Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 15:11   #1891
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Of course the adviser will demean the after market part, after all they have vested interest.

I have installed after market Nissin pads in my car and they have been great so far. I also compared them to the original pads in my car and they seem to be the same. And at 1500 or so for a set the difference in pricing it far too big to ignore.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 15:24   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
+1 I too use regual petrol, mostly Shell Regular.
About Shell regular, is the increase in F/E worth the extra cost? I think not, but I've never tried it on the Civic. I was a regular at Shell when their prices were the same as that of the govt. oil companies (a few years back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
But once every 15+ odd tankfulls I use the premium fuel, Just a to have a personal satisfaction, thinking that the additives clean the Fuel injectors & sledge busters to a small extent
I wouldn't do that if I were you. In all likelihood all that gunk goes and gets deposited at the valve seats (there is an article on this by an ex-BAL employee I've attached with an older post in this thread). Of course I haven't heard a second/alternate theory.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th June 2011, 15:27   #1893
BANNED

@hiren.mistry; The are the same. Car manufacturers are mostly assemblers. They get the various parts made all over and assemble with these parts. Same foe xGO - basically a standard oil with a premium tag for the sticker. Some years back when I had the Esteem and Zen, I saw Shell MGO. Looked at it closely, the API rating indicated that it was the cheaper of the two mineral oils, at the price of the expensive one. Similarly, for the Maruti Air Filter, it was twice the price for the equivalent from Purolator. Also, the vendor gave a discount of 15%+.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:36   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Of course the adviser will demean the after market part, after all they have vested interest.

I have installed after market Nissin pads in my car and they have been great so far. I also compared them to the original pads in my car and they seem to be the same. And at 1500 or so for a set the difference in pricing it far too big to ignore.
So this is interesting..... if this is proven then I can at least try on my front disc and try for 5-10K.... I think there is no harm in that as they are roughly 3 times cheaper. (Only thing is I should be able to get original Nissin pads )
Old 8th June 2011, 15:44   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
So this is interesting..... if this is proven then I can at least try on my front disc and try for 5-10K.... I think there is no harm in that as they are roughly 3 times cheaper. (Only thing is I should be able to get original Nissin pads )
I would try that with a part that is non-critical to the safety of the car. Since the after-market pads are not marketed here by NISSIN, there is no way to find out whether they are original.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:53   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I would try that with a part that is non-critical to the safety of the car. Since the after-market pads are not marketed here by NISSIN, there is no way to find out whether they are original.
If it is not marked somewhere as nissin then this is tough.... will see it first and then decide.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:57   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
About Shell regular, is the increase in F/E worth the extra cost? I think not, but I've never tried it on the Civic. I was a regular at Shell when their prices were the same as that of the govt. oil companies (a few years back).

Regards,
spadix
In Pune Shell has reduced their prices to 72.95/-
So they are much more closer to the prices of govt oil companies now.
The earlier Rs. 10 difference was way too hight.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 18:14   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
That's possible and its the same mindset I had when I decided to go the after market way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
For me all the parts in the car are critical. The after market spares are not marketed here, infact none of Honda parts are supposed to be available outside of the service stations, but they are available.
These parts are imported from Thailand/Malaysia and they get the same FD1 as us.

I've seen brake pads for a low as 500, these are the refurbished ones.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 8th June 2011 at 18:16.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:40   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
For me all the parts in the car are critical. The after market spares are not marketed here, infact none of Honda parts are supposed to be available outside of the service stations, but they are available.
These parts are imported from Thailand/Malaysia and they get the same FD1 as us.

I've seen brake pads for a low as 500, these are the refurbished ones.
I said: "non-critical to the safety of the car". I don't mind taking a chnace with an air filter or a wiper blade or a tail lamp assembly. Brakes are a bit too risky. Rs 4500 is a small price for a component that lasts for 25K to 50K kms. After all, it's for a car that costs 15L!
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 00:28   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Since its round about wiper changing season, i thought of posting the cost of the Bosch Aerotwins, as they are known to be of extremely good quality.
Price for a pair of Aerotwins for the civic will set you back by 2,600 K
as told to me today by the dealer, from whom i got my Matiz wipers replaced.
Went in for the normal Bosch wipers as the Matiz is more of a second car.
But to be noted the previous Bosch that i had on must have been on for about 3-4 years. and was still in decent service condition. So yeah i kind of vouch for their quality.
Drive Safe!
Old 9th June 2011, 02:25   #1901
BHPian

Replaced the wiper rubber of my silver rocket from honda A.S.S Cost
Right rubber-750rs
Left rubber- 850rs

surprisingly the main Left side blade which holds the rubber was little bent in the left most part hence not cleaning the bottom post patch of the glass
A.S.S said to replace it for cost of 900rs

I simply lifted it bent it to flat shape again by little bit of Hand force and then checked its cleaning and wiping ability it was perfect.
I said to A.S.S
"sorry to kill your 900rs"

look on his face was worth it.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:57   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Right rubber-750rs
Left rubber- 850rs

Wow, Honda prices have really gone through the roof. Last year I changed my wiper rubber for around 814 rs - both.

Does this price also include labour charge?
Old 9th June 2011, 10:02   #1903
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right rubber-750rs
Left rubber- 850rs
Quote:
Wow, Honda prices have really gone through the roof. Last year I changed my wiper rubber for around 814 rs - both.

Does this price also include labour charge?
Now my turn to say that something strange is going on. This time Mumbai prices are higher than Pune. I bought the right wiper blade for 430 something, two weeks back during the 40k service. They didnt have the left blade in stock. Together they would cost about 850 odd. No labour.

Quote:
I said to A.S.S
"sorry to kill your 900rs"

Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
So this is the piece of equipment for which one has to shell out around 3.3k ? Exorbitantly priced, I would say. Not to comment on the labour for R&R of the same.
Well what to do. After seeing the accumulated dirt, I felt it was a good thing that the strainer was changed. Anyways HASS insists that it is part of 40k service.

Last edited by dot : 9th June 2011 at 10:05.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:31   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
About Shell regular, is the increase in F/E worth the extra cost? I think not, but I've never tried it on the Civic.
I don't find much of a difference in FE with shell petrol, it's just a marginal. .say around 0.5kmpl when compared with other PSU - UNADULTRATED petrol.
Y Shell ?
Quality + Quantity + peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
In Pune Shell has reduced their prices to 72.95/-
So they are much more closer to the prices of govt oil companies now.
The earlier Rs. 10 difference was way too hight.
It's 71.95Rs/L here in Bangalore, hardly 80 Paise more than PSU bunks.
When the difference is more than 4Rs, I switch over to Govt bunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
the civic will set you back by 2,600 K
as told to me today by the dealer,
Would rather suggest you to just change the wiper rubber for approx 900Rs, than spending 2600Rs on Bosch rubbers.
I have used the bosch rubbers many a times, I know the quality is good, but even the OEM Honda wiper rubbers are equally good for a civic.

Quote:
Last year I changed my wiper rubber for around 814 rs - both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I bought the right wiper blade for 430 something, two weeks back during the 40k service. They didnt have the left blade in stock. Together they would cost about 850 odd. No labour.
Yep, even I too changed my RHS wiper blade very recently ( a month back during my 40K service), it was 440Rs including Tax at Magnum Honda.

@jatinpatel, I'm sure Honda is taking you for a ride , that's too much for a wiper rubber. Please check for the price in other Honda A.S.S in your city.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:36   #1905
BANNED

You get any wiper. The rubber will harden in two years. Syndicate are OE for most popular cars.

Most Viewed