Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 17:13   #1861
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Engine mount is in discussion here and I have already experienced the same.

The first time it was changed when my car was just completing my first 2 year warranty, that time they just changed the right side.

A week back I had this weird sound from front left while reversing as though something is jarring between the tyre, road etc, the first day it started with that and with in 2 days when I use to start the car in the morning the steering was vibrating which would go after a minute or so.

They changed left side engine mount and right side regular mount which is a rubber part you see on the top. now both the mounts have 6 months guarantee.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 6th June 2011 at 17:14.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:09   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Just called the Michelin rep at Calcutta. He says they don't get PS3, PS2 in 15s. PP2s yes, but they have some ISI issue, hence no supply.
My bad, ps3 is available in 195/55 r15 and in no others on 15 inch. I believe there was some confusion. PP2 though the guy said can be arranged for 6500 per tyre on 205/55 15, however, it will be november 2010 year tyre.

Also saw tyre from GT radial and maxxis, maxis looked a bit overboard for 205/55 r15 but GT radial looked good both for around 4400.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:29   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I remember some Indian Civics getting recalled for a suspension-related glitch if I'm not mistaken. This was when I was still in Bengaluru, so it must've been before April 2009. Most likely late 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@spadix
can you please share more information regarding Civic suspension re call issue?
My bad, jatinpatel. My memory didn't serve me right after all.

As it happens, Indian Civics didn't suffer from that issue and weren't recalled.

Also, it wasn't a suspension-related issue per se.

And it was much earlier than 2008.

Here's a thread (Honda Recalls 182,756 Civics Over Wheel-Bearing Leak) with relevant links and quotes.

But I'm surprised to learn (from the content in that thread, again) that Honda India had recalled a few Accords.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th June 2011, 03:31   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
My bad, ps3 is available in 195/55 r15 and in no others on 15 inch. I believe there was some confusion. PP2 though the guy said can be arranged for 6500 per tyre on 205/55 15, however, it will be november 2010 year tyre.

Also saw tyre from GT radial and maxxis, maxis looked a bit overboard for 205/55 r15 but GT radial looked good both for around 4400.
Do not discount the AVSdB so quickly. I have these on my Cedia, covered 15000kms and still as good as they were on day 1 in terms of grip, low noise and looks. It seems shuvc is having some issues with his set of tires but I trust that it should be sorted out shortly.

You could look at the C drives too, they are now available in 195/60R15 and are an amalgamation of technologies from both the dB and the S drives.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 07:22   #1865
Senior - BHPian

why not just get the PLC? Mine have 22K on the odo, traveled 2400 kms in 3 days at speed of 140-150 kmph and never had problem, be it grip, handling, durability or flat tyre. They are almost 2 years now. But they still look new with minimal tread loss. Looking at them, I think they are still good for another 20K to 30K kms. Moreover, you get absolute noise reduction and the comfort and noiseless highway cruise is just amazing. You only got to hear the VTEC growl.

Last edited by iTNerd : 7th June 2011 at 07:23.
Old 7th June 2011, 08:31   #1866
BHPian

Yesterday I got my 40K service done at parl honda sector 63 noida...
Please find detail invoice attached.....
Total expense = 9091 INR
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0346.jpg  

Old 7th June 2011, 09:58   #1867
Senior - BHPian

How many of you fill premium fuel for your Civic car? I have always been filling the regular (lowest grade) variety available in pumps. Will it have an impact on engine or performance ? I think there is a notice inside the fuel lid which says something about the quality of fuel to be filled. Is it 90 RON? Don't exactly remember what it was.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:28   #1868
dot
Senior - BHPian

As some of you know that Scorponok had recently gone for the 40k service. Here is the break-up of the cost incurred. It is higher than what some members have paid.

Parts cost

Engine oil Rs2575
Element assay, air Rs889
AT oil Rs1146
Windscreen fluid Rs90
Oil filter Rs190
Fuel strainer Rs3438
Washer Plug drain Rs19
O ring (fuel system cleaning) Rs300
O ring (fuel system cleaning) Rs224
Consumables Rs180

Labor cost

N2 Rs100
Brake bleeding Rs200
HDS test Rs450
Battery inspection Rs25
3M service prog Rs244
40k service Rs1500
Fuel system cleaning Rs2000
AC gas disinfection Rs902

Total including taxes and octroi Rs15049

I had told them not to install the AC cabin filter and no Motor Care, but they went ahead with the nitrogen filling, much to my chagrin. HDS test (OBD scan) was free at the other HASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
How many of you fill premium fuel for your Civic car? I have always been filling the regular (lowest grade) variety available in pumps. Will it have an impact on engine or performance ? I think there is a notice inside the fuel lid which says something about the quality of fuel to be filled. Is it 90 RON? Don't exactly remember what it was.
I used Shell Super premium last time, car gave better FE. Normally I use the regular petrol.

Last edited by dot : 7th June 2011 at 10:33.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:33   #1869
BANNED

@dot; Must give instructions in writing. I make a note, Then they cannot add these things. I cannot understand may of the charges - HDS test, battery inspection, 3M service, AC gas disinfection. Also, why fuel system cleaning.

One mistake we make is to give them a blank cheque to do whatever they like!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:33   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
The Engine mounts on my civic were replaced free of charge by Honda at the 40000 KM service, The mounts had given and while reversing I could hear funny noises and moreover the morning start up noise what everybody is complaining here.

When I showed it at the A.S.S he said the engine mounts need to be replaced, but he told me that would be done free of charge as a "GOODWILL GESTURE FROM HONDA", I dont know why. Looking at my car, 17" Rims, aftermarket suspension. I still dont believe how and why did he change for free, but I aint complaining
You are one lucky guy. Do share some pics of your ride.

Quote:
The civic runs fine on 91 RON. You do not need to fill a higher RON rating like RON 97. Ofcourse the engine would run better on RON 97 fuel. But is not compulsory. And as RON 97 is not available at all fuel pumps especially if you do not stay in the metro's, it would be hard to maintain one quality of fuel in your tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Just called the Michelin rep at Calcutta. He says they don't get PS3, PS2 in 15s. PP2s yes, but they have some ISI issue, hence no supply.
I think @dot got Michelin XM1's they are pretty good. Hey you are from good ol Cal eh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Yesterday I got my 40K service done at parl honda sector 63 noida...
Please find detail invoice attached.....
Total expense = 9091 INR
Expenses in line with expectations. Fuel Stainer and Labour bringing it up till here.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:42   #1871
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Must give instructions in writing.
This is a very good tip you shared. Thanks. Will do from now onwards. I was carrying on from my Ford and Hyundai experiences where things went according to verbal agreements and in case they had to change something or do something extra, they would call up.

Quote:
Also, why fuel system cleaning.
Apparently part of 40 service. They changed the fuel strainer for which one has to uproot the rear seat, remove a cap which opens to the fuel tank, fish out the strainer and replace it with a new one. The amount of dirt on the strainer is seen to be believed. I have taken pictures; will post them when Scorponok's primary issue is finally resolved.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:29   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
why not just get the PLC? Mine have 22K on the odo, traveled 2400 kms in 3 days at speed of 140-150 kmph
Don't like the Michelin tread designs
I'd want tyres that are absolutely surefooted with equally good braking capability at higher speeds.

Quote:
How many of you fill premium fuel for your Civic car?
Always regular fuel for my car.

Quote:
@dot; Must give instructions in writing.
I give instructions verbally. The SA jots it down. Then punches it into the comp in front of me and gives me an exact estimate ! For all 4 services, I have paid exactly the amount he had 'estimated' before the service.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:47   #1873
Senior - BHPian

I have gone for the Yoko dbs 205/65/15 since a couple of months and must say that I am very impressed with them. Loads more grip, very silent and great cushioning. Enjoying the slight increase in GC as well.

I will of course instruct HASS not to touch them at all during service.
Old 7th June 2011, 16:00   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is a very good tip you shared. Thanks. Will do from now onwards. I was carrying on from my Ford and Hyundai experiences where things went according to verbal agreements and in case they had to change something or do something extra, they would call up.
I ensure two things. One, that the SA notes down everything I've mentioned and nothing more or less. Two (and this was after the pricing disaster during BQ's 1st FS as well as the pricing disaster during BQ's purchase), I ask them to call me up for any part replacement or labour - however large or small - other than for the specific issues I raised. I don't know how well this would've worked because 2nd, 3rd and 4th services didn't require any parts replacements or extra labour.

Quote:
Always regular fuel for my car.
+1

Quote:
For all 4 services, I have paid exactly the amount he had 'estimated' before the service.
Except for the 1st service, Pride Honda has generally been conservative with their estimates and I've so far ended up paying less than what they estimated. During the 3rd service the SA declined to give an estimate immediately as he didn't know the cost of oil. He informed me later on phone if I remember and once again it was conservative.

So yeah, exercising some care when the job card is being prepared, works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Enjoying the slight increase in GC as well.
I'm sure you know this but there'll be slight difference in odo/speed numbers courtesy of the larger tyre circumference now. Do factor that into your mileage calculations, for instance. Here's an online calculator that could help.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th June 2011, 16:14   #1875
BHPian

As per Instruction manual and got it confirmed with Honda too they only recommend Normal Unleaded Petrol.

@ dot
the cost of AT oil is way hight i did mine from linkway honda for 800srs with labour included.

what did they exactly do in fuel system cleaning ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks