Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:12   #2701
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Just wanted to report that I got a mileage of 18.3 kmpl on the bangalore-chennai highway. I did not cross 100 kmph on speed and drove sedate.

The fuel efficiency indicator was showing 21.1 kmpl. I had taken the snap but lost it somehow. Will need to check again.

I think the car is capable of giving out 20 kmpl if driven at 80 kmph steadily.

I know this car is not bought for mileage, but was pleasantly surprised at the nice FE that i got..
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:16   #2702
BHPian

@sammy

your car is an automatic or manual ?
cause manual do give such mileage but i have my doubts regarding slush-boxes though.
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:40   #2703
BHPian

My car is a sep-2010 V-MT. Yes you are right, but do'nt you think even the AT would only give lesser mileage of around 1.5 kmpl to 2 kmpl, under similar driving conditions.
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:52   #2704
BHPian

Well i think AT can give say around 17 or so but one has to be careful with the throttle inputs as its very easy to cross 80 in that car
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:15   #2705
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
My car is a sep-2010 V-MT. Yes you are right, but do'nt you think even the AT would only give lesser mileage of around 1.5 kmpl to 2 kmpl, under similar driving conditions.
Honda Civic AT (like most high end ATs) has a Torque Converter Lockup - i.e., above a certain speed the torque converter is disabled. In fact as per the US EPA highway mileage of the At is 1mpg higher - I think sue to the tall gearing of about 50kph/1000 revs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Well i think AT can give say around 17 or so but one has to be careful with the throttle inputs as its very easy to cross 80 in that car
I have seen a maximum of 16.4. Indicated kpl may cross 17 but there is normally a 12-15% difference in reality. Realistically, expect about 12-13 kpl from the AT.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:57   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
@sammy

your car is an automatic or manual ?
cause manual do give such mileage but i have my doubts regarding slush-boxes though.
A/T can give good mileage as well.Please see my post on this page:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-168.html
Old 10th January 2012, 16:03   #2707
Senior - BHPian

[Posted this in my ownership thread, reposting it here]

There is a strange smell that comes when you start the AC, i am not sure why that is the case (Seems to be dust smell). There might be a need to clean some air filter or something. It's only there when starting the AC and soon goes away in few seconds.

Anyone has any clue how to go about fixing it, or is there a DIY for this?
Old 10th January 2012, 19:33   #2708
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

There is a strange smell that comes when you start the AC, i am not sure why that is the case (Seems to be dust smell). There might be a need to clean some air filter or something. It's only there when starting the AC and soon goes away in few seconds.

This issue has been reported by many owners, including me. Many times the issue resolves itself with time.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:27   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys push your cars on the highway literally?? How come you'll get mileage like that on a Civic.

My AT gives me like 10 to 12 max on the highway.

And what is sedate driving in a Civic? (being sarcastic here).

Good to know that the Civic gives that kind of mileage. Maybe when Petrol hits 100, I'll think about hypermiling!
Old 10th January 2012, 20:33   #2710
BHPian

Hello all

So finally AC coil did completely failed three days ago and got the coil replaced and ac system cleaned and serviced, New coil was original honda Showa denso for 9.7k from opera house. the complete job with AC service and all was done in 13.5k.

All i can is the AC CHILLS to the BONES

Now next month would be getting the original Exide Battery changed as its showing minor signs of aging and being an automatic would like to play safe and would be replacing it
I would be preferring maintenance free sealed battery have got choices like
Amaron
Exide
Bosch
Prestolite

Been using Prestolite batteries since ages now and bosch too
experienced the Amaron in my friends car and the cold cranking found to be good.
for the Amaron maintenance free battery have been quoted 6852rs -500rs for the old battery.

what would you suggest folks ?
And also

Has anyone here tried using any other synthetic oil other than Idemitsu 0w-30 in civic ? and if used what grade and company and any minor difference observed over the Idemitsu ?
have been recommended Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40 i am open to even more options.
Somehow i dont trust castrol due to adulteration in their products
Old 10th January 2012, 22:28   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

I had faced this problem just after 10K km.Get the service guys to clean the entire A/C & blower assembly.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:54   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Do you guys push your cars on the highway literally?? How come you'll get mileage like that on a Civic.

My AT gives me like 10 to 12 max on the highway.

And what is sedate driving in a Civic? (being sarcastic here).

Good to know that the Civic gives that kind of mileage. Maybe when Petrol hits 100, I'll think about hypermiling!
With a bit of Pushing (read without extra loads),One should achieve 30 KMPL I guess. And Sedate driving is a very unique style of driving that is NOT meant to be done in a Civic except while on some weird experiment to beat the economics of a Diesel car.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:48   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
Now next month would be getting the original Exide Battery changed as its showing minor signs of aging and being an automatic would like to play safe and would be replacing it
I would be preferring maintenance free sealed battery have got choices like
Amaron
Exide
Bosch
Prestolite

Been using Prestolite batteries since ages now and bosch too
experienced the Amaron in my friends car and the cold cranking found to be good.
for the Amaron maintenance free battery have been quoted 6852rs -500rs for the old battery.

what would you suggest folks ?
Here are the details about my battery replacement:

New Amaron model:55B24LS, after my Exide oem died after 2.8 years with odo at 57,087 kms.
Cost was Rs.4,950 minus Rs.400 for the old one (this was in Feb 2010 and prices may have risen).

Battery is now two years old and is good.
Odo is now at 99,088 kms.
(Will be doing my 1 lakh routine service next month and will post details here).

I will go for Amaron again next time.

Last edited by manim : 11th January 2012 at 01:55.
Old 11th January 2012, 02:01   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Thanks. I dont think my brakes discs and pads are due for replacement at 14K kms. Need to check out other possibilities.
@vasoo, run your finger over the front discs and see if there are any undulations. I had a similar issue around the 14K mark. I checked the front discs - and they did have some concentric undulations. Similar on both discs. The rears are fine. The effect was some amount of vibrations (feels somewhat like ABS kicking in) - but only when braking from very high speeds.

I had the SA have a look. He too did say the discs had 'marks' which were unnatural for a MT car with 14clicks .. but he said they would last some more time. The ODO stands at 18.5K kms. 99% times I do not have any issue, since highway drives have been rare recently. And within city there are no braking issues (even when braking from 100-120 speeds).

I have braked from 'max' speeds too in these months - a couple of times, albeit normally ie not emergency braking. While the vibration is perceptible, effectiveness seems ok.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:55   #2715
BANNED

A few concentric shallow scratches are not abnormal at all. There is always a cheaper option get the discs slightly faced. As long as the material removed is not too much, and the disc is thicker than the minimum specified you should be Ok. My guess is removing up to 0.030" should be Ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks