Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:54   #2431
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Gaurav, Thanks for the post. Basically this says that we need to be alert all the time, regardless of badges and brand names. One question, how did the old oil look after 14.5 k of service. Did anyone notice anything?
Well, you're most welcome sir and you're certainly right as well, one has to be very careful about few basic thing regardless of brands. This specific car used to consume over a litre of oil in 5k kms and was topped up at every 5k kms during service. Once the warranty of the car got over at 40k kms. I asked the ASC to put their synthetic oil. Since then the car has not consumed engine oil. Its strange and surprising as to how and why the oil consumption went nil from 1L every 5k kms.

Even after 14.5k kms, the oil looked better than what mineral oil looks after 10k kms. If you dont drive hard often, switching to ide-mitsui (Honda) synthetic and using it for 15k kms/1 year will be a good idea.

On another note, I used mineral oil in my cedia till 65k kms and there was no consumption at all. At 65k I used Motul synthetic oil recommended by Mitsubishi and my car started consuming about 5-600 ml of oil every 5k kms. The oil also lost its viscosity at around 10k kms. I know I drive hard but I still have a feeling that there was something with that specific bottle of synthetic oil. It was over 1.5 year old.. At 75k, I changed the oil to castrol edge and improvements compared to motul are noticeable. Even the oil levels havent dropped in 2k + kms..lets see how it goes.

But Ide-Mitsui synthetic certainly was a pleasant surprise..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd October 2011 at 21:05.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:06   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
door/hindges lubrication 2700
brake pad cleaning 300
In four-plus years and at 92K, I have never paid for the above mentioned jobs.

Brake -pad cleaning cost is included in the minimum labour-cost Honda charges every 10K. So I think it should NOT be charged extra.
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:56   #2433
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

Even after 14.5k kms, the oil looked better than what mineral oil looks after 10k kms. If you dont drive hard often, switching to ide-mitsui (Honda) synthetic and using it for 15k kms/1 year will be a good idea.
This is a very useful observation. It is good to know that the state of the oil does not deteriorate too much after 15k of service. My car is running on Idemitsu oil, and the engine feels like it is running on butter.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:53   #2434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A couple of question's to all Civic owners.

Tackling speed breakers-Will it be right to shift all the way down to 1st while crawling over a speed breaker or shall i glide over it using second and the clutch which is the method i use in my 800.In the civic i find the car comes to almost a stall in second.Which gear you guys use to tackle the hump?
1st gear all the time. Try going over a large hump in the second gear and the car will go gadagadagada.., unless you ride the clutch (which is not recommended).

Quote:
Groaning sound from the wheel-I am hearing a typical groaning and creaking sound from the front passenger side wheel while starting off.It's not a rattling sound but rather like the sound of a old door being opened that kind of sound.I hope it's not mounts as my mechanic and the HASS have not mentioned anything about same during the routine checkup/service.Any idea what the sound could be?
The brake pads needs to be adjusted. Ask the service guy to check the brakes on the front passenger side wheel.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd October 2011 at 11:55.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:35   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Tackling speed breakers-Which gear you guys use to tackle the hump?
If my exit speed from the 'breaker is going to be >= 11 kmph I take it in second. If it's going to be lower, first it is.

Of course, this knowledge comes from experience, load conditions and prevalent traffic conditions among a few other things. So my first encounter with any unknown, well-detected-in-advance speed-breaker is to take it in 1st. Once I gain enough experience with a speed-breaker and feel comfortable attacking it at around 14-16 kmph, vanquishing it at around 12-14 kmph and eventually finishing it off at 11+ kmph, I start taking it in second.

By the way, 11 is on level ground. If the road's sloping downwards, 10 in second is fine too.

And all of the above is with only me on board. Under load, there's no question of not taking a 'breaker in 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Do you guys notice that the metal between the inside and outside panel of the door frame and body frame gets very dirty in civic? There doesn't seem to be any rubber gasket on the outer panel of the door making water and dirt go in between the gaps. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Are you talking about the door jambs? Yes, dirt/grime/mud/slush/water collects very easily in there. When we were in Hyderabad and used to wash our car on our own, a lot of water used to collect there because of our technique. The car-cleaning guy here uses the "standard car-cleaning guy" technique which results in less slush gathering in there, but at the expense of hordes and hordes of swirl marks.

I haven't really gotten down to it but I don't know if blocking that gap can lead to other less savoury consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Brake -pad cleaning cost is included in the minimum labour-cost Honda charges every 10K. So I think it should NOT be charged extra.
I don't know. In the recent 20k service I'd specifically asked the brakes to be checked because of the sound I started hearing around mid-way into my relocation drive. In addition to the 20k major service labour charge, they charged an additional 300 or 400 for brake *disc* cleaning.

Now I don't know if brake *pad* cleaning is the same (or not) as brake *disc* cleaning.

In any case INR 400 for cleaning a set of 4 discs is a bit rich. Isn't it enough to just vacuum the hell out of those things or is some dis-assembly/assembly required?

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:13   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I will be taking my baby for a 10k service next Saturday, luckily just checked regarding synthetic oil.

The service guy told me they have no Mobil 1 synthetic oil, "only Honda" branded synthetic.

Query: I wanted to change over to synthetic oil as have completed 10k and want either Mobil 1 or Shell.
What should I do in this case?

help.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th October 2011, 12:35   #2437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Guys,

I will be taking my baby for a 10k service next Saturday, luckily just checked regarding synthetic oil.

The service guy told me they have no Mobil 1 synthetic oil, "only Honda" branded synthetic.

Query: I wanted to change over to synthetic oil as have completed 10k and want either Mobil 1 or Shell.
What should I do in this case?

Thanks in advance
Where do you send your car for service? Honda uses idemitsu synthetic which is not bad at all. Incase you want Mobil1 or Shell then go ahead and buy it yourself and ask them to use that. That is what I do.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:00   #2438
Senior - BHPian

I take it to Apex Honda at Worli. While taking the service appointment spoke to a guy called Mathew - he said "Honda recommends its own oil and we do not use Mobil or any other".
If he starts talking things like they will not change to Mobil or Shell, is idemitsu equally good?
Should I insist on being present while the oil change is being done?

Thanks Akshay!

I wanted to have the 3M interior/exterior cleaning polishing done there as well. They quote 3500/- bucks, is it worthwhile to get it done at Apex or go somewhere else for it?

Last edited by Cyborg : 5th October 2011 at 13:03. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:10   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I take it to Apex Honda at Worli. While taking the service appointment spoke to a guy called Mathew - he said "Honda recommends its own oil and we do not use Mobil or any other".
If he starts talking things like they will not change to Mobil or Shell, is idemitsu equally good?

Thanks Akshay!

I wanted to have the 3M interior/exterior cleaning polishing done there as well. They quote 3500/- bucks, is it worthwhile to get it done at Apex or go somewhere else for it?
They will put whatever oil you give them. They will not stock other than Idemitsu. Also they may create fuss about warranty. That is why Akshay said, just use Honda synthetic, any difference is probably negligible and not worth the effort / time persuading these chaps.

Re: 3M - entirely your call. They just finished 2 mega camps - they were offering large discounts on these jobs.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:35   #2440
BANNED

Quote:
I provided my own Mobil 1 at the 6 month service and had no issues. They just asked me to make a note on the service slip, which I did, something like,"4 litres, of Shell Mobil 1 0W40, Full Synthetic, API-SM" provided by me. I think I may switch to Idemitsu 0W30 Full Synth this December. There is no reason to think why it should not be be Ok, and maybe save me a thousand rupees. It may be badged SavSol!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th October 2011 at 15:19. Reason: changed API-SL to API-SM as requested.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:00   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
They will put whatever oil you give them. They will not stock other than Idemitsu. Also they may create fuss about warranty. That is why Akshay said, just use Honda synthetic, any difference is probably negligible and not worth the effort / time persuading these chaps.

Re: 3M - entirely your call. They just finished 2 mega camps - they were offering large discounts on these jobs.
Thanks Sandeep and SGiitk!

Oh-oh, I did not know about these camps? Where were they held?

Yes, I think might as well put the Idemitsu synthetic oil and avoid the hassles. Do you guys think I should insist on being present while they change the oil or the Honda guys would not cheat on us.

Sorry - cannot figure out the multi-quote option
Old 5th October 2011, 15:07   #2442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks Akshay!

Honestly its upto you what oil you use. The Honda guys wont cheat you and the oil should be pretty good. Last time I gave my own Shell oil and got it put in the Accord. Gonna do that again this time.

Well as for the 3M. Why not pay 1k more and get it done from a place like Kamyo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...rs-mumbai.html
They will come to your house and certainly do a better job than the guys at Honda.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:33   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Honestly its upto you what oil you use. The Honda guys wont cheat you and the oil should be pretty good. Last time I gave my own Shell oil and got it put in the Accord. Gonna do that again this time.

Well as for the 3M. Why not pay 1k more and get it done from a place like Kamyo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...rs-mumbai.html
They will come to your house and certainly do a better job than the guys at Honda.
Thanks Akshay - will check out Kamyo as well.
Old 5th October 2011, 16:35   #2444
BHPian

Hey guys,
I've recently bought a civic AT (pre-owned) in Mumbai and the only nagging issue is the brakes. I searched this forum for an answer but couldn't find it. The brake pedal basically needs to be pressed really hard to brake and even after doing so, the "bite" is completely lacking. I asked the linkway honda A.S.S. advisor to have a look at the brake pads and he said it is completely fine. Although he didnt seem too knowledgeable i took his word for it and continued driving. The car remains driveable but after driving other civics i am now sure that the braking of my car is definitely 50% worse than a normal civic. I have got different opinions regarding the cause such as brake disc needs skimming, pads need to be replaced, even that the car might have been in a bad accident. Any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 6th October 2011, 01:44   #2445
BHPian

Get the disks skimmed and if the discs have become too thin to be skimmed replace them, Also change your brake pads.

Both of the above has to be done together, and while at this also replace the brake fluid over the years the viscosity changes and effects brake performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks