Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 16:19   #1681
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I had the a metallic clunk after the third service onwards. It used to come from the engine mount side. I have complained in the next services and they had said everything in order.

I was not satisfied and decided to check the source of the sound by reproducing the same with an open bonnet in my layout roads. Finally found that fellow to be the power steering Oil box, which was latched on to the chasis. Look at the yellow arrow
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc01046p.jpg

This fellows metal mount was not tight. I padded it up and checked, the sound gone. Next service made them attend to it properly.

Check that fellow, pad him up with some rubber parts and check once. May be its just that.
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 19:51   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I was not satisfied and decided to check the source of the sound by reproducing the same with an open bonnet in my layout roads.

Quote:
Finally found that fellow to be the power steering Oil box, which was latched on to the chasis. Look at the yellow arrow
Now where's the 'bowing'/respect smiley when I most need it?

Thanks once again, laluks!

Regards,
spadix
Old 16th May 2011, 22:33   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Back to Civic Brake spare parts price.
I recently enquired for the same. Here is the quote for the same from them provided through email.
HONDA CIVIC .
>>> Front Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Rear Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Front Brake Rotors RS 2800X 2
>>> Front Struts 4800 X 2 + Struts Kits
Thanks for the Spare Mart link Man. Got front brake pads for cedia today over phone, these people are pretty genuine. Ofcourse, I gave the cash on delivery.

heres the link to my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2354026

Very much appreciated, thanks again.
Old 17th May 2011, 10:15   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having known the difference by using a filter there, I can state that it did not make any perceivable difference in the scenario. I have gone ahead and used a filter since I suffer from a lot of wheasing, going by perceptions like you have today. My conditions were aggreavated when the filter was clogged, and believe me that happens quite fast in Bangalore.

The car might have that design, but the question is practicality in our environments. Further to be precise it is called a pollen filter too.

I too feel the reason for not fixing it in our cars is not just for saving money. They would have definitely considered the dusty conditions here. Replacing this filter every service would have meant an additional cost of some 500 bucks. More over I think having a filter may also impact the air flow or cooling efficiency of a/c and this could be a bad thing for our weather conditions.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 11:51   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Thanks for the Spare Mart link Man. Got front brake pads for cedia today over phone, these people are pretty genuine. Ofcourse, I gave the cash on delivery.

heres the link to my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2354026

Very much appreciated, thanks again.
My Pleasure.
Good to hear that you are very much happy with the parts you procured.
Very soon I'm planning to get some spare parts from this shop.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:26   #1686
BHPian

Checked the cabon air filter and its not present in mine as well. There was a some dust on the filter-frame though.
Note that to fully open the glove box, there is another step for indian versions - to remove the glove box strut on the left hand side (for smooth operation of the glovebox).
Old 17th May 2011, 23:26   #1687
dot
Senior - BHPian

Since we are talking about noises, I will bring back an old issue in my car. The Grr Grr gurgling noise (like a diesel) which comes on and off. Off late this noise has become conspicuous and irritates me like anything.

To recap, I had shown the car to two different HASSes and the answer was nothing to worry, AT Civics have this noise, it comes from torque converter.

After changing tyres recently the noise seemed to have gone off.

During a recent long drive (to Goa) the noise is back.

Previously the noise used to come from 0 (stand still) to 20 KMPH. Now it comes higher speeds also, specially during quick acceleration when starting RPM is around 1000-1500. The frequency of the noise changes as RPM increases and disappears by 2500. The noise is also pronounced when AC fan is on at idle. The noise does not seem to depend of engine temperature, it comes during cold start or at fully warmed up conditions.

BTW, this noise is not really loud. To give you an idea, if the HU is on at volume setting 4 or 5, one cant hear the gurgling sound.

I was reading on the net for similar reports on Civic. So possible sources are

1. Torque converter. Solution: replace AT oil, if not solved replace torque converter.
2. Throttle body clogged up. Solution: clean up TB
3. It is really AC noise: Solution: clean up AC system
4. It could be air trapped in coolant. Solution flush coolant.

Need some help here. What could be the issue?

Last edited by dot : 17th May 2011 at 23:27.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:49   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Excuse my knowledge on ATs but if you can put the car on neutral while its on the move and all other things switched off, Music, AC blower etc, and the noise still persists, then it may be a wheel bearing noise. Havent personally tried putting an AT in neutral while on move, so dont know it.

If not, I have a feeling that Engine or gear box mount could be an issue, most probably gearbox mount.

Quote:
After changing tyres recently the noise seemed to have gone off.
This would make me think again if its wheel bearing.

Quote:
Previously the noise used to come from 0 (stand still) to 20 KMPH. Now it comes higher speeds also, specially during quick acceleration when starting RPM is around 1000-1500.
This makes me think again if its wheel bearing, that why I asked if ATs can be put to neutral on move, if its wheel bearing, the noise will still come.

in btw, which tires did you get. sorry if I missed it.

Quote:
1. Torque converter. Solution: replace AT oil, if not solved replace torque converter.
can try getting oil changed, doesnt cost much.

Quote:
2. Throttle body clogged up. Solution: clean up TB
Havent seen a clogged TB making grr grr noise, it makes more of shuuuu noise, as if air is trying to make its way.

Quote:
3. It is really AC noise: Solution: clean up AC system
If the noise is evident with blower switched off, no way it can be AC noise.

Quote:
4. It could be air trapped in coolant. Solution flush coolant.
Very less Probability again.

I have a strong feeling it can be wheel bearing or gearbox mount. Get it checked at an independent garage if reply from ASC is not satisfying.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th May 2011 at 23:51.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 10:30   #1689
Senior - BHPian

Finally it happened, the dreak crrunnncchh sound of the running board meeting a hard rock.

Yesterday I managed to mangle the running board on the right side of my Civy damaged and guess where this happened, in my society compound when I was asked to move the car as paverd blocks were being installed.

I had to reverse the car some 15-20 feet, and then turn the wheel to full left to get out. The reversing part was ok, and since the space was tight I asked the laborers to help me navigate thru the turn. The right wheel went all right and then suddenly the car lurched and I heard that sound. Immediately got off and imagined the worst, and it was. The running board just behind the right front wheel had gone over a big triangular rock which was put there 30 secs before.

I was too shocked to even take pictures. Somehow got in the car and drove out. I was so shell-shocked that I almost ran into a bus. Parked the car at the side and cooled myself for a good 15 minutes before I took the car to my parents bldg and parked it there.

I will post the pics in the even for you to see, and is it possible to get this repaired? The damage is not much, perhaps around 3-4 inches.

Geez, typing this has set my heart racing. I am too damn attached to my car.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 18th May 2011 at 10:32.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:05   #1690
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I too feel the reason for not fixing it in our cars is not just for saving money. They would have definitely considered the dusty conditions here. Replacing this filter every service would have meant an additional cost of some 500 bucks.
I agree since in a 13-15L car the additional outlay on a filter will be may be Rs.250 or so for Honda (not the retailprice naturally). Not eaxctly significant. However the amount of aggro choked flterw will cause will have the cries of not having cooling/air circulation hitting the ceiling.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:36   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Finally it happened, the dreak crrunnncchh sound of the running board meeting a hard rock.

I will post the pics in the even for you to see, and is it possible to get this repaired? The damage is not much, perhaps around 3-4 inches.
I'm sorry to hear that, Hiren. :(

I totally empathize with you. You just don't feel like taking pictures. That was exactly what I felt too when something similar (though not so damaging) happened to my car. And you're right - the pain causes you to loose concentration and could be the reason for potentially more harm. It's a good thing you cooled off for a bit there.

It can be repaired, no doubt. Because it's the running board, getting the dents removed could be a bit of a pain compared to getting dents removed from other body panels, but a good body work shop will be able to set it right. I think the bigger concern could be colour-matching.

Quote:
Who here isn't? You'll get over this soon, and once the car comes out of the workshop looking sparkling new, you'll even forget what happened.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th May 2011, 11:49   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it possible to get this repaired?
Yes. Running board damage can be repaired.
Tinkering + paint work has to carried out if the damage is big.

Quote:
The damage is not much, perhaps around 3-4 inches.
We understand. Relax, What had to happen has happend.
If the damage is not too big, just keep it as it is, else get it repaired
Old 18th May 2011, 11:51   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
awww... bad luck, hiren! I know the exact feeling you described! Running boards are prone to such damages in most cars. Don't worry, take your car to a good body work shop and they should be able to put it back into shape!

P.S. - Running board area is bit hard to work upon! Make sure the body shop straighten and properly align the running board with rest of the body lines, and don't just take out the dents, scratches, and repaint the section!
Old 18th May 2011, 12:23   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Hiren. :(

I totally empathize with you. You just don't feel like taking pictures. That was exactly what I felt too when something similar (though not so damaging) happened to my car. And you're right - the pain causes you to loose concentration and could be the reason for potentially more harm. It's a good thing you cooled off for a bit there.

It can be repaired, no doubt. Because it's the running board, getting the dents removed could be a bit of a pain compared to getting dents removed from other body panels, but a good body work shop will be able to set it right. I think the bigger concern could be colour-matching.

Who here isn't? You'll get over this soon, and once the car comes out of the workshop looking sparkling new, you'll even forget what happened.

Regards,
spadix
Yes, we are all car lovers of course.
Will be taking the car to my local garage, hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yes. Running board damage can be repaired.
Tinkering + paint work has to carried out if the damage is big.

We understand. Relax, What had to happen has happend.
If the damage is not too big, just keep it as it is, else get it repaired
Yes, I will decide that post my visit to the garage.
I've seen many people don't treat small dents/scratches as some sort of evil eye protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
awww... bad luck, hiren! I know the exact feeling you described! Running boards are prone to such damages in most cars. Don't worry, take your car to a good body work shop and they should be able to put it back into shape!

P.S. - Running board area is bit hard to work upon! Make sure the body shop straighten and properly align the running board with rest of the body lines, and don't just take out the dents, scratches, and repaint the section!
Exactly my concern. I will see the car in the evening again today and decide whether I want to get it repaired or keep it as is. Some sort of war wound!
Old 18th May 2011, 12:32   #1695
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it possible to get this repaired? The damage is not much, perhaps around 3-4 inches.

It was disheartening to hear, I could almost feel that it had happened to my car!

BTW, by running board you meant rocker panel I would guess. A 3-4 inch gash/dent would be easily repairable, with paintjob you should be able to get it fixed by 2-4k INR.

Most Viewed