Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 17:51   #2296
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
T
Nissin does make brake parts for a lot of Jap brands,only hope what you got was pucca OE.
Several parts in the current Civic are sourced from Nissin. Even the auto transmission is sourced from Nissin. So if genuine Nissin brake pads are available at 0.3 of the Honda OEM cost, I think it is a great deal.
Old 21st August 2011, 07:56   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk
This bouncing of the blade happens only on the right side and this is the second instance. Never on the left side.
The same's the case on my car. The RHS wiper has been leaving streaks for some time now and I noticed only a day or so back that the extreme right stretch (around 1.5 inch) of the RHS blade is jumping rather than gliding over the glass.

The car's a little over an year old and the LHA wiper blade is just fine so the reason could be some stuff lodged into that bit or maybe it's the hard water I use to wash the car with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
The bulbs render a white light. Not too irritating though. I have no clue how to demonstrate, specially now the older bulbs being taken off, how can we compare on photos?
The thought of taking a picture of both Scorp and BQ with headlights on struck me during our brief meet but given where the cars were parked it would have been dangerous, so I just let it be.

But I for one would really appreciate looking at Chicca and Scorp together with lights on. The Civic's stock headlamps were bad for Hyderabad conditions. In Gurgaon they're positively useless! I need to upgrade soon.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 11:58   #2298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Several parts in the current Civic are sourced from Nissin. Even the auto transmission is sourced from Nissin. So if genuine Nissin brake pads are available at 0.3 of the Honda OEM cost, I think it is a great deal.
Nissin? Aren't they the makers of Top Ramen noodles?
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 13:52   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Found these old threads if anyones interested in reading.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...st-driven.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ally-here.html

Also check out

8th Generation Civic - Launch and Car Coverage
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 21:01   #2300
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Nissin? Aren't they the makers of Top Ramen noodles?
Oogway: "noodles, no noodles, you are too concerned about what was and what will be".
Name:  vlcsnap9888296.png
Views: 805
Size:  114.0 KB

Guys, I have a burning question.

Today, during a long drive I noticed that the HU switching off and restarting on its own several times. During idle, the AC also restarted along the HU. Once I flashed high beam and the HU restarted. What does this mean? Some fuse gone or battery is about to retire? Help will be deeply appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:39   #2301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HU switching off and restarting on its own several times. During idle, the AC also restarted along the HU. Once I flashed high beam and the HU restarted. What does this mean? Some fuse gone or battery is about to retire? Help will be deeply appreciated.
the HU goes off only in case of voltage going low caused by hi amps drawn elsewhere in the elec system ; notice this happening when you start the car when the starter(of a Jap petrol car) draws approx 100A.

I think you should look for the following:

a:loose wiring in the dash or loose fuse which could be causing voltage dips
b:check battery voltage with alternator running - should be approx 13.8-14.2V
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:05   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, I had my first issue with my 18 month old car. Well, sort of. I was out of town for 3 weeks and my car was completely idle during this time. Had done this many times in the last year or so and it never created a problem so far. Morning when I was about to start to office, my car just did not start. Usually it starts in first attempt and if left idle for some days it starts up in couple of attempts. But today, it just did not start even after trying some 10-12 times. Battery looked fine, lights are working properly, and the motor is cranking as well. Half tank petrol was there. Then I opened the hood and checked visually and everything looked fine. Oil level was not properly recognizable on the dipstick and I was worried about this. Then I called up Dakshin Honda service. They offered to call back soon. Then once again as a last attempt I tried to start the car and in about 2-3 attempts it started up. After that it did not have any issue so far. DH guys say it may be a battery issue since the car was idle for 3 weeks. I am not sure about this as I think 3 weeks is too little a time for battery to go low. I felt it was something to do with fuel supply as the motor was cranking and the engine refused to start up. Oil level didnt seem an issue since there are no indicators of that in the console. Not sure why dipstick showed almost no trace of oil. Any way I am takng the car for second paid service tomorrow which is due this month.

Any experiences like this for Civic owners here?

Incidentally my 11 year old Santro starts in the first attempt even when left idle for a couple of months! Honda systems my be too complex...?

Last edited by vasoo : 22nd August 2011 at 12:08.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:28   #2303
BHPian

My car too remains idle for long periods of time often.
So far, max of 10 days.
Has always started on the first crank.

The only time I had starting problems was when my battery went dead.
(yours should also be a battery problem).

(Odo at 91K, 4.25 years old)

Last edited by manim : 22nd August 2011 at 12:30.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:40   #2304
BHPian

Never had this issue just recently I was in India and after 74 days, It started in first crank.....
Rather I have a very different issue If I keep my car parked for long with hand break on then after releasing it the breaks gives sound as if they are not released and then with in 5-10 mtr. it is normal so now I don't use hand break when I have to park for long time rather I use gear...

How old is your battery... as mine is just 8-9 month old.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:17   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
But today, it just did not start even after trying some 10-12 times. Then once again as a last attempt I tried to start the car and in about 2-3 attempts it started up. DH guys say it may be a battery issue since the car was idle for 3 weeks.
Any experiences like this for Civic owners here?
I believe it is either a petrol supply issue or that your ecu sensed something wrong in the first attempt.

No issue with the battery,else you'd have not been able to crank the car.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:43   #2306
BHPian

Quote:

Guys, I have a burning question.

Today, during a long drive I noticed that the HU switching off and restarting on its own several times. During idle, the AC also restarted along the HU. Once I flashed high beam and the HU restarted. What does this mean? Some fuse gone or battery is about to retire? Help will be deeply appreciated.
Dot,

See this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-problems.html

The exact same thing happened to me sometime ago, I posted the same question in this very thread without getting a satisfactory answer. The good news is that it has nothing to with the alternator or the battery going bad. This was happening because of the electrical cable somewhere in the car getting grounded. Normally happens only on long drives (Not too sure why).

In fact, I had the Check Engine Light also used to go on at times and the clock used to get reset.

This probably happens often on Civic's as the SA could diagnose it immediately and fix it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by patron : 22nd August 2011 at 15:02.
patron is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:10   #2307
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
The exact same thing happened to me sometime ago,

This probably happens often on Civic's as the SA could diagnose it immediately and fix it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, patron. Can you let us know how the SA fixed the issue?
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:31   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, patron. Can you let us know how the SA fixed the issue?
I was told that there was an exposed cable that was 'sealed'. I did not verify this personally but the problem has been resolved.
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:00   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Dot have no clue as to what it could be. But Ramesh bhai could know.
I once saw a merc go to him for airbag check light issue.

Regarding when the battery is dead.
You will not hear the starter motor at all.
When you try to crank, the digital display lights will start flashing rapidly, and you will hear clicking sounds.
I called up Honda RSA who were prompt in their response and sent a mobile unit to jump start me within an hour. But I had to replace the battery the next day.
Hope this helps.
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:11   #2310
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I was told that there was an exposed cable that was 'sealed'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Dot have no clue as to what it could be. But Ramesh bhai could know.
The issue has been resolved, The ground cable below the battery was loose. As soon as it was fixed, the problem was sorted out. So it was indeed a grounding issue. Thanks guys, for helping me on this.

Incidentally I am driving the car with only the driver's seat in it. Even the HU and aircon control unit has been taken out. It is a funny feeling, like driving a tempo. In case folks are wondering why I have suddenly decided to increase the power/weight ratio, let me clarify that this is just temporary. The ICE installation is ongoing and will take one or two more days to complete. You know, this is Pune.

Furthermore, in this undressed state, the 10% residual auto-tensioner noise has completely gone. Somehow, the noise is related to the blower/HVAC system. Rather, the high load conditions at low rpm is the culprit. I was recently talking to someone who makes his own composite one seater airplanes and ECU remaps of his pick-ups; he was saying that low oil pressure could be an issue. He advised me to try out straight oils instead of multigrade ones. Straight oil may increase oil pressure at low rpm as high viscosity oil will generate high oil pressure. I will check the oil pressure using the OBD device sometime soon. I wonder where we can obtain straight oil thesedays.

Last edited by dot : 22nd August 2011 at 22:14.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks