Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 20:30   #2881
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
does the alternator not supersede the battery when the car is in motion
This is true.

I have seen this problem of dimmed dash lights and other dances in the display when my battery was getting weak. The car cranked up fine, and somewhere in between I had this problem. And on checking the battery on return it showed 1 cell weak. The car still cranked fine with it atleast for a few more days.

The battery acts mostly like a smoothing agent while the alternator does its job while running.

You can start the car, while the car is started and running, remove the battery and drive the car around and see what happens

While it does not help your query, I would be interested to know about this aspect. Anybody?

Last edited by laluks : 17th February 2012 at 20:31.
Old 19th February 2012, 21:38   #2882
BHPian

I bought a 2007 Civic last month and now in the process of giving a beauty treatment to it.

I have two unresolved issues which are troubling me.

First about the wheel alloys.

As is clearly visible in the photos posted below, the OEM alloys have developed some discoloration on their five ribs. The alloys look as if their ribs are chrome plated and not painted/treated. What is the solution. Can I request all folks who have 2007 Civics to kindly comment on the status of their alloys.

Second about the instrumentation console.

It appears to me that the plastic cover of the larger console having the RPM meter etc is scratched so it appears fogged however much I clean it. This is clearly visible in the photo below. I want to change the plastic cover. Can someone tell me its nomenclature in trade lingo so that I can explain it to Honda in Chennai.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_1440.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_1447.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_1452.jpg
Old 20th February 2012, 10:45   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
While alternator takes over the regular functions like spark plugs and other internal electricals, any usage of high power devices (headlight flashing, ICE etc) will still impact the batteries. The issue however may be due to loose connections somewhere including battery cables. Have it checked up at service centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vasoo; at 80kph the alternator will be churning out its full juice (60 or is it 100A) so even flashing of lights should be taken in its stride. Also, if the battery was that far gone the car should not crank!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
This is true.

I have seen this problem of dimmed dash lights and other dances in the display when my battery was getting weak. The car cranked up fine, and somewhere in between I had this problem. And on checking the battery on return it showed 1 cell weak. The car still cranked fine with it atleast for a few more days.

The battery acts mostly like a smoothing agent while the alternator does its job while running.

You can start the car, while the car is started and running, remove the battery and drive the car around and see what happens

While it does not help your query, I would be interested to know about this aspect. Anybody?

Well, some update. Yesterday being a Sunday, I did my routine cleaning of the car and decided to check for any loose connections, also opened up the fuse housing unit under the hood and nudged all the fuses in place just in case one of them was loose. Then as I came back and switched on the ignition there was a total black out and all lights went kaput. There was no sign of any life at all. Fearing the worst, I was wondering what to do and was trying to seek some help from the owner's manual when the power came back all of a sudden. After that, I was able to crank the engine and use the other controls normally.

Now, what could have caused this issue again ? This is resurfacing after a gap of three weeks now and am sure it had something to do with me opening the fuse box. Also, prior to that I did clean the air filter element. Is anyone able to read something out of this before I show it to the H.A.S.S ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 20th February 2012 at 10:46.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:43   #2884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
As is clearly visible in the photos posted below, the OEM alloys have developed some discoloration on their five ribs. The alloys look as if their ribs are chrome plated and not painted/treated. What is the solution. Can I request all folks who have 2007 Civics to kindly comment on the status of their alloys.
My 2007 Civic alloys look fine. And I think you can ignore the way your alloys look too. Doesn't look bad at all (actually, it looks cool )

Quote:

It appears to me that the plastic cover of the larger console having the RPM meter etc is scratched so it appears fogged however much I clean it.
Strangely, my used Civic too came with fogged up instrumentation console. It is just smudge/grime on the exterior of the console. But now its gone - the service guys did something to it. Most probably, they cleaned it with a cloth dipped in kerosene.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 11:59   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Then as I came back and switched on the ignition there was a total black out and all lights went kaput. There was no sign of any life at all.......After that, I was able to crank the engine and use the other controls normally.

What I can infer is there is a load demand somehow - could be a short, could be anything that demanded that heavy flow of current. Since the load demand was huge - the battery nor the alternator were able to service it resulting in this dip.

This requires careful elimination of electrical components using a systematic way. Either you can - if you have the patience and an understanding of the wiring diagram or leave it to HASS with you being around if you like so.

Let us start with the battery terminals. Are the connectors tight and with good contacts to the terminal?

Do you have rats issue who can chew up the insulation resulting in exposed wires and a short?
Old 20th February 2012, 12:22   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
about the wheel alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My 2007 Civic alloys look fine. And I think you can ignore the way your alloys look too. Doesn't look bad at all (actually, it looks cool )
+1 to @smartcat, my alloys too have minor discoloration, but I can live with it.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 14:04   #2887
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IFirst about the wheel alloys.

As is clearly visible in the photos posted below, the OEM alloys have developed some discoloration on their five ribs.
Thats a very weird discoloration. Haven't seen it before. If the metal has degraded, then there is nothing one can do. Except for paint or polish.

Do try cleaning with a power cleaner and a toothbrush, and followed by chrome/alloy wheel cleaner available in car accessories shops.

Quote:

It appears to me that the plastic cover of the larger console having the RPM meter etc is scratched so it appears fogged however much I clean it.
This type of scratches are very common, I have seen many Civics with this issue. Mostly it comes while applying "tika" during Puja times, then trying to rub it off with dry and rough cloth.

Most likely the clear plastic material is Polycarbonate (PC). There are methods to get rid of scratches from PC surface in form of sprays. Have not seen them on shelves here. As smartcat has suggested, H.A.S.S. may have a few in their kitty.

Last edited by dot : 20th February 2012 at 14:10.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 14:47   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thats a very weird discoloration. Haven't seen it before. If the metal has degraded, then there is nothing one can do. Except for paint or polish.

Do try cleaning with a power cleaner and a toothbrush, and followed by chrome/alloy wheel cleaner available in car accessories shops.
My wheels are in the same state. This is due to corrosion, aluminium oxidation, to be precise. A few solutions are there in the net.

1. use a penetrating oil with steel wool to clean.
2. Use a sand paper of grade 1200.

After doing any of the above, get a clear coat done on the wheel to prevent further corrosion.

Or, get the alloys painted.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 21:12   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My wheels are in the same state. This is due to corrosion, aluminium oxidation, to be precise. A few solutions are there in the net.

1. use a penetrating oil with steel wool to clean.
2. Use a sand paper of grade 1200.

After doing any of the above, get a clear coat done on the wheel to prevent further corrosion.

Or, get the alloys painted.
In 2007 V MT Civics the alloys have five ribs and each of these ribs is provided with a shiny finish unlike the rest of the alloy, which has burnished and dull finish. This can be easily seen in my photos posted above.

Herein lies the rub.

If I use a sandpaper on the rib will I get a shiny surface after the Al oxide is brushed off or will I get a dull finish like the rest of the alloy?

Any pointers?
Old 20th February 2012, 21:57   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
In 2007 V MT Civics the alloys have five ribs and each of these ribs is provided with a shiny finish unlike the rest of the alloy, which has burnished and dull finish. This can be easily seen in my photos posted above.

Herein lies the rub.

If I use a sandpaper on the rib will I get a shiny surface after the Al oxide is brushed off or will I get a dull finish like the rest of the alloy?

Any pointers?
A bit tricky, this is. The ribs are shiny, while the rest of the wheel has a rough finish. On top of that, from the first pic, I see that there is a kind of textured lines on the ribs. I guess, using fine sandpaper would make the surface shiny.

Let us know whether you end up with better looking ones. I would like to refurbish mine too.

ps: I think the alloys on the newer civics have a simpler design, and looks better as well.

Last edited by civic-sense : 20th February 2012 at 21:58.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 10:29   #2891
BHPian

My civiv, steering wheel leather has worn out.I was informed by Karlsson leather that it can be done but the finsh will not be oe.Other choice is to replace steering wheel.Any help in this matter would be appreciated
Old 21st February 2012, 10:54   #2892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Excellent!

Do let us know how you feel about these changes after a couple of tankfuls and few hundred kms on the odo.
I got a mileage of 20.54kmpl yesterday, this is total highway driving with constant speed of 85kmph / 2200 RPM & never exceeding 2500RPM.

No major difference is what I can say. But this is just from 1 tankful, so just can't say THANKS to K&N filter. I have got better mileage from my previous Air filter. It all depends on the driving conditions.

Quote:
I bought a 2007 Civic last month and now in the process of giving a beauty treatment to it.
Congrats on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking
I have two unresolved issues which are troubling me.
Quote:
First about the wheel alloys.

Civic alloys, the shiny part is Machine polished(surface grinding ), so except repainting the shiny part nothing much can be done.

Quote:
Buy a Headlight restoration kit(polish/wax), apply the same on the instrument cluster fibre panel, It should give away the foggy finish.
Even collinite 845 insulator wax helps if polished properly.

This is not a permanent solution, but a temporary relief for some months reapply the same if the same issue resurfaces.

But if it's fogged from inside, You have to remove the cluster & apply the wax inside.
sushrutha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 21:20   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Strangely, my used Civic too came with fogged up instrumentation console. It is just smudge/grime on the exterior of the console. But now its gone - the service guys did something to it. Most probably, they cleaned it with a cloth dipped in kerosene.
Thanks for your tip regarding using a cloth dipped in kerosene. Worked like magic.

Now though the scratches on the cover have not been eliminated they are much less prominent and visible only if you look for them.

And yes. The fogginess is gone too. Will try to post a photo.

Thanks once more.
Old 21st February 2012, 21:30   #2894
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your tip regarding using a cloth dipped in kerosene. Worked like magic.
That is great news. Do let us know if it remains like that even after a few days.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:20   #2895
BANNED

Quote:
In this case Diesel may do even batter - it is water soluble.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed