!
Haha, I would have tried to image, had I owned even one of the three, but then do I really want to, an EVO will suffice. And yes, Chandigarh roads are one of the best I have seen here in India.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th May 2011 at 00:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks