Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 15:02   #2941
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hey,

The clutch of my 2007 V MT civic is very hard. I have use my entire foot to press it, with even the heel leaving the floor. My 10 year old Maruti 800 is butter soft in comparison.

There is no other problem with the clutch. No slipping of gears or strange sounds etc.

Will, as the first step, changing the clutch fluid help?
Deja Vu. My 2007 pre-owned VMT Civic had a hard clutch too.

The clutch basically needs replacement. Cost - Rs. 12,000.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 20:47   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

The clutch of my 2007 V MT civic is very hard. I have use my entire foot to press it, with even the heel leaving the floor. My 10 year old Maruti 800 is butter soft in comparison.

There is no other problem with the clutch. No slipping of gears or strange sounds etc.

Will, as the first step, changing the clutch fluid help?
Suggest showing the car to a service center if there is diffculty in changing gears. Also check there are no obstructions under the clutch pedal which could restrict the movment of the clutch pedal.

My 800's clutch would feel hard at times and i noticed it was because of the rubber mat had worn out and would obstruct proper movment of the pedal.Once i removed the worn mat the clutch felt good as new.

Btw how many kms has your car clocked ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th March 2012 at 20:48.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 21:09   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Suggest showing the car to a service center if there is diffculty in changing gears. Also check there are no obstructions under the clutch pedal which could restrict the movment of the clutch pedal.

My 800's clutch would feel hard at times and i noticed it was because of the rubber mat had worn out and would obstruct proper movment of the pedal.Once i removed the worn mat the clutch felt good as new.

Btw how many kms has your car clocked ?
My Maruti 800 - 34000 km, its clutch is butter smooth though it is 10 yrs old.

My Civic - 52000 km, only four years old but the clutch feels very sluggish and lethargic. Its clutch has no other issues. No excessive play or sounds.

The travel/throw of the clutch lever does seem to be excessive. When it is completely unpressed it is very high. So much so that when I use the clutch I am unable to keep my left heel on the floor.

I have checked the car for any mechanical obstruction around the clutch pedal. Zilch.

Will be grateful for some pointers.
Old 4th March 2012, 21:15   #2944
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have checked the car for any mechanical obstruction around the clutch pedal. Zilch.

Will be grateful for some pointers.

Manual Civics do show this issue. I have seen quite a few old Civics with the same hard clutch problem. Do have a look at smartcat's older posts where he also reported a similar issue and clutch had to repaired.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 00:01   #2945
BHPian

@sdking

Well it will help but not to such a extent that it will be as soft and smooth as 800 clutch.

how many kms your car has done ?
But do get the fluid changed and rebleed the complete clutch hydraulic system and then see the difference.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 21:36   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sdking

Well it will help but not to such a extent that it will be as soft and smooth as 800 clutch.

how many kms your car has done ?
But do get the fluid changed and rebleed the complete clutch hydraulic system and then see the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Manual Civics do show this issue. I have seen quite a few old Civics with the same hard clutch problem. Do have a look at smartcat's older posts where he also reported a similar issue and clutch had to repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Deja Vu. My 2007 pre-owned VMT Civic had a hard clutch too.

The clutch basically needs replacement. Cost - Rs. 12,000.
Got the clutch assembly changed today, at MyTVS in Ambattur. Cost me 12000/-. The clutch is butter soft now.

Thanks for all the inputs, Guys.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 23:36   #2947
BHPian

We own a Honda Civic S AT, 2007 model, which has run over 100000 kms. It has been a relatively pleasant ownership experience but lately I have experiencing issues which are listed below:
1. There is excessive road noise filtering into the cabin. While I have expressed the same to the service centre numerous times, the SA says it is normal and returns the car back. What could be the possible cause for this?

2. During cold starts especially in the morning, there is a lot of clatter from the engine. The car almost sounds like a truck! But this clatter disappears within 5 mins of driving. Is this normal?
Old 5th March 2012, 23:56   #2948
BHPian

test drove civic today.first impression-the car feels damn sporty..and found it very comfortable to drive.but i find the pickup in 1st or second is good but car doesn't feel powerful say like at 80 in 5th gear.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:11   #2949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
test drove civic today.first impression-the car feels damn sporty..and found it very comfortable to drive.but i find the pickup in 1st or second is good but car doesn't feel powerful say like at 80 in 5th gear.
Probably you didnt try 7k rpm in 4th gear, you will be surprised to see the speeds it does in 4th at 6.5+k rpm. 5th is just for overdrive, slot in and cruze on highway, more so for good FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
We own a Honda Civic S AT, 2007 model, which has run over 100000 kms. It has been a relatively pleasant ownership experience but lately I have experiencing issues which are listed below:
1. There is excessive road noise filtering into the cabin. While I have expressed the same to the service centre numerous times, the SA says it is normal and returns the car back. What could be the possible cause for this?
What tires are you running on and how many kms have you done on them? Could be because of the tires.

Quote:
During cold starts especially in the morning, there is a lot of clatter from the engine. The car almost sounds like a truck! But this clatter disappears within 5 mins of driving. Is this normal?
Sounds like tappet noise. I believe civic has hydraulic (self adjusting tappets). Still ask the SA/Mechanic to have a look. Leave the car at ASC and go next morning and show them the noise on cold start. They might ask for replacement of some (if not all) lifters and tappets. But first get it checked.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th March 2012 at 04:26.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:21   #2950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gaurav_chopra is right. Excessive road noise is mostly because of old/bad tyres. You could also check & replace rubber beadings on the door frames & the windows - their job is to filter out road noise.

Quote:
2. During cold starts especially in the morning, there is a lot of clatter from the engine. The car almost sounds like a truck! But this clatter disappears within 5 mins of driving. Is this normal?
Petrol engine that has run 100,000 km clattering like a diesel is mostly because of worn out timing belt/timing chain. Now Honda Civic has a timing chain which is supposed to be maintenance free. But if the chain is not being lubricated properly, it could cause some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
VTEC engine wakes up after 3000 RPM. I guess @ 80 kmph in the 5th gear, the engine is ticking over at less than 2000 RPM.
Another cause for the engine clatter could be worn out engine mounts. Costs around Rs. 8,000 to replace.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:51   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Renewed my car insurance online with Bajaj Allianz for 15,655. Earlier it was insured with Tata AIG and they never bothered to even inform me about the due date. Wonder how these companies get business if they are not interested in retaining their customers.

Last edited by vasoo : 6th March 2012 at 09:53.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:46   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Petrol engine that has run 100,000 km clattering like a diesel is mostly because of worn out timing belt/timing chain. Now Honda Civic has a timing chain which is supposed to be maintenance free. But if the chain is not being lubricated properly, it could cause some issues.

I didnt get the maintenance free thing, boss. Is it that it doent need change?
As far as I recall, the timing chain in civic is recommended for change at 1 lac kms?

Also if its timing chain and its bearing, it will make noise throughout and wont go after 5 mins. In this case, the noise is only on cold start and goes of when the oil is rotated fully across the engine. The lifters and tappets make noise noise until they get properly lubricated with oil.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:03   #2953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I didnt get the maintenance free thing, boss. Is it that it doent need change?
As far as I recall, the timing chain in civic is recommended for change at 1 lac kms?
Timing chains last for a very long time. It's the timing belt (made out of rubber like material) that usually requires a change after 100,000 km.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-vs-chain.html

Quote:

Also if its timing chain and its bearing, it will make noise throughout and wont go after 5 mins. In this case, the noise is only on cold start and goes of when the oil is rotated fully across the engine. The lifters and tappets make noise noise until they get properly lubricated with oil.
My old Chevrolet Optra had the same "symptoms" at 80,000 kms. The problem went away after its timing belt was replaced.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th March 2012 at 15:07.
Old 6th March 2012, 19:07   #2954
BHPian

Back from the A.S.S. Got the clutch free play adjusted, now feels much better to the feet as well as to drive. The wheels seem to get more power now. Also as against earlier, now I need not start accelerating from depressing the clutch halfway itself between the gears.

Also got the guys to work on the dash-board vibration noise. The culprit again was the horn pad. Rectified and now the cabin is back to its original calm self.

Last edited by swarooppatil : 6th March 2012 at 19:15. Reason: Missed the dots in the A S S. Sorry for the misunderstanding created.
Old 6th March 2012, 21:06   #2955
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Recently I had fired up a 07 Civic with 137,000 Kms on it. It was a cold start and could hear a similar injector/ valve chatter. Suggest you to use a injector/ upper valve seat cleaner fluid available in auto accessories shops or good petrol pumps during a tankful and hopefully that the noise will reduce.

If not, timing chain could be the next source, just as the two gentlemen above were discussing. Valve adjustments may not be necessary as the noise goes down when engine is hot. This probably points out that gaps are fine.

Last edited by dot : 6th March 2012 at 21:08.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks